• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trip report- Fairytale Adventure Day 1,2 and 3

lkueffer

Earning My Ears
Who we are: Mike, Liz, Lauren (12) and Haley(7)
The specifics about our travel dates: Left Ohare on May 29th at 6:30p.m. for a non stop flight to Frankfurt. Arrived at 10:00 a.m on the 30th.
Our adventure begins- we were met at baggage claim by a ABD rep. who showed us where the bathrooms were, grabbed our luggage and helped us get through customs. We walked to a bus where there were three other families waiting for us. One of our guides(Jason) met us at the bus, introduced himself to us and off we went. I was so tired I slept on the bus but I think it was about an hour drive.
We arrived at the Crowne Plaza in Heidelberg, met our other Adventure Guide(Steph.). They took care of checking us in and we went to check out our room. We were given a family suite with two queen size beds, two rollaways, a seating area and of course a bathroom. By this time it was about 1:00p.m and we had our welcome reception at 6:00p.m. We decided to explore the city. The guides gave us directions to find good shopping and off we went. We took time just enjoying the sights. We also discovered a bakery and had our first of many pretzels. Our seven year old probably ate 10 during our trip.
At 6:00p.m. we attended the welcome dinner and met all the others in our group. We all seemed to become friends instantly. We had 40 in our group and 10 of those were children. It was a good mix of people. Some had kids others didn't.
During the welcome reception we played a get-to-know each other game that was very non-threatening to those of us that are a little shy. Dinner was served buffet style and there were choices that seemed to please everyone.
When we got back to the room we looked through our guide book to get ready for the next day. They give you a guide book to tell you what time you have to be ready for the different meals and outings. The times were not too early usually.
Day 2- Heidelberg Castle. We met the first of two Disney hired character/ guides that took us through the castle. We spent alot of time at this castle and were given a historical account of the castle with the help of several historical characters along the way. After the castle tour we had time to explore Heidelberg on our own. We walked down 380 stairs to get to the town below the castle. We ate lunch at an outdoor cafe that had many kid friendly choices, did some shopping and made our way back to the Crowne Plaza. We were told by someone in our group that shopping in Rothenburg was the best so we held off and made our big purchases there.
Dinner tonight was at Zum Ritter. We were taught about the formalities of dancing by a court jester. We also were treated to beautiful music by a lute player. This night we also had wine tasting. We had three choices for dinner this night(weiner schnitzel, ravioli,pork, ) The kids menu had chicken legs and ravioli All in all a wonderful day.
Day 3 we were off to Alsfeld. What a beautiful little town. Here we met the Brothers Grimm. They gave us a tour of the town. We also met little red riding hood and heard her story from some townspeople. Very entertaining. Everywhere we looked in this town we saw statues of fairytale characters. We were provided a wonderful picnic lunch in a beautiful courtyard. Lunch was a sandwich, chips, fruit, granola bars and beverage. We were also treated to some local sausage. We were there on a Sunday so none of the stores were open. We really didn't have much time for shopping anyway.
In the afternoon we went to the Trendelburg castle where we were staying for the next two nights. We were greeted by a night and told the story of Rapunzel. Rapunzel was up in her tower. After a tour of the castle we had refreshments outside in the courtyard. The surroundings here are beautiful. This stop provided the whole group the opportunity to really get to know each other. The kids really enjoyed the castle. They had the whole grounds to themselves so they enjoyed chasing and playing hide and seek. Dinner tonight was at the castle. We were given three choices, trout, chicken and ?(can't remember the third). Kids choices were: spaghetti or chicken
Day 4 to come. If I need to add more details let me know

Thanks so much for your wonderful trip report (so far). We leave on Wednesday June 25 for this tour (meeting the trip on June 27). Your report has just enough details to entice, but not to spoil the fun. I am looking foward to the rest.

Please keep the details coming. We are very interested in this trip next year and yours is very informative!!

Wow, I had no idea about the characters and children's literature history included. We had always planned to wait for the girls to be teenagers before doing a European tour, but am reconsidering. I can't wait to hear more and see pics :lovestruc

Thanks for the kind words. I definitely would not hesitate to take younger kids on this tour. We had 10 kids on the tour ranging in age from 5 to 12 years old and there was one 18 year old. The activities and tours all had a fairytale spin on them. In Alsfeld we met the Grimm brothers and Little Red Riding Hood; we stayed in Rapunzel's Castle; we ate dinner at Sleeping Beauty's castle and so on. Everyone from adults to kids enjoyed all aspects of this tour. I would love to do this again but there are more adventures for us to try. I will post pictures(soon) under the picture thread started the other day.

Thanks for the report. Keep the details coming.

We might be taking this trip next summer, our kids will be 13, 11, and 8 at the time. We will be travelling with other family members, too. My Father would like to extend our stay and travel to Cologne so that he can show the grandkids where he and my mother grew up, and visit some relatives.

thanks for starting this report. this is the trip that we are seriously considering for 2009. i am glad to hear there were younger kids, our dds would be 5 and 9. I am off to look for your pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter