TSA PreCheck

Thank you for pointing out global entry is entirely different. The interview is offered at FAR fewer airports than pre-check. Appointments are usually backed up 2 months or more. I had them cancel my appointment for me a week before after a 2 month wait & I had to reschedule another 2 months out. I didn't want any readers of this thread thinking global entry would happen for them in a few days to weeks as the PP is reporting.

It all depends on where you live tbh. In larger areas with multiple appointment locations GE might well be that quick. In NYC I was prepared to wait it out for months like everyone says, and the Customs House location in Manhattan was the typical backed up for months situation but I literally had my pick of same day appointments at JFK when I got the conditional approval email a week after I applied, and walked out of the office an hour later with my KTN.

Anyone who frequently flies to Las Vegas....is it worth having PreCheck

Yes, TSA pre-check is beneficial if you fly at least 1-2 times per year to/from any large US airport. You just never know how long the security lines will be and pre-check has been a big time saver whenever I fly. Lines are shorter, people seem more familiar with what to do, you don't have to remove your shoes, etc. If you only travel within the US, I don't see the need for the other programs being mentioned.

Anyone who frequently flies to Las Vegas....is it worth having PreCheck?
PreCheck is worth it even if you fly once a year, doesn't matter where you fly to.
About the only time it may be worth closer analysis is if you only fly in and out of an airport that doesn't have it
If we only flew out of our local airport and back home from a similar airport it wouldn't help us at all. Our local airport recognizes PreCheck but doesn't have a separate line. We all go through the same process, have to remove liquids, laptop, etc. The only thing we can do is keep shoes on

Yes, TSA pre-check is beneficial if you fly at least 1-2 times per year to/from any large US airport. You just never know how long the security lines will be and pre-check has been a big time saver whenever I fly. Lines are shorter, people seem more familiar with what to do, you don't have to remove your shoes, etc. If you only travel within the US, I don't see the need for the other programs being mentioned.
Yeah, Global Entry total waste of time for me (even though I have a card that pays for it). I never fly out of the US, or leave the US period. So it would be of no use to me.

PreCheck is worth it even if you fly once a year, doesn't matter where you fly to.
About the only time it may be worth closer analysis is if you only fly in and out of an airport that doesn't have it
If we only flew out of our local airport and back home from a similar airport it wouldn't help us at all. Our local airport recognizes PreCheck but doesn't have a separate line. We all go through the same process, have to remove liquids, laptop, etc. The only thing we can do is keep shoes on

Our local airport seems to only occasionally have a separate PreCheck line. But for us it is all about MCO. We fly out of MCO 3 times a year and I'll gladly pay a few dollars to avoid the lines.

We just got it and just flew in and out of MCO this weekend. We have 2 kids, ages 4 & 3.

When we left home, security was very backed up, and we were running late due to a number of different things that didn’t go our way that morning. We would have missed our flight without it.
Yesterday on the way home, the MCO security lines were LONG. We breezed right on through, no waiting.

My husband and I both agree that it was totally worth it. Kicking ourselves for not having done this earlier for the dozens of flights we’ve taken with the kids since they were babies.

Thank you for pointing out global entry is entirely different. The interview is offered at FAR fewer airports than pre-check. Appointments are usually backed up 2 months or more. I had them cancel my appointment for me a week before after a 2 month wait & I had to reschedule another 2 months out. I didn't want any readers of this thread thinking global entry would happen for them in a few days to weeks as the PP is reporting.
I read about a lot of people being able to do walk in interviews for global entry. Unfortunately I read about that AFTER I went to my scheduled interview lol
There was only one other person there when I went to do my interview.

I went with global entry since my credit card will reimburse me for it.

Our local airport recognizes PreCheck but doesn't have a separate line. We all go through the same process, have to remove liquids, laptop, etc. The only thing we can do is keep shoes on
Sounds as though that policy varies by the site. We fly out of a small regional airport a few times a year that only offers a few flights a day & has one security line. Last time early in September. Procedure has been the same since our first trip thru there. With precheck the first TSA rep who checks ID hands you a laminated card that you then present to the next TSA agent who is manning the screening belt. No need to take off shoes or remove bags & laptops.

Ugh, I did my renewal and it got approved within an hour. However, I also renewed my husbands and we are going on week 3 with nothing. I’m starting to think I did a typo. It says it takes 2-3 weeks for renewal, so plan to call after 3 weeks. Nothing changed over 5 years, so a typo could be the only reason. So anyone renewing, double check your info.

Flying out of our local restaurant, their is no benefit to having TSA Pre-check. However, flying from Orlando or Ohare, TSA Pre-Check was wonderful to have.

I love having pre-check. It makes life so much easier not having to worry about how long the security line might be or packing in a way to make things easy to get to. I've been to a lot of different airports and never waited more than a few minutes.

I live in a border city. I have Nexus which includes pre-check, but it's cheaper and needs to be renewed less often. If you live on the US/Canada border definitely look into Nexus even if you only want it for pre-check.

Does anyone know how you can add TSA to flights that are already booked? Do you have to contact the airline to have them add it?

Does anyone know how you can add TSA to flights that are already booked? Do you have to contact the airline to have them add it?
You should be able to login to the airline and update your profile with the TSA info. The tickets should then reflect precheck.

With both Delta and Southwest you have to change it directly with each reservation. Changing your profile will put it on all new reservations but not existing ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter