Trump visit on December 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think it will be as bad as people think. They should have everything cordoned off to the convention area. I would just leave a little earlier to get to the GF.

MCO will stop operations when AF1 lands and POTUS gets off and into the motorcade and again when he arrives back and takes off. It's a short period of time.

I hope you're right. The fact that it's in a separate area from the main resort helps ease my mind a little. I think I just started having anxiety when they announced RotR opening on the 5th and now this happening on the 7th set me off again.

I hope you're right. The fact that it's in a separate area from the main resort helps ease my mind a little. I think I just started having anxiety when they announced RotR opening on the 5th and now this happening on the 7th set me off again.

The VP was there at same location 2 years ago and I dont remember any major problems so I dont think it will be that bad. Yeah probably some minor headaches but nothing crazy. And yes I am also having anxiety about ROTR. I will be there Dec 5th for the opening. I just got back from Galaxy Edge and it was so nice and quiet. Dec 5th will be different story.

The VP was there at same location 2 years ago and I dont remember any major problems so I dont think it will be that bad. Yeah probably some minor headaches but nothing crazy. And yes I am also having anxiety about ROTR. I will be there Dec 5th for the opening. I just got back from Galaxy Edge and it was so nice and quiet. Dec 5th will be different story.

I'm so sad that we are missing the quietness of it. We get in on the 4th, so theoretically I could add another day to our park ticket, but it seems like a waste when we realistically wouldn't get there until around 2pm. But we'll go anyway after it opens and I'll have to just pack my patience and remind myself that it's better than being at work!

From the experiences in my area Secret Service doesn't tend to give a lot of advanced notice (I'm sure intentional) on what transportation disruptions will be and for how long for the public to know.

I know our local news for at least one of the visits released the schedule that the White House released and it was play by play of the moves and times he was expected to make. I don't know if that's always the case though. That was in the news as released 1 day prior to his visit. As always with travel delays can happen like with weather and whatnot that may cause the timing to be slightly off.

I really dislike when presidents or other officials do things like this; it’s such a massive inconvenience for the guests. I think it’s also kinda tacky that it’s a fundraising event, and not even something guests could potentially see (like a speech, but even then the speech Obama did must’ve been such a massive disaster if you were in MK that day). Regardless it’s a crappy thing to spring on guests the month before their trip

I really dislike when presidents or other officials do things like this; it’s such a massive inconvenience for the guests. I think it’s also kinda tacky that it’s a fundraising event, and not even something guests could potentially see (like a speech, but even then the speech Obama did must’ve been such a massive disaster if you were in MK that day). Regardless it’s a crappy thing to spring on guests the month before their trip
It’s not a fundraiser for the POTUS, it’s an event being held by the state GOP that he is the keynote speaker. And you have to remember, that these hotels do have major convention centers that are there for events like this.

We are staying at Wilderness Lodge and on our check out day 12/7 DH is going on an offsite fishing charter with DS; DD and I were gonna boat to MK to RD. Then we were gonna leave MK around noon and boat back to WL. Worried DH will be stuck in traffic (we have a rental car) trying to pick us up at WL...we fly out that late afternoon.

Maybe you and DD should take the magical express and have your dh and ds go straight to the airport with the rental. Seems like this could be easier

I am not so sure that there was more advanced notice. Honestly, there are convention centers in WDW and part of staying at any one of them is the possibility that there will be some disruption for guests. I stayed at CSR and on our departure day everything but the coffee center at the pool was closed. I mean every restaurant on site was closed. Sometime overnight the lobby was transformed with logo's for some convention that was taking place and the entire resort was devoted to them. We had NO advance notice, so when we went for lunch we were not granted entry. This was our departure meal, and I was not happy. Does this inconvenience measure up to the disruption that a sitting President's visit will cause? Probably not, but it was an issue for my party, and one that I should have considered when I booked a convention resort.

Hi all. This is my first post. :-) I'm wondering if those with past experience with presidential/VP visits think Trump coming on the 7th will affect the GF on the 6th? We are planning on taking the monorail and stopping at the GF on the morning of 6th to see the gingerbread house before heading to contemporary for a Chef Mickey lunch ressie and then on to MK for the xmas party that night. I called and spoke to a cast member and was told we would be able to get into the GF on the 6th. But, I'm not sure so sure cast members really know, at this point, what and when things will be cordoned off, etc... Thoughts?? Will his visit on the 7th cause the GF to have restricted access on the 6th??

Hi all. This is my first post. :-) I'm wondering if those with past experience with presidential/VP visits think Trump coming on the 7th will affect the GF on the 6th? We are planning on taking the monorail and stopping at the GF on the morning of 6th to see the gingerbread house before heading to contemporary for a Chef Mickey lunch ressie and then on to MK for the xmas party that night. I called and spoke to a cast member and was told we would be able to get into the GF on the 6th. But, I'm not sure so sure cast members really know, at this point, what and when things will be cordoned off, etc... Thoughts?? Will his visit on the 7th cause the GF to have restricted access on the 6th??
You won't have any issues on the 6th at GF.

You would be unhappy living in NYC; Presidents and foreign dignitaries drop in all the time.
Yesterday was the NYC marathon so instead of spending anytime fighting the traffic changes and people lining the streets we visited a part of the city far from the maddening crowds; good times are always to be had when you are adaptable.

You would be unhappy living in NYC; Presidents and foreign dignitaries drop in all the time.
Yesterday was the NYC marathon so instead of spending anytime fighting the traffic changes and people lining the streets we visited a part of the city far from the maddening crowds; good times are always to be had when you are adaptable.

We seem to run into races everywhere we go (in the past two years - marathon in Rome, triathlon in Seville, marathon in Munich). None of them we knew about until we were there and saw stuff being set up. We avoided them as best as possible and went on with our vacations.

Well I don’t live in New York City so I indeed don’t have to deal with this. But as obnoxious as that would be for me trying to get back and forth to work, I’d find it even more obnoxious for this to pop up during a vacation I’d spent thousands on. Just my opinion

Well I don’t live in New York City so I indeed don’t have to deal with this. But as obnoxious as that would be for me trying to get back and forth to work, I’d find it even more obnoxious for this to pop up during a vacation I’d spent thousands on. Just my opinion
It's OK; we all have our bugaboos.

I think visiting D.C. a month after 9/11 on standby with 1-way tickets (back when you could do this), or visiting Vegas 8/9 hours after the Mandalay Bay shooting (not even knowing it occurred until you woke up to go to the airport) or visitng WDW with a hurricane heading for it puts this several hour visit into perspective for me. But that's purely because of my experiences so I understand it wouldn't be the same for someone else.

Planning-wise for the OP and others it bites because they aren't quite sure when to avoid X or when to take Y instead but I'm guessing this is all intentional for security reasons which seem quite reasonable to me. It's nice though that people can give their experiences on how it happened before or how it worked in their area, at least gives some more information.

I don't think it's going to disrupt your vacation as much as you think it's going to. A lot of things can disrupt your vacation at Disney that have nothing to do with President Trump visiting. You can have transportation issues (hello, people getting stuck on gondola for 4 hours, ride closures, getting stuck on a ride, bad weather etc.) and the same with airplane travel, delays, delays, delays, Stuff happens!!!

I think visiting D.C. a month after 9/11 on standby with 1-way tickets (back when you could do this), or visiting Vegas 8/9 hours after the Mandalay Bay shooting (not even knowing it occurred until you woke up to go to the airport) or visitng WDW with a hurricane heading for it puts this several hour visit into perspective for me. But that's purely because of my experiences so I understand it wouldn't be the same for someone else.

Planning-wise for the OP and others it bites because they aren't quite sure when to avoid X or when to take Y instead but I'm guessing this is all intentional for security reasons which seem quite reasonable to me. It's nice though that people can give their experiences on how it happened before or how it worked in their area, at least gives some more information.
I get what you're saying but I think there's a huge difference between having your vacation disrupted by a politician running for reelection versus a traumatic event. I don't care which side of the political spectrum is involved. Having to circle the airport for a couple hours because the president is in town is irritating (happened to me several years ago at SFO). Conversely, my flight was delayed at that same airport for about 12 hours because a plane crashed earlier in the morning. People died - I wasn't going to complain about my delayed flight.

I get what you're saying but I think there's a huge difference between having your vacation disrupted by a politician running for reelection versus a traumatic event. I don't care which side of the political spectrum is involved. Having to circle the airport for a couple hours because the president is in town is irritating (happened to me several years ago at SFO). Conversely, my flight was delayed at that same airport for about 12 hours because a plane crashed earlier in the morning. People died - I wasn't going to complain about my delayed flight.
You kinda made my point in what I was saying about perspective, thanks for that :thumbsup2

I used to work in the building right near the heliport in Manhattan that the President and other foreign dignitaries flew into from the various NYC airports so there were pretty constant street closures/ entrance to the building closures but they were always really quick about getting things moving and back to normal. This probably won’t be so bad in terms of the airport and traffic etc. - don’t know about being at the Grand Floridian itself.

I had a post removed due to perceived but unintended sarcasm - I rewrote it in milder tones and it was accepted. I plan to be at Animal Kingdom early to catch Pandora then over to Epcot. Staying away from MK. Maybe the President's plans will change in the next month. I'm set to fly out of MCO that evening but I want to doubt our flight will be greatly impacted. This is in the week a lot of Star Wars fans plan to descend - Iit will be crazy enough with the opening of RoR as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter