TSA PreCheck

Question for those with Precheck. We bought it a year ago and I thought at the time it was good for 3 years now it says 5 years. Is ours good for 5 years now or only for those first timers or renewals?

TIA!
How much did you pay? Currently, it is $85 for 5 years

Yes, I do fly out of EWR as well. There seem to be more flights out of LGA but it's such a hassle to get there.

From our experience, Terminal A does not open all security lines on a regular basis. MCO isn't what pushed us to TSA Pre-Check, it was Terminal A security in EWR. Terminal C is slightly better, but A houses JetBlue and Southwest so there are a lot of families going through those lines with lots of carryon bags that need to be checked.

Worth it. Even when the security lines are not long, the ability to leave things in the carry-on (liquids, electronics), leave shoes on, metal detector vs body wave thing, all add to the value for us.

Maybe you were just mistaken? You can log into your account and check the expiration date.

The $85 fee has always been good for a five year membership.
Perhaps you are thinking of CLEAR, which is valid for one year, per $179 annual fee (discounts are available).

Thanks for the responses I was mistaken. I don't know why I thought it was 3 years, but my paperwork says it expires in 2023 so it is 5 years. My bad.

No, it's an absolutely terrible investment, and you don't want to get it. After all, if too many of you folks get it, it's going to slow me down :).

That said, I honestly don't know that I feel just purchasing pre is a great idea. If there's any chance you're going to travel internationally, global entry is only slightly more for the 5 years. And if you live close enough to Canada, Nexus is by far the better option (assuming you can qualify, Canada tends to be a bit more strict on entry requirements).

Well worth the cost for my family but we fly at least four times a year.

Yes yes yes worth it-even when regular security is not bad not having to take stuff off or out of bags is soooooooooooo nice!!
Only regret is I didn't upgrade to Global Entry as now have done international twice, but I just discovered Mobile passport, which is supposed to speed things up as well at a bunch of US airports-and Miami cruise ports.

Yes, I do fly out of EWR as well. There seem to be more flights out of LGA but it's such a hassle to get there.
There's a reason for that, LGA has a fence around it, one of only two in the US (the other is DCA). Besides Denver, you can't fly more than 1500 miles out of LGA Sunday through Friday. This was put in place when IDL (now JFK) opened, to push the long distance travelers from Manhattan to the newer airport. When AA moved out of LGA, their new hub airport was chosen as DFW because it's 1466 miles from LGA, just inside of the fence.

What this means for you is that many very useful shorter flights are at LGA, because for the business travelers in Manhattan it's the closest airport. EWR and JFK get the medium and long haul flights primarily with more limited short haul service. And yes, DCA and IAD have the same relationship going on.

If you ever fly abroad, get Global Entry. It comes with TSA Pre included and makes re-entering the US much easier and quicker when returning from abroad.
Yes, definitely worth the additional $$ ($100 for 5 years of Global Entry vs. $85 for 5 years of pre-check). We’ll be due for renewal next year after we renew our passports, so 4 years of experience has more than convinced us that we will continue to participate.

There's a reason for that, LGA has a fence around it, one of only two in the US (the other is DCA). Besides Denver, you can't fly more than 1500 miles out of LGA Sunday through Friday. This was put in place when IDL (now JFK) opened, to push the long distance travelers from Manhattan to the newer airport. When AA moved out of LGA, their new hub airport was chosen as DFW because it's 1466 miles from LGA, just inside of the fence.

What this means for you is that many very useful shorter flights are at LGA, because for the business travelers in Manhattan it's the closest airport. EWR and JFK get the medium and long haul flights primarily with more limited short haul service. And yes, DCA and IAD have the same relationship going on.

There's also no CBP at either LGA or EWR, so the only international flights are from Canadian airports with pre-clearance (there are non-Canadian airports with US pre-clearance but none inside the 1500 mile window).

EDIT - I mistyped. I meant that LGA and DCA do not have CBP (along with having the "fence"). EWR has many, many international flights.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about apply for TSA PreCheck for myself and family. Just wondering what folks think about it, is it worth it??
Best thing since sliced bread.
Will never, ever, EVER travel without it again.
And we can't even use it out of our home airport, and it's still worth it

I have it and really enjoy it, but I fly about 6-12 times per year, so that's 10-20 trips through security checkpoints (it doesn't help on my international travel). My credit card also reimburses me for the expense. If I traveled once a year or so and didn't have it thrown in for free, I wouldn't do it. It's not worth the hassle of going to the interview and paying the money and so on, and chewing up 4+ hours to get it versus waiting an extra 5-15 minutes a dozen times per year.
Our interview process took 5 min

Absolutely worth it if you're flying out of EWR regularly. I'd suggest getting Global Entry if you do any sort of international travel...only 15 dollars more and saves time at customs too.

There's also no CBP at either LGA or EWR, so the only international flights are from Canadian airports with pre-clearance (there are non-Canadian airports with US pre-clearance but none inside the 1500 mile window).

I might be misunderstanding what you are saying, but we flew into EWR from Copenhagen via Iceland (on Icelandair), not Canada, and had to clear customs.

Well worth it. In fact, go for Global Entry instead if you plan on any international travel in the next 5 years. Its only $15 more than PreCheck. I live in Orlando so I'm flying out of MCO frequently. Having PreCheck there means much faster, consistent security clearance times.

I love having Pre Check. I got it after a really bad experience at MCO (over an hour in line for security and nearly missing my flight). I look at it as a $17 a year fastpass ($85 for 5 years) through the Orlando airport. I fly there from LAX which is another huge airport so kind of just makes sense. I fly a couple times a year and it just overall makes things easier. My last trip through MCO (in March) I was off DME and through security in about 10 minutes total. It is also easier with my Mom who is in her 80s when she travels with me as I don't have to worry about as much for her since I am usually the one dealing with all the bags (so no need to remove the electronics or any 3-1-1 bags).

Not sure that's accurate re EWR. It's a HUGE departure/arrival point for United's European flights. You may be thinking of ISP (Islip) or HPN (White Plains), but certainly not Newark.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts