TV/VCR Combos in the car.

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
OKOK~ MORE QUESTIONS about TV/VCR combos for the car. What's the diff between AC/DC and it not saying AC/DC? Either way, I'll need to buy a car lighter converter, yes? Thanks! S

The plug in the house is Alternating Current AC. A lighter in a car or a toy train power ect.. is Direct Current DC. The main difference is that you can touch DC without getting knocked on your ****. If you buy a car tv/vcr (ours was from sony $400) it will come with a converter. You can also buy home style tv/vcr (at best buy $200) but to run that in a car you will need to buy a DC/AC convertor. If I were you I would go to best buy or circuit city and tell the salesman what you want to do....they have many different styles, ours is a console that sits between the seats in our van and has a cup holder ,ports for video games etc... they also have the kind that hang between the seats and you can go all out and have it mounted in the cieling and folds down when in use. Either way the things are a life saver for any ride over 3 hours........TAZ:cool: :D

THANK YOU THANK YOU! I am soooo worried that it will suck the live out of my battery. Both our cars are older, 1991 Tempo (has air conditioning) and 1993 Sauble (air conditioning broke last summer and stubborn dh won't fix it ~ his car anyway). Our drive is 10-11 hours YIKES! S

Once the car is running these divices run off the alternator NOT the battery.....TAZ:bounce:

I bought a TV/DVD 9 inches combo at Costco for $329.99 and its come with the AC/DC adapter. In other words its come with the adapter to plug in to the cigarette lighter.

what about the little tvs in the bag between the seat? What is the best deal anyone has seen on those? I saw a 4inch screen at Sam's for $199, but I was reluctant to buy it b/c (it was plugged in) and the actually picture on the screen and my Sam's card was the same size. I want at least a 5inch.

I thought Sam's had the best deals. I got an 11" screen one for our van for $200. The biggest problem we had was finding a place to put it so the kids would have a good view of it. I love it though because when it's not in the car, I use it in my kitchen. It was a great purchase.

Just be careful if you get a TV/VCR combo that is not made especially for the car that you find a way to secure it so it doesn't become a flying missile if there is a wreck.

Originally posted by Leney343
Just be careful if you get a TV/VCR combo that is not made especially for the car that you find a way to secure it so it doesn't become a flying missile if there is a wreck.

I, myself, would be VERY careful if I were to consider one of these units.....a woman in the town next to ours recently DIED in a car accident while on vacation (in Canada!) , because the TV unit came loose and hit her in the head! The accident, otherwise, was really not a life-threatening one. :(

Ok, that scared the heck out of me. I just got in from buying a 13" tv/vcr combo for the car. It fits fine in the car and dh will rig bolts or a harness to secure it. I was amazing how little room it takes up. We're driving a Sauble (like a Taurus). I think cars should be made of rubber ~ on the outside! S

Sorry to have scared you, but I would urge anyone who has a tv in their car to take extra precautions to make absolutely certain it is secure! As they say, an ounce of prevention......

I totally agree with you! Anything, not just a tv, can be dangerous in a car if there is an accident. We are pretty bad for keeping small toys in the car. I fitted our new tv in the car and I was pleased with the tight fit, yet still lots of room for the kids. There are plenty of edges and ledges on our console where the tv can be rigged up for security. dh is pretty good with tools and I think this is going to work well. S

We also use a TV/VCR combo and have used it wedged inbetween the front and back seats in a mid-size 4 door as well as propped on the arm rests of the middle seats in a minivan (and that latter option made me really nervous.) I recently saw a post on these boards about a mail order auto supply store that sells TV Totes: It's a kind of carry bag which can accomodate any standard 9" TV/VCR, and it contains about 6 straps which are used to secure it to the seats. I ordered one right away....cost was around $55, but I thought the safety factor was well worth it. I've now recently seen the same thing advertised at Target for $35.....I'd highly recommend it!

I should check out Target. We don't have Target stores in Canada. I took the TV for a test drive and it was wonderful! I still want it more secure. As it is now, it's secure, but if the car roles, it would not be secure, so dh is looking at that now. Chat soon! S:p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter