Two new Podcast members...still no diversity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus people are pushing to have people who aren't white to be equal in the world, but it's hard to do that when society makes them seem like they're a completely different species who can't succeed, when they are just people who can.

This thread is tremendously interesting. I understand the irony of what I'm about to say, but I wanted to encourage all of my white cohort on this board to pause for a moment. When a black person raises an issue of non-representation, it is our job to listen, acknowledge that the lack of representation can be hurtful and amplify their voice (if we are able to). It is not our job to try to prove them wrong. We cannot get caught up in our "white feelings". Listen to what is being said. It is not an attack on you. It is a statement of fact.

Does this podcast reflect the demographics of the country? No. Do they strive to? That is an interesting question, and we don't know. Where do they look for agents/podcast hosts? Is it via friends, is it via job advertisements? If via friend groups, is the friend group racially diverse? Do they make a point to advertise in places that talented/skilled/interested people of all races will see the opportunity?

Nobody is asking for a Disney novice to be given the reins of this podcast, rather, and I don't want to speak for OP, but I hear a statement that a more racially diverse cast would be beneficial and should be expected in 2020.

So again, let's not get defensive. Let's listen to people of colour. And with that, I'm going to check out some of the previously mentioned podcasts and be quiet.

Thank you OP.

We can agree to disagree. If the dis only hired middle aged gay men then there would be a diversity problem but they haven’t. As already stated, they have a diverse group of genders, ages, sexual orientation’s ect...

If the op wanted to make a post that said why are all the podcast members white then I wouldn’t have a said a word. I would have rolled my eyes and not even clicked on the thread. Contrary to what some people think diversity isn’t a skin color issue.

I hope the next person they hire is funny, snarky and has a vast knowledge about Disney like most of the currant members. If that person is black, that great. If they aren’t that’s fine too.
What ever happened to hiring the best person for the job? I know I wouldn’t want to be hired somewhere because of my age, gender or the color of my skin. I would want to get the job becase I was the most qualified.
Your response to "eye roll" tells me you aren't ready to see past your own defensive wall. Secondly, the mere notion that you believe anyone is saying someone should be hired because of their race means you are missing the point, whether that's because you're just being obtuse or again because you are defensive, I do not know. What I will say is that this is not about hiring because of race. It's about allowing people a seat at the table, people who are capable. They are out there. Again, it's really easy to say why does it matter when you're represented.

Your response to "eye roll" tells me you aren't ready to see past your own defensive wall. Secondly, the mere notion that you believe anyone is saying someone should be hired because of their race means you are missing the point, whether that's because you're just being obtuse or again because you are defensive, I do not know. What I will say is that this is not about hiring because of race. It's about allowing people a seat at the table, people who are capable. They are out there. Again, it's really easy to say why does it matter when you're represented.

My question for you is why does it bother you that I'm asking the question? Does it seem "silly" to you? or "not a big deal?"

This thread is tremendously interesting. I understand the irony of what I'm about to say, but I wanted to encourage all of my white cohort on this board to pause for a moment. When a black person raises an issue of non-representation, it is our job to listen, acknowledge that the lack of representation can be hurtful and amplify their voice (if we are able to). It is not our job to try to prove them wrong. We cannot get caught up in our "white feelings". Listen to what is being said. It is not an attack on you. It is a statement of fact.

Does this podcast reflect the demographics of the country? No. Do they strive to? That is an interesting question, and we don't know. Where do they look for agents/podcast hosts? Is it via friends, is it via job advertisements? If via friend groups, is the friend group racially diverse? Do they make a point to advertise in places that talented/skilled/interested people of all races will see the opportunity?

Nobody is asking for a Disney novice to be given the reins of this podcast, rather, and I don't want to speak for OP, but I hear a statement that a more racially diverse cast would be beneficial and should be expected in 2020.

So again, let's not get defensive. Let's listen to people of colour. And with that, I'm going to check out some of the previously mentioned podcasts and be quiet.

Thank you OP.
THIS and THANK YOU! Don't be quiet!

The Moms Panel never fails to have racial diversity, for the most part, every year. I don't think it's intentional at all but I definitely think its fixable, if they can bring Morgan in... why not others. I don't think we are that much of a minority within a minority as you say, I think its more about providing a platform/space where people will feel welcomed. Maybe I should start a thread for POC to come and talk about Disney. LOL

I‘ll rephrase. I guess what I meant is that we Disney Enthusiasts (and I’m talking to the pint of being regulars on these boards, watching the shows on YouTube on a regular basis and even being a Patreon supporter) are already a niche demographic, race notwithstanding. Throw any ethnic minority into the criteria, and you’ve cut that pool down significantly. And then in terms of being a part of the show, you have to find someone who (a) lives in Orlando, (b) is willing to turn their hobby into a career and (c) wants an on-camera job like this, and (d) is qualified to do it. This isn’t to say that there’s nobody out there who “checks all the boxes”. I’m sure there is actually, but maybe they’re not aware of The DIS and vice versa. Or maybe they don’t have the know-how to start their own channel and what not. Using myself as an example, as much fun as it seems to be a part of the show, it’s not something I’d be willing to give up my day job and move from Atlanta to Orlando for.

The bottom line is that I don’t necessarily view the fact that there isn’t a POC on the team (or at least one or two that might show up on occasion) as inherently problematic, because I don’t think there’s any racially-motivated intent at all. I think it’s just the way the circumstances have presented themselves.

But on the same token, I do agree that it would be highly refreshing to see some representation on a highly visible channel such as this one. It would alleviate that notion of feeling like you’re “always the only one in the room”, friendly, warm and welcoming as the folks in it might be. Like, it would be nice to see the talent on this show be more reflective of “the world” I see when I’m in the parks. That’s all.

Last edited:

Why is @Ton
THIS and THANK YOU! Don't be quiet!

So instead of complaining about diversity from someone else’s product why don’t you start your own and hire who you want and meet the checkboxes you feel you need to?

I’m a POC too and I never feel the need to force my opinions on how they should their business models and who they should hire.

Why is @Ton

So instead of complaining about diversity from someone else’s product why don’t you start your own and hire who you want and meet the checkboxes you feel you need to?

I’m a POC too and I never feel the need to force my opinions on how they should their business models and who they should hire.

I don't think it needs to go that far. I think she just wants to feel represented in a podcast/youtube channel that she enjoys watching. There's nothing wrong with that.

Yeah white people telling POC to relax about diversity isn’t a great look.

That’s not exactly what I meant. I just think that a topic like this isn’t going to make any productive headway, regardless of your perspective, on an Internet forum like this.

I viewed the original post as one expressing disappointment and frustration. I didn't personally see it as trying to force their opinion. They weren't asking people to boycott over this or asking that people send angry email. I just felt that they just wanted their opinion to be heard and considered. And that was amplified by the fact that their comment was deleted when it was first made.

I viewed the original post as one expressing disappointment and frustration. I didn't personally see it as trying to force their opinion. They weren't asking people to boycott over this or asking that people send angry email. I just felt that they just wanted their opinion to be heard and considered. And that was amplified by the fact that their comment was deleted when it was first made.

Absolutely. As a POC I’m making my voice heard as well.

People also keep saying that they don't look at color only the quality but isn't it really easy to say, "I on only consider "the Quality" " when you can see yourself in every space? How is that fair? It's like saying "I don't see color." It's problematic.
I would never not watch the show! Nor would i suggest others not. I'm simply asking if others are feeling or seeing the same thing I am? I will say that my post getting deleted was a bit irksome because .it felt like I was being told, "shut up! stop speaking on this topic."

Last edited:
The women, men, LGBT, young, old, and nationality on-the-show diversity that exists aside, I guess when you boil it down, the issue brought up here is the color of people (fair statement, right? that's what it means) on the show, and that some would rather have people with a skin of a different color on the show. Makes me so sad because it's not trusting the board we all love to hire the best people because of what? They're racist? Naw, I don't think so, and I firmly believe they hire the best people for the job, period. Isn't that how it should be?
Oh, STILL think Morgan is a great addition! This was just my 2 cents, but really hope you ALL are having a magical day!
!:goodvibes

My eye roll isn’t about race, it is about our society thinking that their (insert gender, race, ect here) deserve something that they didn’t get.
I was reading an article yesterday and people are up in arms because there weren’t any women nominated for the Oscars in a directors Category.
concidering only 10% of directors are women I don’t see a problem. I guarantee you that next year there will be at least one woman nominated whether she deserves it or not and IMO It isn’t right. I do apologize for not making my point clear, I can see how you or others could read it in a way I didn’t mean.

I don’t disagree that a voice from a different background would be a good thing but I think it’s unfair to say there is no diversity.

The women, men, LGBT, young, old, and nationality on-the-show diversity that exists aside, I guess when you boil it down, the issue brought up here is the color of people (fair statement, right? that's what it means) on the show, and that some would rather have people with a skin of a different color on the show. Makes me so sad because it's not trusting the board we all love to hire the best people because of what? They're racist? Naw, I don't think so, and I firmly believe they hire the best people for the job, period. Isn't that how it should be?
Oh, STILL think Morgan is a great addition! This was just my 2 cents, but really hope you ALL are having a magical day!
!:goodvibes

Hi Dizzytime, I'm having a magical day, thanks. I hope you are too.
A couple of items resonated with me that I thought might be helpful to share. First, the sense of definition, "the color of people (fair statement, right? that's what it means)". I think it's important to consider the history of the phrase POC as a label/designation. Other previous designations were "black," which is problematic because it leaves out Latinx and others, "African American," which is problematic because not all people with rich melanin would claim African heritage, and of course "colored person," which is inherently problematic because of the historical connotations. Person of Color then allows the space for many peoples, who are not caucasian, to self-identify as part of a historically marginalized and minority group. Your statement isn't quite fair, because the term is not just about the level of melanin in the skin, it's the history and institutional cultural complexities inherent with the level of melanin in the skin.

Second, having a visible difference that someone carries with them wherever they go, and being treated differently affords these same people a level of experience that is not universally shared. They have a set of valuable experiences that are uniquely theirs, and when we do not have representation in a conversation about our experiences, or our opinions, thoughts and ideas based on formational experiences, we are decidedly missing pieces in the tapestry of a wider, more complex, more beautifully rich world.

Representation means having a voice to speak to experience, plurality celebrates difference and makes room for those differences. I look forward to moving beyond diversity, the tolerance of difference, and towards plurality. Thanks for your thoughts, and thanks y'all for these incremental steps towards greater understanding together.

My eye roll isn’t about race, it is about our society thinking that their (insert gender, race, ect here) deserve something that they didn’t get.
I was reading an article yesterday and people are up in arms because there weren’t any women nominated for the Oscars in a directors Category.
concidering only 10% of directors are women I don’t see a problem. I guarantee you that next year there will be at least one woman nominated whether she deserves it or not and IMO It isn’t right. I do apologize for not making my point clear, I can see how you or others could read it in a way I didn’t mean.

I don’t disagree that a voice from a different background would be a good thing but I think it’s unfair to say there is no diversity.
Looking at the history, it's unlikely a woman will be nominated for best director next year. This year is the 92nd Oscar ceremony. Every year there are usually five nominees for best director, so that's 92x5 which equals 460 nominations. FIVE of those were women. One won. Yeah, people can be upset about that.

/ sorry for the off topic

Looking at the history, it's unlikely a woman will be nominated for best director next year. This year is the 92nd Oscar ceremony. Every year there are usually five nominees for best director, so that's 92x5 which equals 460 nominations. FIVE of those were women. One won. Yeah, people can be upset about that.

/ sorry for the off topic

so what???? We give awards based on merit not checking a box off. Most time people don’t even care about who directed the film rather it’s content.

In a perfect world with perfect places, everyone would be so happy because they could tell each other how and why they should do things and it would happen. Choose any person you want to work for someone else, and that's what they should do.
Funny, way back I used to listen occasionally to the audio show...way before the video show.. and fell in love with it! THEN! Ha! slowly found the 'gay thing' popping in here and there, then fact it was 'gay owned'!! OH MY! and wondered if it was really for me? Alas, thankfully, I was in love with the show and all the staff, and knew then I was an idiot for even thinking about it.
Maybe a lesson, sure was for me. You guys going back to audio may be the answer? Or maybe we should close our eyes when watching? How Ridiculous! How 'bought maybe a big thanks to Pete and John for finding the best crew they can and doing great at what they do. I think it's amazing how good they do it, and I know for sure it ain't easy.
Hope you are
People also keep saying that they don't look at color only the quality but isn't it really easy to say on only consider "the Quality" when you can see yourself in every space? How is that fair? It's like saying "I don't see color." It's problematic.
I would never not watch the show! Nor would i suggest others not. I'm simply asking if others are feeling or seeing the same thing I am? I will say that my post getting deleted was a bit irksome because .it felt like I was being told, "shut up! stop speaking on this topic."
I didn't want to jump into this boiling hot kettle of fish but here I go... I get your point, and I agree with you. I love the Dis, the podcast, and the Disboards. I also see how it could be like adding a little touch of umami to an already good meal if they added a person to the table who came from an African American experience and perspective.
And with that, I will tiptoe slowly backwards out of this thread...

Last edited:
Hi Dizzytime, I'm having a magical day, thanks. I hope you are too.
A couple of items resonated with me that I thought might be helpful to share. First, the sense of definition, "the color of people (fair statement, right? that's what it means)". I think it's important to consider the history of the phrase POC as a label/designation. Other previous designations were "black," which is problematic because it leaves out Latinx and others, "African American," which is problematic because not all people with rich melanin would claim African heritage, and of course "colored person," which is inherently problematic because of the historical connotations. Person of Color then allows the space for many peoples, who are not caucasian, to self-identify as part of a historically marginalized and minority group. Your statement isn't quite fair, because the term is not just about the level of melanin in the skin, it's the history and institutional cultural complexities inherent with the level of melanin in the skin.

Second, having a visible difference that someone carries with them wherever they go, and being treated differently affords these same people a level of experience that is not universally shared. They have a set of valuable experiences that are uniquely theirs, and when we do not have representation in a conversation about our experiences, or our opinions, thoughts and ideas based on formational experiences, we are decidedly missing pieces in the tapestry of a wider, more complex, more beautifully rich world.

Representation means having a voice to speak to experience, plurality celebrates difference and makes room for those differences. I look forward to moving beyond diversity, the tolerance of difference, and towards plurality. Thanks for your thoughts, and thanks y'all for these incremental steps towards greater understanding together.

Lot of great suff, thanks. You don't know me, I don't know you, so maybe the assumption (should be) is we both know all that already...including the owners of this board. That was my only point, really, just not to fall back to the old days with stereotypes when hiring people. but rather people based on how they are qualified.Thanks again

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter