Tripod worth taking?

mjr0483

DIS Veteran
I am sure this has been beaten to death.

I have a nice travel tripod but I have never taken a tripod on vacation before.
I am going to Disneyland for 5 days with 1 day roaming Los Angeles and 1 day and Universal Studios Hollywood.

I am looking to get a Manfrotto Advanced Backpack that the tripod will fit into.

I am wondering if I will use the tripod enough to make it worth dragging around or just bring the monopod?

This isn't purely photo journey but a family vacation with the wife and 2 kids in tow.
In addition to carrying around the extra weight all day, putting out the family to be pulling out and setting up the tripod.

Ideas, thoughts and personal experience appreciated.

Unless you need a lot of family pics (with you in the frame) and can't rely on others to take the shot for you or plan on shooting some fireworks, I would say don't take it. Family ALWAYS comes first. I've missed more shots than I care to think about sacrificing my shooting in favor of the family but wouldn't have it any other way.

If you want portable support, maybe try a Slik Mini you can stuff in your back pocket. Doesn't cost a lot and is VERY sturdy for being so small.

Nobody here can tell you what the right balance will be. Will you have second thoughts if you leave it home and don't get the photos you want? Many won't care. Some will.

If you do take it, I recommend getting a locker for the day so you don't have to carry it around all day.

If you do bring one, I would just plan on taking it into the parks a day or two.

If you're planning to shoot fireworks, I recommend doing that very early in your trip since fireworks get cancelled a lot at DL because of wind.

Is there any chance you could get to the parks for a couple hours one night by yourself?

I have a lightweight tripod that works great at Disney. I bring it on the day I plan to shoot fireworks.

I probably wouldn't mess with a monopod myself. Not enough payoff for the hassle. You really need a tripod if you're shooting fireworks. For the rest of it, I settle for shots with a fast lens.
Unless you need a lot of family pics (with you in the frame) and can't rely on others to take the shot for you or plan on shooting some fireworks, I would say don't take it. Family ALWAYS comes first. I've missed more shots than I care to think about sacrificing my shooting in favor of the family but wouldn't have it any other way.

If you want portable support, maybe try a Slik Mini you can stuff in your back pocket. Doesn't cost a lot and is VERY sturdy for being so small.
I wouldn't recommend using a tripod for shots the OP wants to be in. That would require setting up the shot then stepping away to be in the shot. Way too risky in a crowded park. Instead, they should just ask Photopass to take one on their camera for them. Or another park guest.

In all of our days at DL and USH, and one trip to WDW, I never once felt like I was missing out by not having a tripod. I would honestly be so nervous setting it up and walking away to get in the photo unless you are in a totally secluded quiet corner, way too much chance of it getting knocked over in a crowd. Also just the hassle of fitting the whole bag on some rides wouod make me very nervous. What type of shots did you think you might need it for?

I had an aluminum monopod (lightweight) that I could fit in a messenger bag along with my camera and an additional lens (occasionally) I found the aluminum monopod to be heavier than it was worth and a year back invested in a carbon fiber monopod at almost 3 times the price but it is SO worth it. You wouldn't think an additional pound or two would make that much difference but it really does. Even then I only use it for videoing and maybe the occasional low light shot but I already have fast f2.8 lenses so I don't need the monopod as often.

I wouldn't leave home without it to get some long exposure night shots and fireworks but that is me. Ive got to the parks with and without family and generally my family is pretty good about giving me some time to set it up but most of the time im by myself or my wife and kids will be doing something else.

The only thing that I can offer that others haven't is to sit down with your spouse and/or anyone else that will have a say what your group will be doing. Then, I'd plan out what you definitely want to shoot and determine if a tripod is required or not and dedicate certain time during the trip to try and accomplish those shots. When I have a WDW trip planned, I always ask for Disney gift cards for birthdays, special occasions, etc. and rent lockers with those to store my tripod in until closer to the time it's needed. There are some long exposure shots and fireworks shots that I always want to get so having a tripod is a must for me.

The only reason I carry a tripod to Disney is to photograph the fireworks show....and I only bring it with me into the park on the day that I'm going to watch the show. Other days, it stays in the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!