Trip Report: Japan with my folks (July 2013)

No sooner were we off the bus and walking into the Gion area than we saw a real Maiko! It was very cool and my mom was especially happy to see the Maiko since she had undergone a similar transformation. She sped by us and we hustled as well since we were trying to get to Gion Corner in time for the show that was starting in 15 minutes!

We made it just in time and sat through the one hour presentation of various cultural performances from court music to a tea ceremony to comedy plays. It was interesting to see these aspects of Japanese culture but it is not something that you will need to see more than once.

9381694554_822e56f678_z.jpg

9378909321_ab50f8d077_z.jpg

9378909587_06212628d2_z.jpg

After the show, we walked slowly through Gion back to the bus stop.

9474933837_7907b695b1_z.jpg

Totally random, but as we were waiting for a bus, what seemed like a religious procession went by. The group was marching down the street chanting while one gentleman was carrying a large and heavy “bamboo log” that was lit on one end.

9381695304_ab375d9be7_z.jpg

9381695582_7cb8cf0a4e_z.jpg

It was great to see this procession, though it did slow bus service down considerably and we were getting a bit tired at this point. But we had one more stop. It was now approaching 8pm and we really needed to pick up some dinner. I had read about the Nishiki market and how it was a great place to walk around and purchase/sample lots of great food and other souvenirs so we made our way in that direction.

Unfortunately when we go there all we saw were closed stores:
9477717972_902052fb92_z.jpg

So at that point we decided to call it a night. We were within walking distance of the Hotel Monterrey so off we went. We stopped at a supermarket that was two blocks away from the hotel and picked up some sodas, water and sandwiches. When we got to the hotel, we were hungry and tired but had to go through the check-in process at that point. Thank goodness, our luggage had arrived so there would be no improvising of outfits for the remainder of the trip!

One thing that I have not mentioned is that at both the Century Southern and Hotel Monterey, since there were three of us, the hotel put three beds in the room! When walked into the room at Century Southern and then again at Hotel Monterey, I questioned if I was in an episode of I love Lucy! LOL. Funny, it didn’t phase my parents at all! The only downside with three beds is that it took up precious space in the rooms.

9473836093_b8a6f7a431_z.jpg

We got to eat, relax and then it was off to bed.

UP NEXT: Shrines, shrines and would you like some beer with your orange juice?

Great Trip Report! We are in the pre-planning stages of a Tokyo, Disneyland Tokyo & Kyoto trip for next May-June. I can't wait to see more!

Quick question....we are staying in Kyoto as part of our 9 day tour (doing a 9 day tour of Tokyo/Kyoto then on to Tokyo Disney for a week then Tokyo 3 more days!) anyway, we have a free day without tours in Kyoto - is the Gion easy to do on your own? Just to walk around the area? Any tips would be great - I leave next Monday!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Great Trip Report! We are in the pre-planning stages of a Tokyo, Disneyland Tokyo & Kyoto trip for next May-June. I can't wait to see more!

Quick question....we are staying in Kyoto as part of our 9 day tour (doing a 9 day tour of Tokyo/Kyoto then on to Tokyo Disney for a week then Tokyo 3 more days!) anyway, we have a free day without tours in Kyoto - is the Gion easy to do on your own? Just to walk around the area? Any tips would be great - I leave next Monday!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Disneychic -
Sorry for the late reply, hopefully you will see this before your free day in Kyoto.

Gion is manageable on your own. There is the Yasaka shrine to see and otherwise it is pretty much shops, restaurants and Gion Corner from my experience. The area with narrow brick streets is interesting to see as it looks like a bit of history that has not changed. I have only spent two to three hours at a time in Gion. Have a great time!

Thursday, July 11

Today was spent primarily hopping all around Kyoto visiting shrines. So there will primarily be photos of our adventure (versus a long write up).

We started our day early and took the subway a few stops north where we connected to a bus that took us to Kinkakuji, also known as the Temple of the Golden Pavilion). We got there about 40 minutes before opening because we wanted the opportunity to get some photos without massive crowds in the background.

Kinkakuji IMHO is one of the most beautiful temples in Kyoto:
9378910575_1035379712_z.jpg

After an hour and a half at Kinkakuji we stopped at a few shops on the main road while we waited for a bus to take us to our next destination - Ginkakuji. The bus let us off near the Philosopher's Walk which is a walkway near a canal that connects some of the sights in Kyoto:
9381696298_4145a3e1b5_z.jpg

Just off of the Philosopher's Walk (a few blocks) is Ginkakuji which is also known as the Silver Pavilion. Unlike, Kinkakuji, Ginkakuji is not clad in silver. If it was, it would have been phenomenal to look at. However the grounds at Ginkakuji are great. There is a sand garden, streams and a vista of Kyoto from the top of a hill.

The grounds of Ginkakuji (near the entrance gate):
9378911277_b5354148c3_z.jpg

Ginkakuji:
9378911707_ffc66195c4_z.jpg

9378912171_4d43f3feb8_z.jpg

From Ginkakuji, it was back on a bus to Kiyomizudera, the terraced temple:
9381698196_e91f662d27_z.jpg

From Kiyomizudera, it was time for a bus to Kyoto Station where we caught a train to take us to the Arashiyama area. It was about a 10-15 minute walk to the Bamboo walk. The bamboo walk was nice, and more importantly cool since the bamboo was high into the sky which provided a nice shade from the blazing sun:
9378913121_12c04b8d13_z.jpg

9381698994_8c243d17bf_z.jpg

We walked along the bamboo path for a good 45 minutes just taking it all in. There are some temples that you can stop in, but the walk was mostly just that.

We exited the walk and started to head towards the Arashiyama Monkey Park but took a detour at the Arashiyama Scenic Railroad Station. there were a few shops there that my mother wanted to look at. While she and my Dad did that I stopped at the Kirin Beer Garden (more of a stand) and tried something new to me - beer mixed with juice! I chose to mix my beer with orange juice. They gave me a glass with orange juice and separately you were given a measuring cup of beer and a strainer like device which I guess was to make sure the beer mixed properly. It was cool to do, and didn't taste too bad - the orange juice taste overpowered the beer. But it was refreshing on a really hot day!
9378913839_349da50565_z.jpg

When my parents were done with their window shopping, my dad announced that he was worn out (it was close to 6 at this point) and needed to get some rest. So we skipped the Monkey Park and headed back to the hotel.

We picked up some food at the supermarket. We ate and relaxed back in our hotel room before falling asleep.

NEXT UP: Our final full day in Japan: Hiroshima and Miyajima Island.

Okay, time to wrap this trip report up!

Friday, July 12
We woke up early and made our way to Kyoto Station for the roughly two hour trip to Hiroshima. It was a smooth and comfortable ride. When we arrived in Hiroshima, we made our way to the Hirsohima Streetcar and purchased our fares.

We arrived at the Peace Memorial Park a short while later. We first visited the A-Bomb Dome, the various statues/memorials and the Hypocenter. It was a very sobering and sad place to visit but important to see.

9378914119_d30ecc579e_z.jpg

9381700024_aa53746737_z.jpg

After visiting the park and museum for a few hours (I didn't take too many pics of the museum as I chose to just take it all in as a personal experience) we headed to the tram and went to the nearest JR station to catch a train to Miyajimaguchi. From the JR station it was a very short walk to the pier where we caught the Ferry to Miyajima.

It is a short, but peaceful ferry ride to Miyajima Island. Miyajima is famous for its large tori gate which sits in the harbor and there are deer roaming freely everywhere.

9378915011_52837db566_z.jpg

9378915623_bf2ac583da_z.jpg

9381701536_68faf03302_z.jpg

We walked around the area near the pier, visiting the shops, temple and pagoda and getting as close to the deer as we could. We then made our way to a shuttle bus that took us to the Miyajima Ropeway for a ride to the top of Mount Misen.

9381701910_4a9d800e30_z.jpg

9378917173_c9ea793d6d_z.jpg

The ropeway is in two sections, first a small 4 - 6 person gondola and then you transfer to a larger 15 person gondola. From the top you can hike to the highest point on the island (supposedly a 40 minute or so hike each way) or you can stay in the ropeway area and look over the area at the Shishiiwa Observatory.

We hiked for about 20 minutes but decided that we would not hike all the way to the top because we were trying to keep our eye on the clock to make sure we could get back to the bottom in time to get a meal and my folks were just feeling a bit fatigued. So we took a look at the vista from Shishiiwa Observatory and the view was gorgeous:
9381702936_18477d2d67_z.jpg

After a half hour at the Observatory we took the ropeway back down:
9381703424_d2a4804bc8_z.jpg

When we got to the bottom we noticed that it was low tide and it was now possible to walk to the Tori gate, so who were we to not give this experience a try!!!
9381703664_c4d814abb2_z.jpg

It was a great experience walking to the Tori Gate. There were small pools where you could see small fish and crabs still moving around. It was great! We then realized that we were hungry and in need of food, so we walked along the shore and tried to find a restaurant to get some food. But everything was in the process of closing!!! It was somewhere around 5 or 6 at that point and all of the shops were shutting down for the day! So we decided to head back to the pier to catch the next ferry to Miyajimaguchi. It was a little sad for us because this meant that our trip to Japan was starting to come to an end.

When we got back to Miyajimaguchi we stopped at a shop to purchase some Momiji Manju cakes and then stopped at another shop that made tea pots and other porcelains. Then it was time to hop on a JR Train to Hiroshima Station where we boarded a Shinkansen back to Kyoto (after grabbing a snack to tide us over). Back in Kyoto, we stopped one final time at the grocery store to pick up some food and then it was back to the hotel to eat and pack.

Saturday, July 13
We were up and at 'em early so that we could check out of our hotel and get to Kyoto Station in time to catch a 7:29am Shinkansen back to Tokyo.

9381704172_6b1368be06_z.jpg

9381704660_9935cbb18c_z.jpg

Once we got to Tokyo it was a bit of a trek to get to the Narita Express counter and tracks. Then it was a smooth ride to Narita... until I realized that I had left my Mount Fuji walking stick somewhere! I searched the Narita Express train from top to bottom until it dawned on my that I had left the walking sticks on the Shinkansen! :sad1:

That was not how I wanted my trip to end, but I guess I now have to consider a return to Mount Fuji (returning to Japan is a given!).

I loved just about every moment of our trip and was glad to finally experience Japan with someone else. Tokyo Disney Resort is still a favorite, and I will have to see it at Christmas and Halloween before I kick the bucket!

Thanks for following along and I hope that my trip report has given some of you some ideas or insight into a trip to Japan!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter