Trying to learn about Universal

tom1944

DIS Veteran
We are new DVC owners and the key reason for our ownership and trips is our 5-year-old granddaughter. I am trying to get some opinions on Universal because sooner or later I want to tie it into a WDW trip.

I would appreciate any opinions and advice.

What age would be the best age for a child at Universal.
How many days should we stay without making the trip a constant race against time but an enjoyable trip where we get to see anything we want to see.
We travel with 4 would you recommend a specific on property resort.
How easy is it to get to or from the airport to Universal or to or from Universal from WDW?

Anything else you would like to share.

Thank you

We are new DVC owners and the key reason for our ownership and trips is our 5-year-old granddaughter. I am trying to get some opinions on Universal because sooner or later I want to tie it into a WDW trip.

I would appreciate any opinions and advice.

What age would be the best age for a child at Universal.
How many days should we stay without making the trip a constant race against time but an enjoyable trip where we get to see anything we want to see.
We travel with 4 would you recommend a specific on property resort.
How easy is it to get to or from the airport to Universal or to or from Universal from WDW?

Anything else you would like to share.

Thank you
There's a lot of variables. The first time we went to Universal (2002) we were camping at WDW and just went to Islands of Adventure for a day trip. My youngest was 7 then. The next year we went back for several days. A couple of days for a first visit, especially during a slower time, would be a good start.

For young children - Seussland is fun, with 4 rides for kids, a playground, and lots of nooks and hidden things to explore - the Zax bypass, an egg in a garden to sit on from Horton hatches the Egg. The Harry Potter area at IOA has a small coaster kind of like Goofy's barnstormer. She's probably a bit young for the full Harry Potter stuff. The Jurassic Park area has another playground and an elevated track ride.

There are a lot of characters to meet, while she may not know the Scooby Do characters, there are Sponge Bob, Shrek, Madagascar, superheroes, and of course the Cat in the Hat, Lorax, Things 1 & 2, Hello Kitty...more I'm forgetting

They are just opening an updated kiddie area at Universal Studios park and there is also an animal actors show. The minions ride is cute, but the line builds up quickly after the park opens. It's been a long time since I've taken a child along I forget things!

If you are mainly focusing on the kid things I would say you probably don't need to stay at a hotel that gives the Express Pass. A family suite at Cabana Bay could work. As far as transportation, options are to rent a car, a car service, rideshare or taxi. Its no more difficult than going to Disney.

We love Universal! We have annual passes to both Universal and WDW. I have a 9 and 7 year old. I’d say it’s geared a little more towards our 9 year old because of her height. There are several rides our 7 yr old can’t do yet. It’s not been an issue, but it’s worth mentioning. Having said that, there is enough for your GD age I believe.

This last trip we ate at the Toothsome Chocolate Emporium. They loved it!

There's a lot of variables. The first time we went to Universal (2002) we were camping at WDW and just went to Islands of Adventure for a day trip. My youngest was 7 then. The next year we went back for several days. A couple of days for a first visit, especially during a slower time, would be a good start.

For young children - Seussland is fun, with 4 rides for kids, a playground, and lots of nooks and hidden things to explore - the Zax bypass, an egg in a garden to sit on from Horton hatches the Egg. The Harry Potter area at IOA has a small coaster kind of like Goofy's barnstormer. She's probably a bit young for the full Harry Potter stuff. The Jurassic Park area has another playground and an elevated track ride.

There are a lot of characters to meet, while she may not know the Scooby Do characters, there are Sponge Bob, Shrek, Madagascar, superheroes, and of course the Cat in the Hat, Lorax, Things 1 & 2, Hello Kitty...more I'm forgetting

They are just opening an updated kiddie area at Universal Studios park and there is also an animal actors show. The minions ride is cute, but the line builds up quickly after the park opens. It's been a long time since I've taken a child along I forget things!

If you are mainly focusing on the kid things I would say you probably don't need to stay at a hotel that gives the Express Pass. A family suite at Cabana Bay could work. As far as transportation, options are to rent a car, a car service, rideshare or taxi. Its no more difficult than going to Disney.
Hello Kitty?! My 11 year old is a big fan. Besides a character meet and greet, is there anything else Hello Kitty related at Universal? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter