Two part Februrary trip - looking for recommendations.

bobcat

<font color=magenta>I had a horrible case two year
I have an extended family trip planned for June 2019 (grown kids, spouses and grandson) I am feeling the Disney pull and want to plan a trip for this coming February. My husband has never been to Disney and I would like to introduce him before our big trip. So one part of our trip will be two nights at the fort, a day at the MK, and either Hoop Dee Doo as I've never been and saw the update the rumor is it may be closing, or just spend time at Disney Springs since it's been a few years since my last visit.

My husband is a big kid and I know he will love WDW but he also has a head injury. I'm thinking a day at the MK to see how he handles it would be a good intro for him. Mornings are good for him and we can go back to the camper to rest and play with the dogs. It's a lot to spend for one day but that still gives us an option to upgrade if we want another day. This will be my first time maneuvering the parks planning for my husbands needs. Usually the kids and I were park comandos.

The part of the trip I don't know about and need help is camping outside WDW. We are state and national park campers usually but want to get in some beach time. We will also have our dogs with us as of right now. Any recommendations? Trying to keep this trip on a budget too.

Hiya bobcat. Let me offer my opinion.

First, I think it's a great idea to do a brief WDW visit in February. That way you and DH can be familiar with the camping angle of doing a Disney vacation before you host everyone else in June (which will be warm by then of course).

Second, with regards to beach time and camping nearby, I am assuming you also mean in the Central Florida area (and not meaning to go too far out of your travel path). In Central Florida there are a couple options. One thing to understand, though, is since it is February, there are the flocks of snowbirds that spend all winter or extended winter vacations in Florida so the typical state parks, etc. can be booked pretty full nearly a year in advance as people make their plans. Since most public campgrounds set a limit of 14 day stay per time period (30-, 60-, or 90-) there is a lot of turnover and you might be able to pick up a few days if you keep trying. You can check reviews for any of these at www.rvparkreviews.com (what I use). I also use Google Maps to zoom in and look at places in the satellite view

On the east coast of Florida, there is a Brevard County public campground on the Indian River near Titusville, FL (near the Kennedy Space Center) called Manatee Hammock. I am sure you can drive to a beach access point within a short distance. Sites appear nicely shaded.

http://nbbd.com/godo/prec/ManateeCamp/

In the same general area, near Port Canaveral (where the cruise ships go in and out) is a campground called Jetty Park. I am trying this place out for the first time this coming March

https://www.portcanaveral.com/jpc

No shade at all but you can watch the ships enter and leave the Cruise Terminal and maybe see a rocket launch from KSC. I am hoping to also catch some spring training baseball games in the general area.

Over on the west side of the state around Tampa is a Pinellas County campground, Fort DeSoto which is HIGHLY rated and has a great beach as well. I have visited this campground for a day visit but did not stay overnight. They have different loops based on pets, popup/tent, or RV/Trailer. It is a popular campground and county residents can book a reservation a few weeks earlier than out of town guests but you might snag a couple nights.

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/camping.htm

Finally not a beach experience but it might be worthwhile. My DD who is 20 LOVES manatees so we are going to visit Blue Spring State Park in Orange City, FL (just north of Orlando up I4). It is on the St John river where the springs pump out water at a constant temp and the manatees winter there in large groups numbering over 200. There are tours (you pay) in boats. But the neat thing is the campground has a walking trail to the day use area where all the drive in tourists go and you can see the manatees before the gate opens (it sounds REALLY popular). In February you should still have plenty of manatees there.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/blue-spring-state-park

Note, again, there is a day use section of the state park and a campground portion of the state park. Florida state parks use www.reserveamerica.com for reservations like Ohio parks do (I see from your avatar that you are in Ohio). So it's not the beach experience you asked for but it is a very unique Florida experience and it is near WDW.

Hope you find something that appeals to you and can get a couple nights to pair with your Fort vacation.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Thank you Bama Ed! That's exactly what I was looking for and appreciate you taking the time. The only place in Florida I have camped is the Fort and that's been several years ago.

We are pretty open to where and when we are going as this will not be my typical WDW trip. I'm learning to be flexible with my husbands health condition. I'm a planner by nature so it's been interesting.

We need a wow button for some of your responses!

Hiya bobcat. Let me offer my opinion.

First, I think it's a great idea to do a brief WDW visit in February. That way you and DH can be familiar with the camping angle of doing a Disney vacation before you host everyone else in June (which will be warm by then of course).

Second, with regards to beach time and camping nearby, I am assuming you also mean in the Central Florida area (and not meaning to go too far out of your travel path). In Central Florida there are a couple options. One thing to understand, though, is since it is February, there are the flocks of snowbirds that spend all winter or extended winter vacations in Florida so the typical state parks, etc. can be booked pretty full nearly a year in advance as people make their plans. Since most public campgrounds set a limit of 14 day stay per time period (30-, 60-, or 90-) there is a lot of turnover and you might be able to pick up a few days if you keep trying. You can check reviews for any of these at www.rvparkreviews.com (what I use). I also use Google Maps to zoom in and look at places in the satellite view

On the east coast of Florida, there is a Brevard County public campground on the Indian River near Titusville, FL (near the Kennedy Space Center) called Manatee Hammock. I am sure you can drive to a beach access point within a short distance. Sites appear nicely shaded.

http://nbbd.com/godo/prec/ManateeCamp/

In the same general area, near Port Canaveral (where the cruise ships go in and out) is a campground called Jetty Park. I am trying this place out for the first time this coming March

https://www.portcanaveral.com/jpc

No shade at all but you can watch the ships enter and leave the Cruise Terminal and maybe see a rocket launch from KSC. I am hoping to also catch some spring training baseball games in the general area.

Over on the west side of the state around Tampa is a Pinellas County campground, Fort DeSoto which is HIGHLY rated and has a great beach as well. I have visited this campground for a day visit but did not stay overnight. They have different loops based on pets, popup/tent, or RV/Trailer. It is a popular campground and county residents can book a reservation a few weeks earlier than out of town guests but you might snag a couple nights.

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/camping.htm

Finally not a beach experience but it might be worthwhile. My DD who is 20 LOVES manatees so we are going to visit Blue Spring State Park in Orange City, FL (just north of Orlando up I4). It is on the St John river where the springs pump out water at a constant temp and the manatees winter there in large groups numbering over 200. There are tours (you pay) in boats. But the neat thing is the campground has a walking trail to the day use area where all the drive in tourists go and you can see the manatees before the gate opens (it sounds REALLY popular). In February you should still have plenty of manatees there.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/blue-spring-state-park

Note, again, there is a day use section of the state park and a campground portion of the state park. Florida state parks use www.reserveamerica.com for reservations like Ohio parks do (I see from your avatar that you are in Ohio). So it's not the beach experience you asked for but it is a very unique Florida experience and it is near WDW.

Hope you find something that appeals to you and can get a couple nights to pair with your Fort vacation.

Bama Ed

You're quite welcome, bobcat.

Along the lines of the manatee visit, there are a number of manatee opportunities around Homasassa Springs, FL which is due west of where the Florida Turnpike pulls off from I75 there at Wildwood below Ocala. If you google around there you can find private rv campgrounds, manatee tours, swim with the manatees, etc. I considered these places in the past but chose Blue Spring because we could couple it with sightseeing around Jacksonville-St. Augustine-Daytona Beach which we have never been to.

Anyway since Homasassa Springs is a little further away from the Central Florida tourist stuff, you might find more availability for either on your way to WDW or on the way home.

ED

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter