*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

The Jayco 32BHDS is an awful sweet looking trailer, but not cheap.. ;) Do you pull with a 2500 no issues?

F-250, pretty much same (Except it looks better :smooth:)

I don't even know it's back there when going down the road. Truck handles it very well. With the weight distribution hitch set correctly and sway bar I got it set to keep the truck leveled out. We've outgrown the bathroom tub, is really the only thing we no longer like. I use the bath houses, but my wife and daughters and not that brave.

The outdoor kitchen is my pride and joy. I have gotten lots of use out of it and the extra refrigerator (can't run the outside refrigerator on the road) keeps me from worrying about a cooler in most cases.

Only issue, the camper had several leaks around the roof and corners from the factory. I have since completely recaulked (removed the metal corner pieces and redid it from scratch) and now eliminated all that problem. Others I've spoken to deny any issues. I'm convinced mine was made on a Friday before a holiday weekend.

F-250, pretty much same (Except it looks better :smooth:)

The used F-250s are consistently more expensive than the Chevy/GMC 2500... I do think the Fords look better, but not sure they look a few thousand$ better...

The used F-250s are consistently more expensive than the Chevy/GMC 2500... I do think the Fords look better, but not sure they look a few thousand$ better...

Hey, when I was shopping it was about price and options. I looked at me all and was willing to go Ford, Dodge, or Chevy. Got lucky on mine for its price.

Hey, when I was shopping it was about price and options. I looked at me all and was willing to go Ford, Dodge, or Chevy. Got lucky on mine for its price.

Ditto. I don't have a favorite brand or maker... I have owned Dodge/Ford/Chevy pickups and although each had their own drawbacks.. all performed well enough that i would not hesitate buying another..

I'm buying used so low mileage/price will be the driving force.. Is your diesel or gas?

Diesel.
Used gas before, the performance of the diesel just convinced me it was way to go. More expensive, no doubt. However, not just power. The weight helps also. Feels more stable going down interstate pulling past big rigs and the air push that you can get when passing them.

Well I finally bought a new tow vehicle, not so much as to tow our 5er but it I will try it come GSP time.

View attachment 289587
Both of my trucks,
View attachment 289589
One hefty happy new truck owner, 550 Cummins w/ 18 speed

So have you gotten anything done on that big truck ?? I have been looking in to HDT for pulling the 5er, but need to find out a few things first. Have seen some nice ones in some other forums.

What i learned from the RV show yesterday:
gonna need a bigger truck! :)

I really like the fifth wheel toy haulers... but boy they are tall.. seems like a 1-ton dually might be required..

gonna need a bigger truck! :)... seems like a 1-ton dually might be required..
It depends on what you are looking for, but if it is a "typical" toy hauler, you will be much happier with a dually.

This is the toy hauler we had for the race team. It had a 14 ft box and we could put a Miata racecar in the back. It NEEDED a dually. 15,000 lbs with the car in it. 43 ft long.

ToyHauler-Topeka.jpg

j

I really like the fifth wheel toy haulers... but boy they are tall.. seems like a 1-ton dually might be required..
Yep, a one ton dually, for the weight you are talking about, would be my choice. Case in point ... my 3/4 ton single wheel/4wd is only rated at 2723lbs payload. With the weight of a toy hauler, you will be waaaaay over the rated capacity of a 3/4 ton truck, especially if it is 4wd and more especially if it is diesel.

May also look at MDT or HDT's. You can get a HDT and have it converted for the cost of a 1 ton.

No where to keep it when its not in use, assuming its not my daily driver... :(

Yea, that can be an issue. For now we have a one ton dually, looking at going HDT, just for comfort and visibility. Our trailer is only 15500 max and 43 ft.

Yea, that can be an issue. For now we have a one ton dually, looking at going HDT, just for comfort and visibility. Our trailer is only 15500 max and 43 ft.

I liked to see that.. I am sure you will share when you take the plunge! :)

The next truck I am getting will be a F350. I like my 250 but if we getting a bigger trailer or 5er, a 350 works for me. Not a diesel fan. I believe 9 grand buys a good amount of gas.

The next truck I am getting will be a F350. I like my 250 but if we getting a bigger trailer or 5er, a 350 works for me. Not a diesel fan. I believe 9 grand buys a good amount of gas.

True about the fuel. You'd have to log a bunch of miles for a bunch of years to make up the difference in fuel costs. Speaking personally, I'd really miss the the exhaust brake and the ability to effortlessly drive up relatively steep grades at low RPMs. I have not driven one of the newer Fords with the 6.2. I've heard lots of good stuff about them.

Also, for resale in my area (Houston, TX) it would be significantly more difficult selling a used 350 dually with a gas engine. Around here the only gassers I've noticed at dealerships were base XL, white trucks in the Fleet area.

Getting a diesel for the fuel savings will never pay off. Especially with the cost of diesel over gas, at least around here.

It is more for the ease of towing and, for some, resale. I tend to keep a vehicle until it is dead, so resale isn't a big factor, but the comfort of towing big with a diesel is worth every penny. Towing needs torque, not horse power. While HP ratings may be similar, diesels have twice as much torque. It's just how they work.

I'm on my 3rd diesel truck now and I'd never go back.

j

I agree Teamubr: I would never go back either. Same goes after owning 3 TTs' from 16' to 33' and 2 5ers one 38' and now a 43', i would never go back to a TT. Also after towing with a SRWD 2500 diesel and now have been towing with a DRWD 3500 diesel crew cab LWB for 10 years, i would never go back to SRWD. When i bought my truck i swapped out the original 35 gallon fuel tank and installed a 65 gallon tank and i only make 2 fuel stops on my 1000 mile trip to the Fort.pluto:

If anybody is curious, because I'm a numbers freak, I did the math on towing with a diesel over a gasser.

Assumptions:
100,000 miles- all towing
Diesel 9.6mpg (that's what I get towing my 42 ft 5er at 73mph)
Gasser 7.5 mpg (that's guessing, but a friend that had a V10 F350 said that's about what he got)
Diesel price $2.80
Gas price $2.50

The diesel is cheaper over the 100,000 miles, but by less than $3,200.

The really scary part is the total fuel bill. About $29,200 for the diesel and $33,300 for gas.

Well simply put, my 250 was wrecked and totaled by the insurance company. So I will be looking at new trucks or new to me trucks. I am basically decided on a 350 for the extra load capacity. However, where I live my parking area are tight. Getting a DRW diesel would barely fit or might not be able to parked at all (turning radius). Getting a 250 CCSB truck in one of my drive ways is chore in some weather conditions like the white stuff on the ground. The diesel buy in is pretty costly looking at another 9 Gs. So yea a nicely equiped 6.2 gasser with 4.30s would do the trick for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!