Tusker House Dinner Review - from last night 1/5/2019

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
DH and I decided to head to AK yesterday... I had scored some really good FP's and we had some that were loaded on to our magic band from New Years Day... due to some issue at Nav'i River... I even managed to get River of Light FP's which had proved elusive in the past... Normally we would eat at Rainforest... but we had just eaten there on New Years day... So we decided to try for Tusker House, and dinning with the character... I got lucky and got a 6:15 for 2 ... So Yay for us...

We arrived on time, maybe a minute or two late... checked-in and by the time we walked around to the entrance I received a text on my phone that our table was ready... We were seated in the very back in a small room with about 6 other table, and it was quite nice/really quite considering that this was a character buffet... We were sat at a table for 2 - the only issue that we had was there were shutters that our table was framed around, and they stuck out from the wall quite a bit, so we just adjusted the table a bit away from the wall... and we were fine...

Our server arrived quickly, ordered drinks, and she gave us the info on how the characters would move through our area...which we thought was great knowing how they would enter the room and leave...She kept the drinks full and took away the plates quickly... great job from start to finish...

On the carving station - Pork Shoulder and Peri Peri Salmon ( whole fish with head on) We both tried the Pork shoulders and it was quite good, the seasoning was really interesting, my piece was a bit fatty but still tasty, DH even had second piece... As for the Peri Peri I really wanted to try it, but it was quite boney ( lots and lots of bones) and to me it looked a bit wet, not like moist more toward not done all the way... I am sure it more than likely was... I am picky about fish and seafood...

The rotisserie chicken was really good, very flavorful and moist.. we both tried it and both had a second piece.. there was coconut and curry shrimp that looked really good but I am allergic to coconut so no go for us...

I was surprised at the veggies offering there were several, all of these were in the hot food section... collard green, green beans and corn, tandoori vegetables and roasted root veggie... I tried the collard greens they interesting, very different from the southern style collard green that I am use to... I was really not sure about them, they did grow on me and I did enjoy them... the tandoori vegetables were very good, they did have a bit of spiciness(heat) to them, I enjoyed them as well... DH stuck with the green beans and did say they were good.

There were plenty of starches, Homemade mashed potatoes we both had two serving of these... really comfort food, rice with pigeon peas, I really like the dish, DH not so much, Mealy pap, which DH tried and was pleased but not enough to get a second helping... mac and cheese, which DH also tried and said the cheese sauce was a bit runny... Basmati Rice, which was rice...

Salad section - make your own salad was really very uninteresting - some salad greens, kalamata olives, diced tomatoes, and a maybe one or two other items, and 3 dressing, they did have quite a bit of bread, naan, rolls, jalapeno cornbread, which looked really good, I tasted a bite of DH and WOW the jalapenos were very front and forward...it should have been called jalapeno fire bread... we have had it before at other restaurants and it was never so hot... The cold salad were in my opinion okay... Black eyed pea salad, and 2 other that I did not try

Dessert station... several tarts, cookies, bread pudding...we both tried the chocolate with chocolate mousse, DH did not like his at all, I did like the mousse, more a dark chocolate that a milk chocolate.. DH did like the Chocolate chip cookies alot... they were still hot and very good... I tried the strawberry short cake tart... I was really happy with this choice, the cake was moist and tasted like strawberries, and had a bit of a cream cheese swirl on the top... really tasty...

The character were wonderful and so cute in the safari outfits...

For 2 of us it was over 100.00 dollars... we enjoyed it and will visit again...

Thanks for the review! DH and I will be eating there on our first night of our adults-only trip in July. Looking forward to it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter