TSA Pre Check...One More Question (hopefully...)

It may depend on the airline but it looks as of you can either call or go online to do it now. I know when I got it I had to call the airline to add it but that was a couple years ago. JetBlue says you can add it via the 'Manage Flights" tab on their site for example.

For Pre-Check the TSA says on it's website:

How do I add my KTN to previous reservations?
Contact your airline by phone or online to add your KTN to any existing reservations or reservations made before you received your KTN. The airline also can confirm that your first/middle/last name are in the correct Secure Flight fields. The KTN will be submitted along with Secure Flight passenger data to TSA. Remember to enter your full name, date of birth and KTN exactly as you provided during enrollment.

Also adding it to an "existing reservation" and adding it to your "account" are really two different things. Once added to to your airline account it should add to all future bookings but it may not pick up on existing reservations, again probably depends on the airline. I don't see why they need you to go through the extra step of adding it to an existing as once you enter it in your account it should be able to be transferred to any existing reservations via the airlines computer system. Though it maybe have taken sometime for the airlines to update their systems to allow that.

It looks as if United at least has it so you can add it to your account as long as it is far enough out now and it will pick up on existing reservations:

Your KTN/PASS ID/DoD ID number must be linked to your MileagePlus number no later than seven days before your next flight.
  • If adding a KTN to your MileagePlus profile within seven days of your next flight, then also add the KTN directly to the reservation so TSA knows you are eligible.

mrslur if you added it to you "reservations" and not your "account" you may have done just what AngiTN was talking about.
Good info. Thanks.

I think to give myself peace of mind, since I wouldn't like the whole, will or won't it link to my existing reservation question, I'd call and ask the airline to update my existing reservation. Of course you'd add it to your profile with all the airlines so it is there for future reservations, that's a given. But the only way you know it's on your reservation is when you check in and it shows on your boarding pass and honestly, it's a bit too late to find out, Oh, my existing reservation never got my KTN added. Calling will at least remove the doubt, even if adding it to the account may have also gotten it there too. You know calling does. I am not much of a gambler. Never been to Vegas LOL

I have no idea how to answer most of your questions. Sorry! But I recently got TSA pre check for me and my adult son (special needs). I was just going to add you get the number fast, in an email, then later you get the letter in the regular snail mail. I think the email came in about a week.

So far, I love it. Big time saver at Newark NJ Terminal A (an older terminal with crazy maze like security lines) and at MCO (which varies from horrible to not so bad).
I wish they'd do a survey of folks who signed up, or sign up, for PreCheck and ask they what made them do it. I have a feeling the lines at MCO particular account for a large number of enrollees. It's why we signed up. Maybe it's all part of their plan, give them horrible lines at a particular airport and know it will drive folks to sign up LOL

It's not even the length of the line at MCO that bothered me the last time...it was the complete disorganization of the whole set-up. My friend and I had been in the line, which was extending beyond the "ropes", but was moving along in a controlled manner. All of a sudden, a TSA-agent comes in between us and splits the line with a new "rope", directing some folks to go down one "lane" and others to start a whole new "lane to nowhere?". I went under the "rope" she put between us to stay with my friend because I was not interested in going down the "lane to nowhere" to see where it ended up and the agent was miffed. I explained that I was just trying to stay with my traveling companion. Of course, after being divided into about 10 different lines, you still get merged into only 2 or 3 to go through the scanners...the agents were all yelling at people to put their things in the tubs (which there were none because they were all on the other side!) and then they had people who were told they could keep this or that on them by one agent only to be chastised by the next one for not taking it off. Then, they pulled my bag off of the belt (why? I still don't know) and put it aside. I sat there and waited and waited and waited... until finally I had to ask if anyone was going to give me my bag. They simply handed it to me! WTH?? They didn't open it or look at it...just pulled it off the belt and set it down so I couldn't have it and then went about their business while I waited. Ugh! Ridiculous! The less time I spend in that line, the happier I will be. It really isn't the waiting in line that is the problem. If I had a problem with waiting in lines, you would certainly not find me at Disney World. I will be happy to pay the $85 to avoid that debacle again.

Hmmm I added my KTN to an existing Southwest reservation, but now I am wondering if I should call and make sure.

Hmmm I added my KTN to an existing Southwest reservation, but now I am wondering if I should call and make sure.
My thought is, it can't hurt. But it can hurt to wait and find out later that it wasn't added. Because it means you don't get PreCheck on that trip. That's why my advice is call if you get it after you have already booked a flight. Unless you know for a fact your airline can pick it up, like the one mentioned above says.

It's not even the length of the line at MCO that bothered me the last time...it was the complete disorganization of the whole set-up. My friend and I had been in the line, which was extending beyond the "ropes", but was moving along in a controlled manner. All of a sudden, a TSA-agent comes in between us and splits the line with a new "rope", directing some folks to go down one "lane" and others to start a whole new "lane to nowhere?". I went under the "rope" she put between us to stay with my friend because I was not interested in going down the "lane to nowhere" to see where it ended up and the agent was miffed. I explained that I was just trying to stay with my traveling companion. Of course, after being divided into about 10 different lines, you still get merged into only 2 or 3 to go through the scanners...the agents were all yelling at people to put their things in the tubs (which there were none because they were all on the other side!) and then they had people who were told they could keep this or that on them by one agent only to be chastised by the next one for not taking it off. Then, they pulled my bag off of the belt (why? I still don't know) and put it aside. I sat there and waited and waited and waited... until finally I had to ask if anyone was going to give me my bag. They simply handed it to me! WTH?? They didn't open it or look at it...just pulled it off the belt and set it down so I couldn't have it and then went about their business while I waited. Ugh! Ridiculous! The less time I spend in that line, the happier I will be. It really isn't the waiting in line that is the problem. If I had a problem with waiting in lines, you would certainly not find me at Disney World. I will be happy to pay the $85 to avoid that debacle again.
Right, it's not just the lines at MCO, it's the chaos. Which is what led me to think, they do it on purpose to make folks get PreCheck. It's a racket! LOL

You can wait until you print your boarding pass and if it doesn't show up call then. We always have problems with Southwest. We are a family of four and have flown SW six times since getting TSA precheck. Every time the precheck has been missing from at least one of our boarding passes and we have had to call and have them manually add it and then reprint the boarding pass. We haven't had the problem with any other airline, just SW.

I was able to add my new KTN to existing flights on United and Delta via their websites. United flights were about a month out and Delta was two months out.
Not only did I get TSA precheck on United but so did my non KTN coworkers. I have to make all the airline reservations for work from now on. ;)

Husband had no issues adding his KTN via Delta website to his existing Delta flight either. We both got TSA Precheck for the Delta flights.

I just recently went through the whole Nexus process for myself and my family (wife, 18 yo son, 12 yo son). It was a little confusing, but SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper than other Trusted Traveler Programs, like TSA Precheck. Only cost $150US for all 4 of us (12 yo was free), and thats for 5 years on enrollment. We get Nexus and TSA-Pre Check, and I got 5 Global Entry for free as I had an active Passport. It took about a 2.5 months from the time I started to the time we were approved and had our cards. The hassle was worth it to us, as we live right on the border with Canada, and we do go to Canada on occasion - so being able to use the much quicker Nexus lanes was a plus.

For anyone reading this for information on the process, yes you do need to create a TTP account with login.gov for each of your children, regardless of age. I used my cell phone and email for the youngest kid, with no problem at all. The account creation processed is streamlined for minors. When we set up the interview, it was clear the minor child would be interviewed with a parent present. They took all 4 of us at once, although we had staggered interview times throughout the same morning. It was relatively painless.

I was able to add my KTN to my existing Delta tickets immediately via their website. Just so people are aware, you need to add your KTN in 2 places - on the existing reservation, as well to your profile (for future reservations). If you have any questions at all, Delta's operators at 1-800 were very helpful (they had to correct a typo on one of our skymiles accounts).

Good luck to all avoiding the MCO line nightmare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!