*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

Thanks!

My dad just informed me they think they want to go for a NEW f-250
Congrats. Be prepared for some sticker shock. On thing I would recommend. Instead of the F250, I would consider the single rear wheel F350. Nearly identical to the F250 except with more tow capability. Price is only a little more.

j

Thanks!

My dad just informed me they think they want to go for a NEW f-250

They said they think no fifth wheel cause it’s higher at 150”
Overpasses. And harder to tow?
Could fall off when inspecting the roof cause you know they are curved?

All over-passes are at least 13' 6", so height shouldn't be a problem. There are over-passes in rural areas that are lower so planning is key to avoid those.
A TT is generally "harder" to tow. FW's don't suffer from sway issues that TT''s do.
Yes, the roofs are curved on a FW but I don't have any issues with mine and I'm a young 66 years old. Just remember, the fall doesn't hurt one bit, it's that sudden stop that hurts.

Last edited:
Congrats. Be prepared for some sticker shock. On thing I would recommend. Instead of the F250, I would consider the single rear wheel F350. Nearly identical to the F250 except with more tow capability. Price is only a little more.

j

I agree with this entirely. We are still in SUV territory because of the 3 kids, but unless you live in a state in which the 1-ton truck will create significant differences in registration and/or insurance, the price difference between the two is so minimal that I would upgrade to the capacity f the 1-ton over the 3/4 ton.

j

Not so fast. The rear suspension is stronger, extra leaf I believe with a bigger block. Problem is, they ride a lot rougher than the F-250 because of this. My suggestion is to get the F-250, then invest the $350 for airbags and use them when hauling. When you aren't hauling you can let the air out and get the smoother ride back but when you are hauling use the airbags to compensate for the weight.

The problem with the 250's/2500's is payload, especially if you have a fully optioned truck including Crew Cab and 4WD. My Silverado 2500, 6.0L gas, LTZ, Z71, Crew Cab, and 4WD maxes out at 2723 lbs. of payload. Most small FW's ( 31' and shorter) are going to have a pin weight of 1500 lbs. or better. My Jayco 27.5RKDS ( 30'10" total overall length) is near 1800 lbs. pin weight loaded for camping. Add in the 200 lbs. of hitch weight, a couple of people, and some stuff in the truck … that payload goes away rather quickly.

I don't particularly like to discuss weights verses tow vehicles … you just need to be careful.

Not so fast. The rear suspension is stronger, extra leaf I believe with a bigger block. Problem is, they ride a lot rougher than the F-250 because of this. My suggestion is to get the F-250, then invest the $350 for airbags and use them when hauling.

Not so fast!!! Air bags will NOT increase the payload capacity of the truck. They help level it and thus improve handling. Going to a 350 is by far a better and safer alternative if you're close to or may exceed the max pin weight or GVWR of the truck. IOW's, airbags are not a valid choice if wanting to tow more than the 250 is rated for.

Enjoy your rougher ride when not towing.

The difference in towing capacity is minimal. If you are that close, then upgrade to DRW as otherwise the difference is 1000# towing at most. This not that much, if you think this is "by far" safer you are exaggerating.

Last edited:

The rear suspension is stronger, extra leaf I believe with a bigger block. Problem is, they ride a lot rougher than the F-250 because of this.
Dude! I drive a 1 ton dually. Those little single rear wheel trucks are pure comfort. :D

Actually, ride can be balanced somewhat with tire pressures. I've had a F250, F350 SRW and the F350 dually now. None of them ride great. Get the F150 if you want that. I run the rears down to 55-60 when not towing and it rides as well or better than my old F250. The F350 SRW will do similar. Don't need the rears blown up to 80 if there is nothing in the bed.

j

Enjoy your rougher ride when not towing.

The difference in towing capacity is minimal. If you are that close, then upgrade to DRW as otherwise the difference is 1000# towing at most. This not that much, if you think this is "by far" safer you are exaggerating.

Towing - yes. Payload - no.

I'm not versed in truck mechanics well enough to get into why differences exist and how to compensate for them - I'll leave that to those of you who know better. That said, just going by the ratings, the highest payload available in an F250 (4x4) is 3,450 pounds. The highest payload available in an F350 (4x4) is 4,470. That extra 1,000 pounds of payload goes a long way in fifth-wheel math!

It's about personal choice. Remember there are various packages available, including camping package which narrows that gap.

1000# payload is a big deal to some, to others not so much. With my family in the truck if I'm skirting maximum payload I'm not feeling very comfortable.

To each his own on this one.

Thanks guys.

My dad said he’s pretty sure it’ll be like a 250 or Chevy equivalent. Him and mom haven’t found a single rear wheel 350! Moms like all the bells and whistles not gas and dualluy. It’s Hard enough to find a 250 single. Dad Wants the large navigation screen.

They are going for a 2018 Jayco Jay Flight 28bhbe. In either canyon (micro fiber) or tumble weed Interior. They like the look for the microfiber Canyon but concern about durability with our three children or someone spilling something.
Thinking back to the spills on my brothers old couch.

Anyway back to the truck. I think my mom would go to a fifth wheel as she was into a used one she found online. But my dad has the impression that you need a Crazy big truck. He doesn’t want to buy a $70,000 truck.

Last edited:
Also, he was told they have
Three kinds. The
One where you don’t take the bars off its built in where the hitch handles it keeps from going up and down, most expensive and he thinks of going with that one. My father mentioned the hail sale as it said online and they guy said the Deeply reduced it doe sale due to some hail damage to siding. But the insurance guys where out and nothings wrong. 2018 mind you at $27,000. Dad did the math and he wants to leave with $23,000. Said mfg on dealer site $7,000 off manufacture. Not sure how accurate that is. I wanted to be like show me the hail damage.
Inside I noticed that the microfiber couch (loveseat ) cushion was more filled on the one side pushing me forward.

But what has me concerned is the dealer. I know mom was talking about this place and we liked their attitude and honesty. I had a YouTube link to show but because of advertisement removed it.
But since they are further out and service center is dirty dad wants to go to this closet place. And the dealer said they are full. They are holding a trailer for a guy that purchased yesterday because he doesn’t have storage yet. And said they’d do the same for dad. He asked dad what truck and then said Oh that’s plenty. Honestly I get the feeling he World have said that about a 150. He piped up at one point and said they don’t have a list but first come , first serve. Where Other place said they recommend you spend your first night at their campground next door. So as any problems or questions you can have answered in the morning.

Last edited:
Oh, and they already have it at $23,995 same interior not this one wrong pic

Attachments

• 32D10CED-441B-495B-8EAC-6A243A2A9423.png
    32D10CED-441B-495B-8EAC-6A243A2A9423.png
    282.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Thanks guys.

My dad said he’s pretty sure it’ll be like a 250 or Chevy equivalent. Him and mom haven’t found a single rear wheel 350! Moms like all the bells and whistles not gas and dualluy. It’s Hard enough to find a 250 single. Dad Wants the large navigation screen.

They are going for a 2018 Jayco Jay Flight 28bhbe. In either canyon (micro fiber) or tumble weed Interior. They like the look for the microfiber Canyon but concern about durability with our three children or someone spilling something.
Thinking back to the spills on my brothers old couch.

Anyway back to the truck. I think my mom would go to a fifth wheel as she was into a used one she found online. But my dad has the impression that you need a Crazy big truck. He doesn’t want to buy a $70,000 truck.

No need for a crazy big truck, but it does not hurt and the truck was $34,000.
20180525_081811_resized.jpg

I have a Hatch 32bhds with same basic setup with couch and wrap around dinette. Like it from dinette standpoint, but couch is short. Good for two people sitting, but not if you like to stretch out on a couch.

Overall I like it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts