*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

Like the truck races, and even the truck drag races. See they are having a drag series up in Michigan later this year. Gonna be out of vacation tho.
Since it looks like I will have to take a couple days to go pick up the new truck, before GSP.

I'm getting smaller and smaller.

I'll for sure be sitting with Ed listening to everyone else's big truck talk.

Fuel mileage towing 17k lbs with a gasser. 5mpg is my guess. The real question is 1) What Ram 3/4 ton truck can support the hitch weight of a FW weighing 17k lbs. 17k lb FW will have a hitch weight over 3K. Are you talking a 17k GVWR or dry weight?

17 loaded. Dodge does make a 3/4 ton that is barely within its limits, but we decided just to go with a 1 ton

Traded in the SUV for a new Ram truck quad cab 6'4" bed. I need help picking a tonneau cover. Pros and cons to each kind?

Well congratulations on the new truck. And sorry can not offer any help on the cover as I have never had a tonneau cover. Of course you will need to post a picture, we love those here.

Well congratulations on the new truck. And sorry can not offer any help on the cover as I have never had a tonneau cover. Of course you will need to post a picture, we love those here.
Pick it up tomorrow after work, will post as soon as it quits raining. That could be a while.

Here is one from Ram site to hold you over. This will be our commuter vehicle. We both work at the same place.

iris.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats Denise.

As for tonneau covers, I've always had the roll back canvas type. I need the flexibility to get to the 5er hitch and auxiliary fuel tank. I like the hard covers for looks, (solid 1 piece and fold up) but they are expensive and not practical for what I need. There are also the motorized roll up ones. They seem neat, but are also expensive and I wonder about how water tight they are.

I'm on my 3rd or 4th soft cover over a bunch of different trucks. Avoid the snap type covers. They are hard to snap on and off, especially in the cold when the cover has shrunk. I had one that used nylon (plastic) square snaps that when into a rail. That was better. I've had a Velcro one for a while now. It is the best of both. It is going on 10 years old and the Velcro is just about gone from the sun and weather, but the cover is still decent. The end over the tailgate is held in by a bar with wedges that stretch the cover tight and the sides are Velcro. It is as water tight as you can make a truck bed.

THIS is the new version of what I have. Tuxedo Truxport. Like I said, I've had it 10 years on 2 different trucks.

j

On Saturday we bought the blue truck signed all the paper work. Monday they went to the dealer 70 miles away to pick it up. They sold it on Saturday out from under us. We been looking for another. Wednesday we found one online and it came in on Thursday. We pick it up today. It is silver and it has more "stuff". So now I am ready to buy my accessories.

20180427_114237_Dis Size 1.jpg

Here it is, our new tow vehicle, for now it will remain a tandem until the DW and I figure out what we want to do with it. If we remove a single axle it would be the same length as our 3500 Crew Cab dually.
We would like to thank TeamUBR and the family for a very nice dinner and place to stay on our way out to pick up the truck. Wish we could have stopped on the way back thru for you to see it, but Friday did not go as planned. We left your place very early and finally got to the hotel at 10pm. Had a small issue with the truck not starting at a rest area, but made it part of the adventure. Now to get it ready to pull the camper for GSP.

Wow PaHunter ... saweeeeeeet ! I'll bet if you spent another 10 bucks, you could have got yellow :rolleyes1

Last edited:
Glad you made it there and back, Chris. It was nice being able to see you and the DW again. Have a great time making the truck the way you want and show it off at GSP.

j

So just a few specs on the BIG yellow truck, it has a Volvo D13 engine in it, currently rated at 435HP, with a max HP of 455. It develops 1650 ft lbs of torque at 1050 rpm. That is nearly twice the torque rating of our dearly departed 3500. We averaged about 10 mpg on the way home, with 20 mile an hour winds. We will see, but do not expect our fuel mileage to drop much when we hook up the trailer, but we will see on the GSP trip.
Brake controller and wiring for the trailer connection have been ordered and hope to get to that project next weekend and also to the hitch installation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter