TSA Checking Candy

Well, beyond the usual "Special Needs child who is best ignored because any attempt at calming him down will only make matters worse", and "Parents don't actually spend much time with the child on a day-to-day basis, so haven't developed the skills to deal with him,"....

There's also the possibility that if his parents were annoyed enough at TSA, they could have been passive-aggressively letting their child freak out. A kind of "See what you've done? Now we all have to suffer!" form of protest.

I've been, on occasion in the distant past, tempted to let my kids do this (but I always came to my senses fairly quickly and realized that a calm child is better for everyone, including me).

That's exactly what I was thinking! I hope my better self would come through in such a situation, but there is a LARGE part of me that thought "good for that mom - TSA created this mess, they can listen to the results."

I was at MCO last week and it was an total mess. We had to take all the food and all electronics out. So I literally just emptied one back pack completely, because it was easier than separating out food and electronics (because really, there's not much else in there)

They scanned every granola bar and candy bar. (Fortunately we hadn't been to a halloween party, so it wasn't the huge amounts others have)
Of course, in the confusion/chaos of taking out the new stuff, I forgot to take out my nicely packed, ready to go ziplock of liquids from one of the backpacks. And they didn't notice that at all.

I can't figure out what the real motivation is with all this, but it's certainly not making anyone any safer, and considering the anger and annoyance I saw at MCO, I'm thinking it's actually making us all a lot less safe.

Last edited:
We flew back from MCO yesterday (10/29) and went through TSA Pre-Check security sometime between 3:30-4:00 pm. We had an entire backpack crammed full of MNSSHP candy and did not have to pull it out (had 6 full bags of the Disney-provided ToT bags in the backpack). Nobody in any of the TSA Pre-Check lines around us were asked to pull out candy or food. They just pushed our bags through. We walked through the metal detector, grabbed our bags, and went on our way.

I can only assume that the lack of Halloween candy scrutiny was due to us going through Pre-Check. I'm guessing most of the extra scrutiny is taking place on the non-Pre Check side of security.

I'm also finding it a little hard to believe the story about TSA holding back a family and swabbing every piece of candy in their carry-on bag for explosives. Of all the times I've had my carry-on randomly selected for swabbing, or seen others have theirs selected, I've never seen/heard TSA do more than swab around the outside perimeter of the baggage. I think I may recall one time seeing TSA open a piece of baggage and do a quick swap of the interior shell, but that was it. They didn't swab every item in the carry-on.

The only time I've ever seen TSA open a carry-on and inspect individual items inside is when the x-ray screener hit on something they could not identify via the x-ray image. Only then was the bag pulled off to the side, opened, and inspected in detail. But that had nothing to do with swabbing for explosives.

I assume the story about swabbing every piece of a child's MNSSHP candy was dramatic hyperbole. There's no way TSA would waste that much time and supplies to individually swab every piece of candy, and there's no reason they would need to. Those explosives-sniffing machines are extremely sensitive and would hit on traces of explosive just from swabbing the outside of the bag. There would be absolutely no need to get as anal as swabbing every item inside the bag. If this episode really did occur as the OP recounted, the only reason I could imagine is because one of the parents may have said or done something to really irk the TSA agents. And the TSA agent (wrongly) decided to pull this stunt as a way to "teach" them a lesson!

We flew back from MCO yesterday (10/29) and went through TSA Pre-Check security sometime between 3:30-4:00 pm. We had an entire backpack crammed full of MNSSHP candy and did not have to pull it out (had 6 full bags of the Disney-provided ToT bags in the backpack). Nobody in any of the TSA Pre-Check lines around us were asked to pull out candy or food. They just pushed our bags through. We walked through the metal detector, grabbed our bags, and went on our way.

I can only assume that the lack of Halloween candy scrutiny was due to us going through Pre-Check. I'm guessing most of the extra scrutiny is taking place on the non-Pre Check side of security.

I'm also finding it a little hard to believe the story about TSA holding back a family and swabbing every piece of candy in their carry-on bag for explosives. Of all the times I've had my carry-on randomly selected for swabbing, or seen others have theirs selected, I've never seen/heard TSA do more than swab around the outside perimeter of the baggage. I think I may recall one time seeing TSA open a piece of baggage and do a quick swap of the interior shell, but that was it. They didn't swab every item in the carry-on.

The only time I've ever seen TSA open a carry-on and inspect individual items inside is when the x-ray screener hit on something they could not identify via the x-ray image. Only then was the bag pulled off to the side, opened, and inspected in detail. But that had nothing to do with swabbing for explosives.

I assume the story about swabbing every piece of a child's MNSSHP candy was dramatic hyperbole. There's no way TSA would waste that much time and supplies to individually swab every piece of candy, and there's no reason they would need to. Those explosives-sniffing machines are extremely sensitive and would hit on traces of explosive just from swabbing the outside of the bag. There would be absolutely no need to get as anal as swabbing every item inside the bag. If this episode really did occur as the OP recounted, the only reason I could imagine is because one of the parents may have said or done something to really irk the TSA agents. And the TSA agent (wrongly) decided to pull this stunt as a way to "teach" them a lesson!

Sadly no - it's not dramatic hyperbole. I don't have pre-check, so I can't comment on that, but me and several other posters have personally experienced this at MCO last week and this week. They are very literally swabbing every individual item of food. Like I said above, I just had some granola bars and cheezeits, not whole bags of candy, but they absolutely swabbed each individual granola bar and every individual serving size bag of cheezeits.
Like you, until last week, I'd never seen anything like it.

As for "teach them a lesson" , people are directed to take food out of bags and put them in the gray bins and then it's pulled off the belt before there was any interaction with TSA, and it was being pulled for nearly everyone. Also, all electronics - including tablets and phones - had to be out of bags, although they weren't swabbed individual.

As many have said, it was a complete mess and total chaos.

Sadly no - it's not dramatic hyperbole. I don't have pre-check, so I can't comment on that, but me and several other posters have personally experienced this at MCO last week and this week. They are very literally swabbing every individual item of food. Like I said above, I just had some granola bars and cheezeits, not whole bags of candy, but they absolutely swabbed each individual granola bar and every individual serving size bag of cheezeits.
Like you, until last week, I'd never seen anything like it.

As for "teach them a lesson" , people are directed to take food out of bags and put them in the gray bins and then it's pulled off the belt before there was any interaction with TSA, and it was being pulled for nearly everyone. Also, all electronics - including tablets and phones - had to be out of bags, although they weren't swabbed individual.

As many have said, it was a complete mess and total chaos.

Wow! Sorry if I misunderstood the situation. This was our first trip back to WDW since these apparent "enhanced" security measures were put into place. Plus, as I said, our family is TSA Pre-Check. So, it seems we would not be witness to the same level of scrutiny. Although, a few posters did say they had witnessed this extreme candy scrutiny even in the TSA Pre-Check lines. But we did not see any of that, for anyone in the Pre-Check lines.

I would have felt the same way had I not witnessed this with my own eyes on Saturday. Multiple families and individuals had all food items taken from their bags and individually swabbed. They’re going far beyond anything I’ve ever seen at MCO.

The train is sounding better and better or even driving!

Well, I guess if you don't mind trading half your vacation time spent traveling for a little extra inconvenience at the airport. Personally, an extra 30 minutes through security is still better than 1-2 days traveling to my destination.

I would have felt the same way had I not witnessed this with my own eyes on Saturday. Multiple families and individuals had all food items taken from their bags and individually swabbed. They’re going far beyond anything I’ve ever seen at MCO.

Again, I apologize for speaking out about this when I had not experienced it myself. Previously, MCO had always been my second least favorite airport for going through security (second only to Chicago O'Hare). Nothing has made me happier (travel wise) than when Spirit and Frontier *finally* opted in as TSA Pre-Check airlines. Now if only they would also opt in as Magical Express airlines!

Can you post after your trip? I'm wondering how it will be at very small airports in the Upstate NY/PA area.

I will let you know for sure!

After today's additional posts, I will be flying down with just two breakfast bars for my girl. Anything the adults need will be purchased on the other side of security. YIKES.

I can't figure out what the real motivation is with all this, but it's certainly not making anyone any safer, and considering the anger and annoyance I saw at MCO, I'm thinking it's actually making us all a lot less safe.

The motivation is easy. Terrorists (mainly ISIS) have been refining bombs that can go undetected inside food and electronics. By removing the food and electronics it allows the machines to get a better view of items and increase the chances of detecting the bomb. There are reports that terrorists have obtained copies of the same machines that TSA uses. This allows them to test and refine their bombs until they are undetectable by current methods. At that point the screening methods must change which is what we are seeing now.

Nothing has made me happier (travel wise) than when Spirit and Frontier *finally* opted in as TSA Pre-Check airlines. Now if only they would also opt in as Magical Express airlines!

You can use Magical Express with both Spirit and Frontier - what you can't use is RAC (Resort Airline Check-in), which is totally separate from ME.

You can use Magical Express with both Spirit and Frontier - what you can't use is RAC (Resort Airline Check-in), which is totally separate from ME.

Thanks, @siskaren! That is what I meant. I'd like to be able to do the resort airline check-in for Spirit or Frontier, as those are the two airlines we fly most often for our WDW trips.

We flew home on the 28th. We both had pre-check. My carry on had a ton of candy from MNSSHP. My bag was scrutinized and they swabbed a variety of candy. One of the TSA agents told us that the agents have been taking the candy. Who knows!

I will let you know for sure!

After today's additional posts, I will be flying down with just two breakfast bars for my girl. Anything the adults need will be purchased on the other side of security. YIKES.

I have a not entirely facetious theory that all of this is being driven by the airport concession lobby in an effort to get you to spend $5 on a granola bar (in addition to the $3.50 you already have to spend for your drink)

I have a not entirely facetious theory that all of this is being driven by the airport concession lobby in an effort to get you to spend $5 on a granola bar (in addition to the $3.50 you already have to spend for your drink)
I absolutely believe this to be true.

Well, I guess if you don't mind trading half your vacation time spent traveling for a little extra inconvenience at the airport. Personally, an extra 30 minutes through security is still better than 1-2 days traveling to my destination.

I have to agree! Though it all depends, of course, on your route and the quality of the train. Train can definitely be a pleasant alternative to plane if you're just a few hours away, or if the train portion of the trip is part of the whole holiday experience (ie, taking the luxury Coast Starlight from Seattle to LA). But, Ontario to Florida is not what I'd consider a scenic route. And if I'm going to Disney World, I want to maximize my time there, not spend it on a train.

Again, I apologize for speaking out about this when I had not experienced it myself. Previously, MCO had always been my second least favorite airport for going through security (second only to Chicago O'Hare). Nothing has made me happier (travel wise) than when Spirit and Frontier *finally* opted in as TSA Pre-Check airlines. Now if only they would also opt in as Magical Express airlines!

See, I personally have found MCO quite manageable from a security perspective. They always seem very well organized and they keep us moving.

Nothing - I hope! - will ever match the experience we had in Toronto (YYZ), where we all found ourselves herded into a room, crammed together, milling about like cattle, and holding our passports up above our head as the TSA agent repeatedly screamed, "Who's flight is leaving in the next 30 minutes?"

Anyone who was at risk of missing their flight was instructed to wave their passport in the air, and was then pulled out of the crowd. They had sort of a chaotic triage thing going on.

Fortunately, our second time through Toronto was considerably better managed.

We flew out of MCO yesterday and it was total chaos, it took about 45 minutes to get through security. We only had carry ons, but if you're checking a bag, definitely put your food/candy in it. I made the mistake of packing our sand dollars from the beach in an old hummus container, so that had to get pulled and gone through a secondary check.

Flew out of Hancock in Syracuse NY on November 4th. Put food in one bin, electronics in another and had no problems. Very small airport so we had less than 20 people in line in front of us. Flew out of MCO the day after the camera battery explosion. Sign stated 33 to 37 minute wait, and we got through in about 30. There was a dog sniffing everyone, and we didn't have to separate anything from our bags. It was chaos but we sailed through. Some folks were having trouble following the rules and grumbling about having to throw out drinks. I saw some carry on bags getting yanked and completely searched and swabbed. Saw a guy in a wheelchair getting swabbed. Overall not terrible, and I'm glad it's done until next time!

It's this kind of stupid stuff that causes them to repeatedly fail miserably on there Inspector General tests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter