• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trip Report October 5 - 8

AGentlRose

Mouseketeer
We arrived at the Disneyland Hotel too early to get into our room, so I took my husband on a tour of the hotel. The last time we stayed here, we were always at the parks and by the time we would come back, it was too dark to wander the grounds. Stopped by the waterfalls, the Koi fish pond, the great pictures of Disneyland's famous guests and Walt. They had characters in the front desk area greeting guests, Goofy, Mickey, Minnie, Pluto. So this time he got to see how pretty the hotel really is.

I had just booked this hotel basically last minute, so I reserved a standard view, which would have been on a lower floor, no view. To my great surprise, Disneyland Hotel upgraded us to 8th floor (of 11) with a view of California Adventure and Disneyland! Disneyland closed at 5pm today because Miley Cyrus is having her birthday party there, so we went to California Adventure Park. I stopped at Guest Services to get a GAC for "no stairs" and we headed off to the back end of the DCA. We did get any fast passes, rode Mulholland Madness, 20-30 minute wait, then the Sun Wheel, non swinging gondola (we are not really thrill seekers), then to Toy Story, which I loved, was only a 30 minute wait. I didn't do great with my score, but it took me a while to get the hang of it. We stopped and got pizza at, Pizza Omm Mow Mow, it was just okay, I'm the pizza queen and parks' pizza doesn't cut it with me. We watched the Pixar parade from some seats behind where the crowd lined up, but this was good enough for me, I have several medical problems, so sitting anywhere beats standing. Next stop was It's Tough to be a Bug, it was okay, would not be on my "must do again" list. We wandered through the gift shops and stopped at Burr-bank Ice cream for a cone before leaving the park.

As much as I love this room's location and view, I must say, if I wasn't a night owl, I would be annoyed from the music coming from Downtown Disney. I think they stop around 11 pm. I wouldn't mind so much, but this is the third time, they're playing "Sway", so I'm guessing their song list is not very long. We did get to see the fireworks from Miley's birthday party at around 11:15 pm, but they were only about 5 minutes long, not the full length of the regular "Wishes."

Unlike WDW, Disneyland does not open as early in the morning. Today park opened for hotel guests at 9am and to the general public at 10am. I was so spoiled by the WDW transportation system, monorails beginning to run an hour before park opening. Well at Disneyland, the monorail pickup at Downtown Disney/Disneyland Hotel wasn't until 9am. So we didn't get there for the opening, but it was okay. Because the Finding Nemo Submarine line had always been so long the last time we were here, we made that our first stop. It was a 10 minute wait but that was because they were just starting up. When we exited from Nemo, the Matterhorn was right there, so we went on that, again not bad, 10 minute wait. Did some rides in Fantasyland, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Mad Tea Party and Alice in Wonderland and King Arthur's Carousel, all less than 5 minute waits. Then Pinocchio's Daring Adventure and Snow White and then Fantasyland started getting busy so we moved on to Big Thunder Mountain. The line was 30 minutes, but because it had stairs I was able to use my GAC "stair pass". This was the only ride I used the pass for today. Yesterday I only used it for the exits from Mulholland Madness and Toy Story. After Big Thunder, we went on the Mark Twain and one thing I notice was the quietness around Splash Mountain. Sure enough, it wasn't working, and they didn't know when it would be up and running. We went to the Haunted Mansion, we loved the holiday decorations. In the grand ballroom, on the banquet table was a coffin made of gingerbread and they pumped in the smell of gingerbread and the graveyard scene with the snow --- they made it so cold in there, I was freezing. The Haunted Mansion line was long, we waited about 40 minutes while when we were there in August, it was basically a walk on.
(some Pics from HM will follow)

We went on the Pirates of the Caribbean and also the line was about 30 minutes long, in August it was walk on, which puzzles me -- why is Disneyland so busy now in October when kids are in school. After the Pirates, we went down Main St. did some shopping, took the Walt Disney Railroad to Tomorrowland, and got on the Monorail to go back to the hotel for a break.
After dinner at our hotel, we went back to Tomorrowland, rode Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blaster (Toy Story in Disney's California Adventure is much better), Star Tours, we were going to ride Space Mountain, but the wait was 60 minutes, so we decided that will be our first stop Tuesday morning. I was really tired, so we just checked out the shops and picked up some trading pins and headed back to the monorail and the Disneyland Hotel.

Day 3 - Disneyland opened at 10am, but the resort guests were allowed in with certain rides operating at 9am. Got on the second monorail leaving Downtown Disney/Disneyland Hotel and arrived in Tomorrowland around 9:30am, so that gave us a half hour before the general public. We went first to Space Mountain, about 20 minute wait. After that my husband went on the Astro Orbitor, and we head through the hub into Adventureland, hoping to ride Indiana Jones, which unfortunately was not operating, so no fast passes were being issued. We headed for the Pirates of the Caribbean, 5 minute wait, not bad at all, especially since we were entertained by 3 Pirates singing outside and Captain Jack Sparrow taking pictures. After the Pirates, we grabbed a quick eary lunch at the Stage Door Canteen and grabbed fast passes for the Haunted Mansion because yesterday, the lines were quite long. Went on the Haunted Mansion on the standby line, 20 minutes and went to Splash Mountain. I decided to sit it out, so my husband went on through the single rider line and by the time he was out, it was our Fast Pass time for the Haunted Mansion and we rode again. Considering the temperature hit 99º today, that cold air in the snowy graveyard room felt fantastic. We walked around the Rivers of America, and since the Mark Twain was about to depart, we got on and after that we went to Big Thunder Mountain. Stopped at the Golden Horseshoe and had an ice cream, and then went back to Indiana Jones. It was running and because of the stairs and my inability to climb stairs, I used my "stair pass" and got on the ride without a problem, however, I knew the side of the ride they put us on, that there would be stairs upon exiting and I mentioned this to the cast member. She said "don't worry about it." Well I did have to worry because we were directed off the ride and up the stairs. I told another cast member that I cannot climb stairs, so we had to wait for several jeep to empty/fill up and go before we were able to climb back across the jeep so we could access the ramp. I think what upset me more is that there were 3 other people with us, who used the disabled entrance also, BUT, when we all exited the jeep together, they managed to run, not walk, up the stairs so they could be on their way to the next attraction. I guess it annoys me because I do have medical needs where climbing stairs is out of the question, and I feel awkward using the Guest Assistance Card, yet there are so many who abuse this service of Disney. Enough of my rant, I'm grateful that I am able to get this assistance when I need it. After Indiana Jones, we stopped at the Enchanted Tiki Room, and after that to Main St. for some more shopping and see the movie "The First 50 Magical Years" with Steve Martin. It was a great film and I loved it and appreciated the air conditioning in the theater, with the 99º temp outside. We came out of the theater just in time for the Flag retreat ceremony; got on the Walt Disney World Railroad and got off at Tomorrowland, stopped at Pizza Port after which since there was just a 10 minute wait for Space Mountain, went back on. Got off Space Mountain, and a 10 minute wait for Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blaster, and 5 minute wait for Star Tours. Park was closing at 8pm and since the monorail (one monorail) lines get long near park closing, we decided to call it a day at 7pm and headed to the monorail back to the Disneyland Hotel and home to Las Vegas in the morning.

Disneyland029.jpg

Disneyland028.jpg

Sounds like you had a good time - DL hotel sounds great, and nice about the upgrade :)

I love the pictures of Haunted Mansion - can't wait to see that when we are there in a few months.

I agree with your issue of people abusing services, all that will happen is that the services get removed from the people who really truely need them. The same thing annoys me with parent and child parking spaces outside shops...why do some parents think they're 15 yr old classifis them as being able to park there! :confused3 there's my rant :rotfl:

Anyway, was nice to read your trip report, and glad you had a good time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter