Trying to decide if DP is a good thing for our family

Liz

Make a miracle!
We are a family of four (myself, DH, DS19, DD17) traveling 12/17-24 staying in a cabin at Ft. Wilderness. I'm running the numbers to see if the DP would be a good thing for us. Maybe someone who really understands this plan can look at what I've figured and give an opinion.

The DP would cost us $1,063.72 ($37.99 x 4).

If we don't have the DP we are buying the DDE card. We would eat breakfast at the cabin each day. Here are the meals and estimated prices I came up with.

Hoop De Doo - $157 w/DDE discount
Rose & Crown - $86 w/DDE & including tip
Candlelight Processional dinner package - Garden Grill - $140 estimate
Ohana - $100 w/DDE & including tip
Trails End - $50 w/DDE w/tip
50's PTC - $65 w/DDE w/tip
6 counter service meals - $200
1 meal grilling steaks at cabin - $25 groceries
Snacks/Drinks - $100
Purchase of DDE card - $60
TOTAL - $983

There's a good chance we will be returning within a year and can use the DDE card on a second trip. But the difference in price between what I have estimated and the DP is pretty small so that's why I keep having this debate in my mind.

Appreciate any help. Thanks!

I'm sure you looked up the prices and everything, but I have a hard time believing that you would be able to feed 4 adults at 50's PTC for only $65 or Rose and Crown for $86. The DDE card will essentially pay for a 15% tip plus tax. If you can, then more power to you! Also, I don't think you'd be able to do 24 counter service meals for $200.

I have the DDE card and I loved the Dining Plan. It was so easy to use and we never worried about the cost of things. The difference is only $80 and worth the ease of use, IMO.

I've done the math a half-dozen ways, and I haven't found a scenario, where adults guests having 1TS meal per day, where the Dining Plan didn't come out less expensive than going OOP. The more you vary from 1TS meal per day, though, the further you get from a place where the Dining Plan makes sense.

Thanks for both your opinions! Interesting way to figure the DDE discount if you just assume its paying for tax & tip - - makes it easier! Oh, and its not 24 counter service meals, the 6 meals meant all four of us eating six counter service meals (and sometimes DD and I share).

In coming up with the estimated costs I looked at the menus. Two of us usually order sodas with meals and two just water. We don't drink alcohol so I didn't figure that into the cost.

We've eaten at R&C and 50's PTC a couple of times before. If we got the DP I guess it would give us an opportunity to try some other places we usually can't afford! Back to the drawing board!

Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter