TheInvernessie

Mouseketeer
Hello DisBoards! My name is Tori, and this is my FIRST EVER Pre Trip Report. I've never been responsible for any planning on any of my previous family trips to the World until now!

A few months ago (September to be exact) I got this literally insane idea to go back to Disney on my own dime. Now...putting this into perspective. My final semester of my most recent degree had literally just started, and I'd gotten back from the World a few weeks before. My sunburn hadn't even faded when I just said to myself: "I can do this...!"

Just...not by myself. No way should I have a dream trip alone. No. In class, I turned to my best friend Laura and literally just told her, "Hey. We could afford going to Disney this year-"

Just like that, she and I were on our way to planning a trip. Neither of us had thought about it before, nor had we ever actually booked a trip on our own. I know, I know it sounds crazy, but...hey, we're still students!

A month flew by, and we still weren't sure if/when we could do this trip. However, after spending hours and days looking at flights on several different dates, May 2017 spoke to us. From there we booked our flights, and the rest is history!

On this PTR I'm planning on detailing every bit of planning that I've done, and will be doing in the last 100 days of waiting to get back to the world!

Any comments and suggestions are welcome!

xOxO Tori princess:

Step One:

Who's going?

The who's who of this PTR is pretty simple. There's just myself and Laura.
We are two Journalism students at a New Jersey university.
She's 21, I'm 24.

Laura is SUPER into all things cutesy from Disney. She's been to the world a few times, but wants to make this trip absolutely special. Her favorite character is Marie :cat: from the Aristocats, and favorite park is Magic Kingdom. Without a doubt in my mind, she is probably the best person for me to travel to Disney with. Nobody else I know personally is as into it as I am! (not even my own family)

Now for me...I'm Tori, and for me, Disney World is my home away from home. I feel at ease, and just right when I'm there. To be honest, it feels like a meditation. Like Laura, I want to make this trip something for me and her to enjoy. Of course, my favorite Disney character is Cinderella princess: and my favorite park is Epcot.

This group is the smallest either of us has ever gone to the World with, which honestly is exciting!
Just being two friends has opened up a lot of options we hadn't thought about before planning, and its been exciting.

UP NEXT
...The where, when and how!

Where, When And How?

This was a tough part of the planning. Around the end of October, I started to see some really great deals on flights around the middle of May. May 16-21 to be exact. Late afternoon flight out of New Jersey, smooth sailing! Flights: CHECK!

The when of our trip? We flipped on the dates a lot! It was either going to be Spring Break in March 2017 or a celebration of our final semester in May. March was at least double the price in both flights and rooms for just two people, and it would be a lot harder financially. So, ultimately we let finances and school determine when to go. Neither of us have ever been to Disney in May, so we're pretty excited. Neither of us have seen Flower and Garden Festival either!

Another up in the air decision made was, where to stay?
Now...the both of us had stayed collectively at all the Value resorts aside from Art of Animation. We thought about Art of Animation but....
....I got a coupon!
And boy, did that coupon save us a bunch...! For a pretty decent price, we were able to snag a room at...wait for it...Disney's Coronado Springs Resort!!!

Oh my goodness! I LOVE Coronado!!!!!!! :yay: We are staying at Pop for our trip in August, but I'm DYING to get a pin code or discount to stay at Coronado! This trip sounds like a lot of fun!!

Oh my goodness! I LOVE Coronado!!!!!!! :yay: We are staying at Pop for our trip in August, but I'm DYING to get a pin code or discount to stay at Coronado! This trip sounds like a lot of fun!!

Ah! Thank you for reading! I'm super excited for Coronado too, considering I've only stayed at one moderate before (and I hardly remember! :sad2:) I got the pin code by making a mock cart, believe it or not. Maybe something triggered it in their system, I don't know.
I my last trip was at POP in August as well! Its beautiful but steaming hot!

Alright...so a new week starts, I'm down to 98 DAYS (finally under 100!) and I'm ready to write some of our plans!

We've got the hotel. The flights are set. But what about....
FOOD

For me, aside from the whole ambiance and atmosphere of Disney Parks, my favorite part is food.
Of course, Laura's is too, because who doesn't like food? However, this time we decided to pick a dining plan. Now, I've had a dining plan just about every time I've travelled to Disney. For my family, its been easier and a lot less stressful. However, Laura hasn't had a trip with the dining plan, so it was a learning adventure for both of us.

First things first:
Which one did we pick? After deliberating with our budget and logistics, we finally agreed on the Quick Service Dining Plan

Now, I've had a few different plans. I know the first time I ever remember having the dining plan, we had the deluxe. However, the last three times I've been to the World, the quick service plan has been perfect. Allows for ease of movement through the day not too many reservations...nothing crazy.

So that was settled!

Now, we've actually planned out every single day of the trip in full detail. (Which I don't know if you're all interested in what I'll actually be eating.) Every day has its meals perfectly planned, not a credit wasted. It felt like a good feat on both of our parts!

Without further ado...

Tuesday, May 16

This is travel day. We're not getting to our resort until perhaps 6pm, so we really had to think. Do we want to jump right in and go to a park, stay at the hotel and eat OR get to see Disney Springs (where one of my High School friends works now!)

Disney Springs won in the choices...so we had to think. Where to go...
Well obviously shopping is a must! So we wanted to do that first. Eventually we agreed...Bongo's Cuban Cafe Express!

Using snack credits for some things around the resort or Disney springs is probable, but the first Dinner spot is planned!

Wednesday, May 17

Our first full day on Disney property, and we're running fast. We're rope dropping Hollywood Studios after breakfast at Pepper Market, and going to Afternoon Tea at the Grand Floridian. After tea, we're headed to Epcot for a nice dinner at Katsura Grill and back over to Hollywood Studios for the Star Wars Spectacular.

Thursday, May 18

Another early morning, plans to rope drop at Magic Kingdom. Our first meal is lunch at Be our Guest! Neither of us have been there before, and honestly I just want to eat in the Beast's castle! We didn't think park hopping would be too fun after a whole day of it prior, so we're in for the long haul at Magic Kingdom. Dinner is going to be at Casey's Corner, a favorite of both of ours.

Friday, May 19

Finally some park time at Epcot! We're starting this morning up really special with breakfast at Sunshine Seasons. Something nice and relaxing about how that sounds. For lunch, we're headed over to World Showcase and the France pavilion. I've always wanted to eat at Les Halles Boulangerie et Patisserie, so that's where we've picked! Finally, for an Epcot dinner, La Cantina de San Angel.

Saturday, May 20

We're taking advantage of Extra Magic Hours at Animal Kingdom in the morning, spending some time here. Both of our last trips we didn't even get to Animal Kingdom, which is sad since I love the energy of that park. We'll have one meal there, a new restaurant for us, Yak & Yeti Local Food Cafes. Everything looks delicious! After Animal Kingdom we're heading over to Hollywood Studios for Fantasmic later in the evening. The plan is to eat at PizzeRizzo!

Sunday, May 21

Our last full day at Disney, but we're getting to see a lot of it! We're beginning our morning at Pepper Market again, hoping we'll have something different than earlier in the week! We're going to Magic Kingdom, and having a nice relaxed morning there before saying goodbye to Cinderella Castle and heading over to the Contempo Cafe at the Contemporary resort for lunch. Staying on the monorail line, we're headed to Epcot for Illuminations and dinner at Tutto Italia, putting a lovely end to another Disney vacation.

Monday, May 22

Home!

I hope that wasn't /too/ wordy! Let me know what you all think, and what I could add next! Perhaps fast passes?

Yay double digits! :cheer2:

Disney food is the best! Did you try calculating without the plan? With 2 people we haven't ever found the dining plan to come out as a better value (though we do mostly TS meals). I tried to make the standard dining plan work for or upcoming trip, but I could never get the meals to equal the price without still having quite a bit of oop cost. Though with the QS plan being cheaper and you sticking to mostly QS it sounds like it could be worth it.

Pepper Market has some good QS for dinner too!

On the second day that's a lot of moving around. Have you looked at the express buses that go between the parks? It's $15 a day, $24 a week and runs on a 20-30 minute schedule. They bring you into the park through a quicker entrance too.

Les Halles has so many choices! (Just avoid the croissant sale, it wasn't very good). The nachos at La Catina were good too. Also are you planning to try any snacks at Flower and Garden?

I've heard Contempo Cafe has delicious cupcakes!

Yay double digits! :cheer2:

Disney food is the best! Did you try calculating without the plan? With 2 people we haven't ever found the dining plan to come out as a better value (though we do mostly TS meals). I tried to make the standard dining plan work for or upcoming trip, but I could never get the meals to equal the price without still having quite a bit of oop cost. Though with the QS plan being cheaper and you sticking to mostly QS it sounds like it could be worth it.

Pepper Market has some good QS for dinner too!

On the second day that's a lot of moving around. Have you looked at the express buses that go between the parks? It's $15 a day, $24 a week and runs on a 20-30 minute schedule. They bring you into the park through a quicker entrance too.

Les Halles has so many choices! (Just avoid the croissant sale, it wasn't very good). The nachos at La Catina were good too. Also are you planning to try any snacks at Flower and Garden?

I've heard Contempo Cafe has delicious cupcakes!

Super excited for double digits finally! :cool1:

I have calculated it without the plan, and its about breakeven for us. I think the ease of just having the credit right there on the Magic Band is easier than having to think about cost. Having done the QS plan a few times, I find it to be just a hair easier.

I am SUPER excited about Pepper Market! Their dinner does look really nice, but we're rarely going to be going back to the hotel!

Oh man that second day. We just sat down and planned the logistics of it out, and it sounds bad, but the breather time between parks and resorts sounds nice in a way. She's never taken the International Gateway boat to/from Epcot and HS, so I think we're really going back to HS for the boat and my guilty indulgence in anything Star Wars! :darth:

I swear I saw the cupcakes at Contempo and texted her a couple of pictures, and she was SOLD.

EDIT: We are DEFINITELY looking forward to snacks and drinks at Flower & Garden. Snacks we've majorly left unplanned (except for HER FIRST DOLE WHIP and morning coffees), for that reason alone. I like snacks to be spontaneous, but she's a big snacker so we'll see!

Your plan looks great! I like knowing where at least one of my meals will be every day and leave the rest up in the air. I'm also going during Flower & Garden which I've never been to so looking forward to trying lots of the food and drink carts! Looking forward to seeing what else you have planned! :cool1:

Your plan looks great! I like knowing where at least one of my meals will be every day and leave the rest up in the air. I'm also going during Flower & Garden which I've never been to so looking forward to trying lots of the food and drink carts! Looking forward to seeing what else you have planned! :cool1:

Thank you! I'm glad to know I'm not alone in planning meals and restaurants I'd like to try. This trip has about 90% restaurants I've never tried before!

UPDATE! We're on day 90 (Seriously how did that happen!?) We're a month away from making semi-solid plans for our Fast Passes. Currently we're trying to get clothes and park bag/materials settled. We're big on couponing so starting early always helps.

However...
Our Airline decided to outright cancel our flight going down, and move it an hour later....which, doesn't bother us terribly, but doesn't settle well with me. An hour later leaving means an hour less active time. Now, we're not going to the parks on travel day, but obviously we'd rather be there earlier than later. This definitely set in stone that we're not going to be using the Magical Express luggage service....

More to come soon!

Just curious, how late is your flight coming in, did you have to switch airlines? Why not Magical Express?

I don't know if it's changed, we stayed at Coronado our first trip in 2014 (loved Pepper Market!!! There burgers and breakfast items were great!!!), and Coronado was the first stop on ME. We just had them hold our luggage and hopped a bus to Magic Kingdom once we checked-in. Didn't see our room until that night. That kind of set the tone for the rest of our trips. Last time, we checked-in online and went to the park, the resort text our room number while we were in-line for Big Thunder, love the time saving of having them collect the big luggage (but we are also traveling with a kid, so anything less to carry is awesome!)

We are headed the WDW 5/5 - 5/11, we'll just miss you ;)

Just curious, how late is your flight coming in, did you have to switch airlines? Why not Magical Express?

I don't know if it's changed, we stayed at Coronado our first trip in 2014 (loved Pepper Market!!! There burgers and breakfast items were great!!!), and Coronado was the first stop on ME. We just had them hold our luggage and hopped a bus to Magic Kingdom once we checked-in. Didn't see our room until that night. That kind of set the tone for the rest of our trips. Last time, we checked-in online and went to the park, the resort text our room number while we were in-line for Big Thunder, love the time saving of having them collect the big luggage (but we are also traveling with a kid, so anything less to carry is awesome!)

We are headed the WDW 5/5 - 5/11, we'll just miss you ;)

Well to answer your question, They've changed the flight YET AGAIN. Originally we had a 2pm flight out, then the airline changed it to 3pm...now several days later its 2:50pm and the flight is waitlisted (but we still have our seat assignments)...Crazy!

We're taking the Magical Express busses, but not utilizing the luggage service. We're not going to the parks the first night, so it would just be easier to have our things with us.
I'm super excited for Coronado, honestly. I've only ever been to one Moderate resort, so this is special for me. I prefer to not do online check in, just to make sure that any room requests have been fulfilled.

Hmmm, sounds like United. If so, any flight change over 5 minutes you need to approve (either call or there should have been a link in the email) and once you okay the change the waitlist will disappear.

I know I am biased (and old) but I like Coronado better than some of the Deluxe resorts. They have the convention center and I feel their staff is better than other resorts because of this. And I know I mentioned before, but their quick service dining, IMO, is better than the QS at any of the other resorts we've stayed at. Lots of options!

Can't wait to hear more, I'm going to live vicariously through your adult Disney vacation!

Hmmm, sounds like United. If so, any flight change over 5 minutes you need to approve (either call or there should have been a link in the email) and once you okay the change the waitlist will disappear.

I know I am biased (and old) but I like Coronado better than some of the Deluxe resorts. They have the convention center and I feel their staff is better than other resorts because of this. And I know I mentioned before, but their quick service dining, IMO, is better than the QS at any of the other resorts we've stayed at. Lots of options!

Can't wait to hear more, I'm going to live vicariously through your adult Disney vacation!

Ahaha! You got it with United! (The price was unbeatable when we bought it...) We have approved it and its alright...I just know I'll have to notify Disney a day or two before since we didn't book through them. (Or Sooner? Not sure!)

I'm so glad you're in for the ride!

Hi, I'm following along- I love a good girls trip!! DH and I are are also going in May, we'll be missing you tho as we arrive 5/25.
Her favorite character is Marie :cat: from the Aristocats,

Girl after my own heart... Marie is my absolutely favorite too! I wish we she still had a meet and greet in France at Epcot

Neither of us have ever been to Disney in May
My family used to go the first week in May every year - I definitely think May is a great time, especially for those of us 'up north'. The weather is starting to get nice at home but its not usually summer weather, so its a nice way to kick off the summer.

For a pretty decent price, we were able to snag a room at...wait for it...Disney's Coronado Springs Resort!!

CSR is my favorite moderate! I'm pretty sure you will both love it. I know a lot of people think its too spread out but the only time I felt that the walk to El Center was too long was when I stayed in the Ranchos section. But honestly, you're at Disney, walking is a must! Plus you can always take any bus except the DS bus from the bus stop closest to your room and it will stop at Bus Stop 1 which is at El Centro. I just stayed at CSR last month and had a GREAT room in Casitas 4! We usually request Casitas 4 or 5. LOVE their quiet pool.

We're taking the Magical Express busses, but not utilizing the luggage service

Same girl, same. We always take our own luggage!

Hi, I'm following along- I love a good girls trip!! DH and I are are also going in May, we'll be missing you tho as we arrive 5/25.

I know a lot of people think its too spread out but the only time I felt that the walk to El Center was too long was when I stayed in the Ranchos section.

First of all, thank you for following along! Considering this is my first trip that I'm planning myself, its going pretty well!

I'm hoping we're close to El Centro, since I requested a room close to it and Pepper Market where we're planning to eat a few mornings....I'm loving all this love for Coronado, its making me feel better about my choice. It was ambitious for a first trip going somewhere I wasn't too sure about, but I'm super glad to hear about all the positives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter