Trip report and reflections from a wheelchair

BeautyLLM

<font color=blue>Beauty'ful!<br><font color=magent
Several people have asked me to post about my trip last week..so here goes (it may be a little long). We had a great time, as usual it was way too short. It was an interesting trip for me as it was the first time I had done WDW in a wheel chair, but I will comment on that at the end.
PIN EVENT: We arrived around 11 pm on June 30th at AKL, had a quick bite to eat and then went to sleep for all of three hours. Got to the Grumpy parking lot by 3:45 am, were given number 292 and soon came to realize that we were not even close to getting the coveted blue bracelet (I think it was blue). The last blue bracelet was given out to cars that had arrived around midnight! Apparently, there were people there as early as 6 or 7 pm hoping to get in line. Waited hours and were finally dismissed to the Contemporary where we had breakfast at Chef Mickey's and then bought the pins we had vouchers for and went on the pin adventure. Have to admit, we were tired and ornery (two teenage sons, 11 yr old daughter and DH) and it wasn't much fun. Turns out we could have slept, headed to Contemporary at our leisure and still gotten all the pins we got. DH thought that it was foolish of Disney to have so many people willing to be in a parking lot all night and not have enough of the special pins to go around. Guess we could debate that one for a long time.....
AKL: nice hotel, stayed at AP rate, wouldn't pay full price. We only saw a few animals and would have been awfully disappointed if we had paid full price for a savannah view room. The food has African flair and is very different. Heard alot of guests complaining at front desk about food (DH overheard a really ugly comment that I won't repeat here). Again, I am glad I tried it, but didn’t have anything that I would go back for. Hotel is way off beaten path...I don't know, I guess it was ok, but I still like DxL better.
BLAST: was EXCELLENT!!!! See it if you can. It was sooo cool and my kids loved that the performers walked around amongst the guests after the show, shaking hands and thanking everyone for attending.
DINNER AT MITSUKOSHI: family favorite...Fujiyama (steak and shrimp) YUM yum!
WWTBAM: was so much fun!! Got to number 6 on the audience board. Can't wait to play again in August. Great place to go have fun and beat the heat!
LUNCH AT SCI-FI: Kids love it. I could live without it except for the spinach and feta spread which I have been trying to get the recipe for for over a year! Atmosphere is good, food so so....
STREET PERFORMERS: at MGM are so funny. There were two women "workers", one boss and one who was not doing any work. The one who was not working asked me what happened to my leg ( I was in the wheelchair with the brace on) I told her I hurt it working which led to all sorts of funny stuff. She said I had kneeitis, the other one said I hurt it skiing and goofing off etc etc
STAR TOURS: My boys insist that some of the dialog has changed...pilot doesn't say "Comets! I have a very bad feeling about this" anymore....
PIN CENTRAL: Fun to trade and watch some sharks in action. Traded for the Wedding Album pin there.
ELLEN'S ENERGY ADVENTURE: Stupid Judy...another family favorite....DH always dozes......
MK: Still my favorite park....I could sit on a park bench, turkey leg in hand and people watch all day....
ALADDIN"S MAGIC CARPET RIDE: only a ten minute wait. Lot's of fun (ok, I admit, I don't do roller coasters so this is quite a thrill ride for me..LOL) They found yet another use for those camels from the Aladdin parade and yes, they still spit!
CRYSTAL PALACE: When our waiter saw the immobilizer on my leg, he took my hand and sang a song to me to help it to feel better! LOL!! My kids almost died of embarassment which made it even better!!!!
JULY 4th FIREWORKS AT MK: were awesome. The park was full to capacity (in other words, they weren’t letting anyone else in) and it was mobbed. But when the fireworks started, everyone stopped and watched Tink fly from the castle and watched the rest of the show. They played patriotic songs and had fireworks 360 degrees around the park. Everyone sang the National Anthem…it was Disney at it’s best…awe inspiring and even a few teary eyes…..
REFLECTIONS FROM A WHEELCHAIR: As most of you know, I had knee surgery about a month ago. So, I was in a wheelchair a lot. (BTW, at AKL you give a deposit and can keep the wheelchair for the duration of your trip. When you turn it in, they give you your money back!). It was interesting to see how differently you are treated if you are in a wheelchair. Most of the CM’s addressed me as if I had brain damage (no comments from the peanut gallery)…they would bend down with their hands on their knees and talk very loud and slow…it was actually very insulting “hello…how…are…you…today?….Are…you…having….a…good…time? The ones who helped to push my chair were very rough which was uncalled for. Most of the guests were clearly annoyed to have someone in a wheelchair getting in their way. Several people were stepping over me, and one night at Spectromagic, a woman actually grabbed the handles and moved my chair!!! With me in it!!! I was astounded and have a lot more empathy now for people who are disabled. Just because a person can’t walk or talk or use an arm or whatever doesn’t make him or her any less of a person. I was treated as less than a person by most of the people I came in contact with. This is something we should all keep in mind when we come in contact with people who are different from us……

Well, all that being said, I had a wonderful time at Mickey’s house. I can’t wait til I go back in August!!!!!

Leslie

I'm so glad you had a fun time in spite of all the insensitivity (that's putting in mildly) of some guests and CM...looking forward to seeing you in August.

Glad you had what sounds like a great trip. I really enjoyed your report.
T.h.a.n.k.s
f.o.r
s.h.a.r.i.n.g.
Can you understand me? :jester: ;)

Leslie, thanks for sharing your trip report including the weird phenomenom that seems to happen when you are in a wheelchair. We travelled to WDW with a friend who was in a wheelchair and were astounded at how many times the CM's would ask one of US(!) "can she walk far enough to get to the loading area?" We felt like responding "SHE can hear and SHE can answer the question as well". It really opened my eyes as to how people who are in wheelchairs are treated. I can't say for sure if I ever inadvertantly acted like this in the past, but I know that I make a conscious effort to speak to people who are in wheelchairs and not just to their companions.

Suzi

My DH and I took his father to Disney (WDW) many times, and the last 10 years or so we rented a wheelchair to help him get around (in his late 80's to 90 - bad knees). Our experience with the CM's and guests was fine, but our sensitivity to others in wheelchairs is heightened after having had a companion in one for many trips. I remember especially how the CM's in parades would come over to my father-in-law and pay special attention to him - Cinderella at MK and many of the tapestry of nations large "puppet" people would bend down and extend a hand to him to touch. He loved it, and so do we! At 90 he was still young at heart and enjoyed the Disney magic. I'm so glad we took him with us as many times as we could.
We did not experience any condescending behavior from the ride attendants. They did ask if he could walk to the ride, so that they could have us wait for the specially equipped car to accomodate the wheelchair, if necessary.
I agree: everyone needs to be more sensitive to the perspective of those in wheelchairs or with other challenges.
Penny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter