Trip to Clearwater Beach or Miami

eleda72

Mouseketeer
Hi!
I am sorry if I post this in the wrong place, but my d.d. and I have been in Orlando about 10 times.
This will be our 11`Th. trip and we would like to see some more of Florida.
We will be landing in Orlando (I am not shore why I din`t think of flying in to Miami, and I am not shore if I can change my tickets)
Disney and Orlando is a "must", but we have 9 days.
I was thinking either Miami or Clearwater Beach, the only problem is that we don`t drive, so we would need transport from Orlando and back.

Any tips, ideas on how we can get to Miami or Clearwater would be highly appreciated
Tips for other things to see in Florida, day trips etc and hotels also.
We have been to Kennedy Space center before.

I have a "dream" of a beautiful sunset at the beach.... I love sunsets and of course Disney
Can`t belive that our trip is just around the corner :)
Thank you :)

I've never been to Miami but Clearwater Beach is beautiful. If you are interested in going to Busch Gardens (in Tampa, about 45 minutes from Clearwater), there is shuttle from Orlando to Busch Gardens, free with your Busch Gardens park ticket. It's a fun park, a good mix of rides and animal attractions. Tampa also has the Lowry Park zoo and the Florida Aquarium (I didn't think the aquarium was that great but the zoo is definitely worth a visit). If you do go to Clearwater, I'd definitely recommend taking a dolphin cruise. There are tons of different boats that go out several times daily (including sunset cruises) and the prices are very reasonable (most are around $20 a person). I've always had a rental car but maybe someone else will have some advice on transportation options.

NO Drive & No Car ....... Then you are Stuck.

It is at least a 4 hour + Drive , One way , to Miami.

It is at least a 2 1/2 hour + Drive , one way to Clearwater

Both of these trips would require an overnight stay , if not 2 to make it worthwhile ( 2 or 3 days out of 9 )

As you have No Car ........ I would think about Boggy Creek Airboat Ride

Sunset ..... I would suggest The Grand Floridian Hotel .... at the Boat Dock area & watch Fireworks

May be At the Lakeshore of Celebration Village .... Off Hwy 192 & I-4

Out of the two easily Miami. If you want to see a good sunset I would go to Lido or Siesta Key easily over Clearwater.

I've never used them, but Red Coach operates several intra-Florida bus routes. They offer Business Class buses with a total of 38 seats or First Class with a total of 27 seats per bus. Every bus has wifi and power outlets. They do not have a route between Orlando and the Tampa area. However, they could get you to Fort Lauderdale or Miami.

In both Orlando and Miami, they provide local shuttles that take you from your hotel to/from the bus departure location. Picking a random day in June (the 28th), I'm seeing $59 per person for Business Class and $71 for First Class for a trip from a Disney Resort to a Miami Beach hotel.

http://www.redcoachusa.com/

Hi!
I am sorry if I post this in the wrong place, but my d.d. and I have been in Orlando about 10 times.
We will be landing in Orlando (I am not shore why I din`t think of flying in to Miami, and I am not shore if I can change my tickets)
I was thinking either Miami or Clearwater Beach, the only problem is that we don`t drive, so we would need transport from Orlando and back.

Any tips, ideas on how we can get to Miami or Clearwater would be highly appreciated

I have a "dream" of a beautiful sunset at the beach.... I love sunsets and of course Disney

We were in Clearwater this weekend. Loved the beach there.
Can't help with what to do, as we just stayed in the hotel and swam or went to the beach. A lazy weekend.
From WDW to Clearwater Beach driving is 1h, 40m, down I-4

We
We are planning on doing this in Sept. How much time do you suggest we set aside to see Winter and Hope?
We were there in late September and there were no lines, but beware of field trips. I think we were there a total of 90 minutes or so... it's not a large place (you can tell from the movie).

We spent a couple of hours (but we take our time). We got to see Nicholas and Winter face to face - it was amazing. Nicholas in particular was very curious when we waved our popcorn bag around in front of the glass. Then left for lunch and Little Toot dolphin tour (a MUST do!). Then, we went to the other side where you can explore the exhibits related to the film. My kids enjoyed that.

We spent a couple of hours (but we take our time). We got to see Nicholas and Winter face to face - it was amazing. Nicholas in particular was very curious when we waved our popcorn bag around in front of the glass. Then left for lunch and Little Toot dolphin tour (a MUST do!). Then, we went to the other side where you can explore the exhibits related to the film. My kids enjoyed that.

I have been thinking about a dolphin tour. I get motion sick pretty easy. Was this a "rough" ride or was it more calm? Thank you for all the great info!

I have been thinking about a dolphin tour. I get motion sick pretty easy. Was this a "rough" ride or was it more calm? Thank you for all the great info!

My DH gets motion sick easily but had no problems on this. But he doesn't have probs on speedboat type rides. I don't remember rough - but it is zippy. The boat style creates a lot of waves which the dolphins love playing with. They came and played with us so much - it was awesome!!!

Hi!

if you can get to clearwater beach ( Beach NOT the city) you will not need a car for a a day or two or three.. There is a trolley system linking various sites along clearwater beach. Google Clearwater Beach Trolley... Also once you cross over the Causeway and hit the Rotunda and Beach, Pier Area, there is a walgreens on the right.. It's a pretty big one and actually has a bit of a grocery/food section. so you are not stuck with only restaurant dining. Or in the Clearwater City you will pass a Publix and such..

Maybe check on other buse or even Uber to get you from Orlando to Clearwater beach... IMO, once you are there you dont really NEED a car.

We

We were there in late September and there were no lines, but beware of field trips. I think we were there a total of 90 minutes or so... it's not a large place (you can tell from the movie).
We were last 2 years ago in September. Hit bad luck and a major storm hit and the boats were not running. so the free boat ride from aquarium to the Museum was a free trolley ride. was ok though.. my DD loved the animals. it's a smaller facility but really nice and a good way to spend a couple of hours.

I lived in Clearwater for almost 5 years and never owned a car.Psta city buses go almost everywhere.They have a bus that goes from downtown Clearwater all the way to st Pete beach that goes through the various beaches including Clearwater beach .It takes cost 5 a person a person for a day pass . Amtrack goes to both Miami and Clearwater and go out of both Orlando and Kissimmee .I have never been to Miami .It might be cheaper to use Uber to get to Clearwater depending on how many people but if your going to Miami you might want to use Amtrack.Not sure of your budget but the Marriott on sand key beach was always are favorite .It's not on the beach it's over in the bay across the bridge from Clearwater beach .Its is quiet and the views are outstanding but it's little on the pricey side .We always liked Gondolier's or Frenchy's restaurants on Clearwater beach .If you get up to St Pete Beach Larry's has the best ice cream around .

Last edited:
You could uber to Clearwater, stay at a place that's walking distance to everything (except the aquarium and you can uber to that). I'd think you would want to spend three nights to have a full beach day, a day to see the aquarium stuff, and on one of the days you could do a mansion/dolphin boat ride too. In the lowest uber category plug in numbers, but it would probably be $150 each way or so -- higher based on size of car needed by a little

We stayed at the economical Sea Captain Resort on the Bay. We could walk to the beach and pier across the street, we could walk to the Marina and Restaurants (Loved it).

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...rt_on_the_Bay-Clearwater_Florida.html#review_

Last edited:
Uber information: You need a smart phone, the app, and a credit card:

UberX – This sends an everyday car to your location with seating for up to four people. This is Uber’s budget option.

It looks less expensive than I thought. You will, of course, want to tip the driver too.
Uber Fare from Orlando to Clearwater Beach
  • uberX: $77-102

Without a car, forget it.

With a car I'd suggest neither, instead going further down the Gulf Coast towards Naples/ Sanibel areas.

Me too, me too.

I can't imagine without a car, especially to Miami.

Clearwater is MUCH closer and provides a sunset.

Personally I would look into some of the other Orlando things ....

Have you done Discovery Cove?, talk about a day away from Orlando (but it's not).

Busch Gardens - you can get a bus ride there in your ticket and check the bundle with DC.

OR keep Orlando homebase and use bus tours for some days away from Orlando.

Read through these and maybe you'll find a place of interest, then google your options.

https://www.viator.com/Orlando-tours/Day-Trips-and-Excursions/d663-g5

http://www.taketours.com/orlando-fl/sightseeing-tours/

https://orlandotouristinformationbureau.com/daytrips/sightseeing_order.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter