Tslimx2 insulin pump and rides?

kgreen

Mouseketeer
My son, 14 has type 1 diabetes and uses the tslimx2 insulin pump. Have others went to Disney with tslimx2 pump that can offer some advice? Our trainer told us to disconnect on roller coasters. I'm not sure if that also means the pump itself can not go on the ride? If just disconnecting was all we needed to do, it wouldn't be an issue. But since we ride everything together, if the pump couldn't go on the ride.. that would be difficult. I plan on calling Tandom to clarify. We may just go back to pens for the trip. Any advice or words of wisdom? Thanks

this comes up every few month you will be fine to go on any ride at Disney ( I know a number of CM with pump even tandum pumps) I find being on a pump easer since you can adjust basel easer.

My son, 14 has type 1 diabetes and uses the tslimx2 insulin pump. Have others went to Disney with tslimx2 pump that can offer some advice? Our trainer told us to disconnect on roller coasters. I'm not sure if that also means the pump itself can not go on the ride? If just disconnecting was all we needed to do, it wouldn't be an issue. But since we ride everything together, if the pump couldn't go on the ride.. that would be difficult. I plan on calling Tandom to clarify. We may just go back to pens for the trip. Any advice or words of wisdom? Thanks
I would go with what Tandom tells you more than what others have done. if you go back to the pens for the trip what about water rides where you get soaked could this cause problems? I asked cause my adult daughter did not want to take her pens on water rides. do not know if it was her or if she was told not to get them wet

My DS does not have a wired pump (omnipods) but my guess is they only want you to disconnect to avoid a low on the roller coaster. Please take care to keep it dry but otherwise just check BS frequently and know that he will most likely need much less insulin d/t the heat and extra activity. Pens are a pain and harder to regulate after you have been on the pump for a while. He will be fine. I stressed his first visit after diagnosis for nothing. Have a great time!!!

I don't have a tslim, but do have an Animas pump. I've been to Disney 4 times with my pump and have never disconnected on any of the coasters. I do have to lower my basal rate 30-40% due to the increased activity, so keep an eye on his blood sugars and be aware you may have to adjust those as you go.

I am on a MiniMed pump, have been for over 10 years.
My pump NP told me to "suspend" while on roller coasters as well as when taking off/landing in air planes. She said the up and down pressure can sometimes cause a "drip of insulin" into you. If that makes sense.
I didn't believe her the first couple trips. Then I had a low mid air and realized I didn't suspend for take off.

I also check my blood sugar levels more frequently.

Just a thought, but like others have said go with what they company recommends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter