TSA Checking Candy

Dreams0308

Mouseketeer
I listened to the DIS Unplugged this week and heard about the new food rules for security. We’re leaving today :( and when we got to MCO and they are asking all people to remove all food from bags into a separate bin. Thankfully all I had was a half eaten caramel nut treat — delicious!

We unfortunately witnessed a child losing his mind as TSA went through his entire MNSSHP candy bag one piece at a time swabbing for explosives. He was waiting off to the side of the additional screening area just screaming and crying because he was so upset thinking they were taking it or throwing it away or something. It was a mess!!!

So, if you are going to be bringing candy home just do yourself a favor and put it in a checked bag. I’m worried with how much that child was freaking out that the family was going to be pulled into an additional screening room.

Just a PSA from MCO this morning. :)

We went through today. We had been to Boo at the Zoo at Brevard Zoo and had masses of candy, all in our hand luggage. I told my kids he was scanning it to find out which was yummiest :) You will get all your candy back so you just need to let your kids know that.

I feel bad for the staff though, the guy was lovely but you could see him losing inclination to scan yet more of our candy!

We flew home out of MCO yesterday with 3 gallon sized ziplock bags full of candy in our carry-on. We had no issues. Candy stayed in the zipped pocket of our rolling carry on and went through without issue. We do have pre-check, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference?

We travelled through yesterday - candy stayed in my bag unchecked (separated from DD and family with stroller) but DD had to tip theirs out for scanning - not large amount - but saw others with huge amounts having it tipped out - unless you're travelling with only carry ons I'd check it.

We had a ton of candy after two MNSSHPs last month. TSA went through every bit of it. Took forever.

leaving in six days. with all of these changes i packed today mostly and rechanged everything to do check under not carryon only which is what i was originally going to do to save some money. i just can't be frustrated with all of this and sticking everything but my electronics under plane which will be hard enough to deal with and your shoes and belts etc. etc. Just too overwhelming so i'm doing underneath checked bags now. Just curious though people keep saying candy. do they notice other food like granola bars and make a big deal out of stuff like that or it's just candy all the time? because i am bringing crackers on the plane and granola bars and i guess i'll put them in a clear ziploc for easy organizing on the plane.

leaving in six days. with all of these changes i packed today mostly and rechanged everything to do check under not carryon only which is what i was originally going to do to save some money. i just can't be frustrated with all of this and sticking everything but my electronics under plane which will be hard enough to deal with and your shoes and belts etc. etc. Just too overwhelming so i'm doing underneath checked bags now. Just curious though people keep saying candy. do they notice other food like granola bars and make a big deal out of stuff like that or it's just candy all the time? because i am bringing crackers on the plane and granola bars and i guess i'll put them in a clear ziploc for easy organizing on the plane.
It is ALL foods that is being checked. I saw individuals who had popcorn buckets that were being checked. When I flew out it was random, half the lines were checked my line wasn’t but I knew from this thread to pack all candy in my checked bags. I had 17 pounds and I was NOT taking any chances of losing it or missing my flight.

According to MCO twitter feed, they are recommending travelers get to the airport 3 hours before their flights, 4 for international because of new food security screening procedures.

According to MCO twitter feed, they are recommending travelers get to the airport 3 hours before their flights, 4 for international because of new food security screening procedures.
We arrived for International travel 3 hours before - we were checked in and through security in about an hour - perfect timing!

If you have no food in your carry-on are you not affected or does the extra screening slow everyone down? Just wondering...

We flew home out of MCO yesterday with 3 gallon sized ziplock bags full of candy in our carry-on. We had no issues. Candy stayed in the zipped pocket of our rolling carry on and went through without issue. We do have pre-check, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference?
All recent changes have not affected pre as far as I know.

Last year, our Halloween candy was stolen out of our checked luggage at MCO. My daughter was ready to cut someone over the loss of her green Peeps lol.

I am seriously considering mailing it home next year after the parties.

Pre is not affected by the change.

If the line you are in is going by the new procedures, it will slow everyone in that line down.

This. The line I was in yesterday stopped cold for over half an hour 2 families after me while we all waited for our bags to undergo secondary search. I had a rogue pack of crackers in there that were a cause for concern... many MNSSHP going families had bags of candy being inspected.

They also wanted all electronics out, phones and tablets in addition to laptops. They pulled my wireless mouse out for re-screening through the machine because I didn’t pull it out. Shoes had to go directly on the belt.

It was a total pain. When I got there the wait time said 18-22 minutes and the line was short. I spent over an hour and a half from when I entered the line to when I got to my gate and by then my flight was boarding.

This. The line I was in yesterday stopped cold for over half an hour 2 families after me while we all waited for our bags to undergo secondary search. I had a rogue pack of crackers in there that were a cause for concern... many MNSSHP going families had bags of candy being inspected.

They also wanted all electronics out, phones and tablets in addition to laptops. They pulled my wireless mouse out for re-screening through the machine because I didn’t pull it out. Shoes had to go directly on the belt.

It was a total pain. When I got there the wait time said 18-22 minutes and the line was short. I spent over an hour and a half from when I entered the line to when I got to my gate and by then my flight was boarding.
In our line yesterday it was any electronics larger than a smart phone and didn't check candy - we went through in 15-20 minutes - but DD with children and stroller were sent to a different queue where candy had to come out and they took about 40 minutes.

We unfortunately witnessed a child losing his mind as TSA went through his entire MNSSHP candy bag one piece at a time swabbing for explosives. He was waiting off to the side of the additional screening area just screaming and crying because he was so upset thinking they were taking it or throwing it away or something. It was a mess!!!

Were his parents doing nothing to help him? Gracious.

In our line yesterday it was any electronics larger than a smart phone and didn't check candy - we went through in 15-20 minutes - but DD with children and stroller were sent to a different queue where candy had to come out and they took about 40 minutes.

Oh it wasn’t every line. I always pick the wrong line there, but yesterday was beyond the normal frustration at MCO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter