Turnips and swedes....

This.

I rarely notice them in the grocery store here - except maybe in a bag of Terra Chips??? (which I do like)

They are in the stores here year round. Turnips, Turnip greens and Rutabagas are anyway. Turnips and their greens take over the produce section through the holidays and especially between Christmas and New Years. They are the green of choice for New Years Day meals. And the turnip itself is just cooked in with the greens. I don't like turnips so I use cabbage for my greens.

They are in the stores here year round...

They might be here too if I looked hard enough!

I didn't grow up eating them (I suspect because my parents did, and didn't like them) so I may have walked right by them without noticing.

I'll have to make a note on my shopping list to check.

Not whetting my taste buds I must say.😂

For those who don't know, it's a Simpsons joke. The kids in Springfield and Shelbyville were fighting over the lemon tree for their lemonade stands. Shelbyville steals the tree, but Springfield steals it back - cut to the old man in Shelbyville spinning the story as to why it's a good thing and they have a turnip field they can get juice from. The kids don't like it either. The episode is "Lemon of Troy" from Season 6. It's one of the best ones!

New England girl here. We grew up eating parsnips and rutabagas. My mom always called rutabaga "turnip" so I was very surprised when I was in college to learn that turnip is actually white/purple and the nippy, orange root veg I love is really rutabaga! Parsnips are one of my favorite veggies. Although I hate the thought of winter being almost upon us, I am enthused about roasting up a big pan of parsnips, rutabaga, winter squash, carrots, garlic, and onions (drizzled with olive oil and balsamic glaze, with a little salt). YUM!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter