TSA Pre-Check

The TSA keeps saying the free version is being eliminated, that they were no longer putting it on boarding passes randomly. That hasn't been the case though, people still get it free

Maybe I have missed it here, but it seems the amount of people saying they have gotten free pre-check has dwindled recently. Hoping that is true.

I flew from PVD to MCO back in April. Ours was one of the last flights out as the roll the sidewalk up early in PVD for departures, something like 7p is the last departure. We have pre-check and went to the line and noticed it was the only security line open. There were a few people ahead at the kiosk and they said they could not belive they got pre-check for free. So needless to say I grumbled to myself a little. After their info was checked they got directed to the right and DW and I got directed to the left. We got the usual pre-check tratment and were done in no time. The others had to do the TSA aerobics but they were through quickly as there were not a lot if any people ahead of them. They were still remarking how they were so lucky they got pre-check after they passed through security when they sat near us at the bar. Needless to say my earlier grumble was now a laugh. All they needed to see was the sign and they were sure they had gotten pre-check and all that came with it when in reality they had gotten noting special except seeing a pre-check sign. Perception is everything.

Maybe I have missed it here, but it seems the amount of people saying they have gotten free pre-check has dwindled recently. Hoping that is true.

I flew from PVD to MCO back in April. Ours was one of the last flights out as the roll the sidewalk up early in PVD for departures, something like 7p is the last departure. We have pre-check and went to the line and noticed it was the only security line open. There were a few people ahead at the kiosk and they said they could not belive they got pre-check for free. So needless to say I grumbled to myself a little. After their info was checked they got directed to the right and DW and I got directed to the left. We got the usual pre-check tratment and were done in no time. The others had to do the TSA aerobics but they were through quickly as there were not a lot if any people ahead of them. They were still remarking how they were so lucky they got pre-check after they passed through security when they sat near us at the bar. Needless to say my earlier grumble was now a laugh. All they needed to see was the sign and they were sure they had gotten pre-check and all that came with it when in reality they had gotten noting special except seeing a pre-check sign. Perception is everything.
I may be fewer, no idea. But they are still giving it out. That was really my only point. It hasn't stopped.

With pre-check (if the airport has it), unless you get called for extra screening, laptops and liquids stay in your bag.
That hasn’t been my experience at small airports like Bloomington, Illinois or Columbia, South Carolina. They have one line, but they give Pre-Check passengers a special card to go through the metal detector while their bags go through the same process as everyone else.

Consider Global Entry instead, that gives you expedited entry through the use of kiosks when entering the country and includes TSA pre, check out a list of travel credit cards that include it for free.
There is only a $15 difference. If you think you'll fly to the US from an international destination sometime in the next 10 years that would easily pay off.

That hasn’t been my experience at small airports like Bloomington, Illinois or Columbia, South Carolina. They have one line, but they give Pre-Check passengers a special card to go through the metal detector while their bags go through the same process as everyone else.
That is how it works in our local airport. I refer to it as precheck lite.

You get to skip the regular security line, which has consistently been much longer than any Pre-Check line I have ever seen at any airport. I have never waited even 5 minutes in any Pre-Check line, whereas with regular security...

Thursday evening at MCO they were telling the precheck people to get in the regular line. There was only one screening station open.

Yikes! Crazy to think that all that effort can amount to nothing because of staffing issues.

Yikes! Crazy to think that all that effort can amount to nothing because of staffing issues.
Talk to an agent and show them you have pre, even with the pre lane closed I have often been given a pre check card to hand to the agents so I could keep things in my bag and shoes,coat stayed on.

Clear let's you skip both lines so that's nice of you have it

That is how it works in our local airport. I refer to it as precheck lite.

That's lousy and crazy.

Have you contacted the TSA to ask them why if it's listed on their website that those airports have pre-check why you are not getting the total pre-check experience they tout on their web site? Seems like false advertising on their part to say it's offered at those airports and on their website it clearly says 'With a 5 year, $85 membership, you can speed through security and don’t need to remove your: shoes, laptops, liquids, belts and light jackets." and then have to have bags go through the same procedure.

That's lousy and crazy.

Have you contacted the TSA to ask them why if it's listed on their website that those airports have pre-check why you are not getting the total pre-check experience they tout on their web site? Seems like false advertising on their part to say it's offered at those airports and on their website it clearly says 'With a 5 year, $85 membership, you can speed through security and don’t need to remove your: shoes, laptops, liquids, belts and light jackets." and then have to have bags go through the same procedure.
We have one line but with the card we don't remove shoes, etc. Liquids bag has to come out but honestly, with 5 gates our airport is so small there is no line for TSA ever. We get to the airport 1 hour before a flight and even counting parking, walking in and security we have 30 min at the gate. So can't say we have a thing to complain about

We have one line but with the card we don't remove shoes, etc. Liquids bag has to come out but honestly, with 5 gates our airport is so small there is no line for TSA ever. We get to the airport 1 hour before a flight and even counting parking, walking in and security we have 30 min at the gate. So can't say we have a thing to complain about

Can't say I blame you. Always nice and easy to fly out of a regional/smaller airport. But when the TSA says you don't need to do something on their website and sell it as such you should not have too go through the extra, barring of course secondary screening of course. IMO they should not be saying an airport has it and what it comprises of if not give it the way intended.

OP: Although it'd make sense to get Global Entry if you do fly internationally--or plan to--since your trip is in the near future, it might be nearly impossible for you to complete the process to get Global Entry in time for your trip--the wait for the interview can be months. TSA Pre, though, is usually much faster to get, although I see someone upthread said it took 6 weeks. I was able to do the entire process, from filling out info online to going for the interview to getting KTN in a week, which I think may be more common.

With the way things are at MCO these days, I figured TSA Pre was a necessity, and I'm glad I got it.

The website clearly says expedited screening is not guaranteed. There is no false advertising. If an airport offers it, it is going to be listed even if it isn't available 24 hours a day. It would be silly not to.

The way I view it, it's offered when and where it's needed.
In the airports where they do the "lite" version like our 5 gate airport, there would be no purpose to have a separate line. There's no line to be separate from. We get to keep on shoes and we get a different screening machine to go in. It's an easier process, even without a line.
At some airports where they may close it early, it's because the lines for regular check are shorter and it's no longer needed. Though we've never flown at a time so late an airport closed it, and I frequently get the latest flights out I can. But we do short flights so that probably makes the different.

BTW, it's always possible to be enrolled in Pre-Check and NOT be granted Pre-Check access on any given flight. It's rare and random, but it does happen as a matter of procedure.

Last edited:
We have pre check and flying out of PHL, DH has had to remove belt twice now. I wore Teva sandals in September and had to take them off as they came up when being body scanned as a problem (I need body scanning as I have a hip implant). Same style sandals last year and no problem. I had Skecher go walks on in October and had to take 1 off as it came up going through body scanning. My shoes then had to go through the X-ray machine.

The website clearly says expedited screening is not guaranteed. There is no false advertising. If an airport offers it, it is going to be listed even if it isn't available 24 hours a day. It would be silly not to.

But if the pre-check website says you don't need to do remove certain things and never offers that at a particular airport, it's false advertising (for lack of a better term) regardless if they it's not guaranteed. The non removal is a selling point of pre-check. At the very least it should be noted that that airport offers a limited version of pre-check and liquids and whatever else must still come out. It's similar to if you are a business and offer something that says "while supplies last" you best have had it in stock at some point or you can get in trouble.

The pre check website does not even say expedited screening is not guaranteed on the main page. There is not even an asterisk or a link to the FAQ's page where it is listed as such. They need to be more open about it if it is never offered in full form at any time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter