Trip Report!! ABD Enchanted China 6/4-15/2017 Update 8/11/18! Day 10 - Shanghai à la Carte

The soap dish is absolutely beautiful, and that hotel room is gorgeous. Your experience with the Hong Kong airport reminded me of my recent one in DFW. I was thankful I left a decent window to get through its slow security and then to my gate.

Your bathroom story reminded me of what happened to my husband on our ABD. He is a type II diabetic and needs to use the restroom frequently in the morning. He took forever in using the public restroom at one of our stops, and I had to yell out that he wasn't on the bus yet as we were getting ready to leave.

My recollection is that we went straight to the DDC restaurant. I think it was one of the places where our itinerary and the book didn't line up. Hope your soap box made it home safely--DD's broke :(

The soap dish is absolutely beautiful, and that hotel room is gorgeous. Your experience with the Hong Kong airport reminded me of my recent one in DFW. I was thankful I left a decent window to get through its slow security and then to my gate.

Your bathroom story reminded me of what happened to my husband on our ABD. He is a type II diabetic and needs to use the restroom frequently in the morning. He took forever in using the public restroom at one of our stops, and I had to yell out that he wasn't on the bus yet as we were getting ready to leave.
Thanks. I thought they were both pretty nice, also. And I totally empathize with your hubby. Type 2 diabetes is one of my health challenges, also. I was traveling solo, and I guess it was just too early in the trip for anyone to notice I wasn't with the group. And I don't think it was that long, anyways. But all's well that ends well, I guess! :)

My recollection is that we went straight to the DDC restaurant. I think it was one of the places where our itinerary and the book didn't line up. Hope your soap box made it home safely--DD's broke :(
That was my recollection, too. I think it was circumstances as much as anything. But there was definitely no room for an "afternoon OYO in Beijing". My soap box did make it home OK. The photo was taken on my kitchen counter. I'm so sorry to hear about DD's. :( Is it beyond repair?

Sayhello

Tobi - what sorts of other dishes did they bring out at Duck de Chine. Were they dishes Americans think of as Chinese food or totally different?

Laurie

Tobi - what sorts of other dishes did they bring out at Duck de Chine. Were they dishes Americans think of as Chinese food or totally different?

Laurie
They were a lot of dishes Americans would think of as Chinese. Although I seem to remember there were some different combinations. But not a lot of breaded/fried things. A lot of vegetables. Most everything seemed to be sauteed in some way. You can see several of the dishes in this photo.

IMG_0194.jpg

Sayhello

I'm so sorry to hear about DD's. :( Is it beyond repair?

Sayhello

Yes, sadly. When we were packing to come home from Shanghai she noticed it, so it didn't even make it back across the Pacific.

Laurie, I'll echo SayHello--some different and some familiar. That's pretty much how it was at every restaurant. Always something new to try if you were inclined, but plenty of old favorites as well. I loved all the different greens (dry cooked green beans and napa cabbage were always favorites) the pork buns/dumplings, friend rice, etc. but I really tried to taste everything that came in front of us. The kids did as well--definitely part of the experience.

SayHello!

I am in Alaska right now and ABD Guide Robyn said to say, "Hi!" We are both excited to hear more about your China experience!

I wonder if it's the same "Robyn" who led our ABD Alaska in July, 2011? If so, tell her "hello" from Karen and Michael!! She is fantastic (assuming this is the same person).

I wonder if it's the same "Robyn" who led our ABD Alaska in July, 2011? If so, tell her "hello" from Karen and Michael!! She is fantastic (assuming this is the same person).
I'm pretty sure it's her. :) She's been doing the Alaska trip for a long time. (Although I had her for the ABD Mediterranean Magic cruise add-on in 2010.) She *is* fantastic! Studied to be an animator!

Sayhello

I'm really interested in this trip - thank you for doing a review! :D

Seems like it really was sufficient time for HK DL which is surprising... it seemed like not nearly enough time but if crowds are so low... :scratchin

Sorry! Just got back from the trip last week and am behind in my Dis-ing! Yes, I am sure it is the same Robyn. She will likely be in Alaska all summer (unless she's called somewhere else last minute). She's terrific. She's also been a guide in China. After our Alaska ABD, we are solidly on the ABD bandwagon and will likely do this trip Summer 2019.

Thanks for the report and comments. I can't wait to hear more!

@sayhello, thanks for this - we're doing the trip later in the month. Other than the welcome and farewell dinners any other times you'd want to be a little less casual?

@sayhello, thanks for this - we're doing the trip later in the month. Other than the welcome and farewell dinners any other times you'd want to be a little less casual?
A lot of us dressed up a little bit for the dumpling dinner at Din Tai Fung followed by the ERA show. The Guides took nice family & group shots on the stairs at the Penninsula that night before we went to dinner.

DSCN0933.jpg

Some people dressed up a little for the face changing opera, too. And LOTS of people wore outfits more than once!

Sayhello

I'm loving this trip report! I don't have much else to say, I just wanted to tell you that I'm avidly following, reading, and feasting my eyes on the photos. Hong Kong DL is NOT high on my priority list (though I do want to visit every Disney park at some point) but Mystic Manor has always been a favourite of mine and I can't wait to ride it. If only it'd been in Tokyo instead (which is much much higher on the list!) I know you talked a little bit about it but what did you think of the park? And did you get to visit the Shanghai one at some point?

I'm loving this trip report! I don't have much else to say, I just wanted to tell you that I'm avidly following, reading, and feasting my eyes on the photos. Hong Kong DL is NOT high on my priority list (though I do want to visit every Disney park at some point) but Mystic Manor has always been a favourite of mine and I can't wait to ride it. If only it'd been in Tokyo instead (which is much much higher on the list!) I know you talked a little bit about it but what did you think of the park? And did you get to visit the Shanghai one at some point?
Thanks! I'm so glad you're enjoying following along! The next part should be up today or tomorrow! :)

I really can't comment too much about Hong Kong Disneyland, because it was so disgustingly hot & humid there, I just didn't enjoy it much. It's SMALL. Seriously small, and yet kind of difficult to get around. That probably would get better with familiarity. It does feel nicely Disney-ish, although the theme-ing is not as good as, say, Disneyland Paris. It's definitely worth visiting (and Mystic Manor is great!) but I honestly have no desire to return there. Again, you really have to take into account how much the weather colors my perceptions... I don't ever go to DisneyWorld in the summer.

And yes, we did go to Shanghai Disneyland at the end of the trip. I'll have details on that eventually. :)

Sayhello

Thanks! I'm so glad you're enjoying following along! The next part should be up today or tomorrow! :)

I really can't comment too much about Hong Kong Disneyland, because it was so disgustingly hot & humid there, I just didn't enjoy it much. It's SMALL. Seriously small, and yet kind of difficult to get around. That probably would get better with familiarity. It does feel nicely Disney-ish, although the theme-ing is not as good as, say, Disneyland Paris. It's definitely worth visiting (and Mystic Manor is great!) but I honestly have no desire to return there. Again, you really have to take into account how much the weather colors my perceptions... I don't ever go to DisneyWorld in the summer.

And yes, we did go to Shanghai Disneyland at the end of the trip. I'll have details on that eventually. :)

Sayhello

Did you feel like the summer hurt your ability to enjoy the trip overall in all locations? The only time we can go to China is the summer due to kids' schedules, and I just don't know if I'm up for the heat. Interested to hear your take on that.

Did you feel like the summer hurt your ability to enjoy the trip overall in all locations? The only time we can go to China is the summer due to kids' schedules, and I just don't know if I'm up for the heat. Interested to hear your take on that.
No, I didn't. There were several other days that were quite warm, but I don't feel like that spoiled my enjoyment of those days. The Guides had gotten us these little electric fans, and they really, really helped. I wish I'd had one in Hong Kong! I really think the only days it really was so bad that it hurt my enjoyment was that afternoon in Hong Kong Disneyland and the couple of hours we spent shopping for white elephant gifts in Yangshuo after the Li River cruise. The cruise was fine, but that time in Yangshuo - melting! It was warm enough that I (and most of the others) spent most our OYO time at the hotels, just cooling off, swimming, etc.

I would say that most of the trip was no hotter than it was on my Danube River cruise last year.

Sayhello

No, I didn't. There were several other days that were quite warm, but I don't feel like that spoiled my enjoyment of those days. The Guides had gotten us these little electric fans, and they really, really helped. I wish I'd had one in Hong Kong! I really think the only days it really was so bad that it hurt my enjoyment was that afternoon in Hong Kong Disneyland and the couple of hours we spent shopping for white elephant gifts in Yangshuo after the Li River cruise. The cruise was fine, but that time in Yangshuo - melting! It was warm enough that I (and most of the others) spent most our OYO time at the hotels, just cooling off, swimming, etc.

I would say that most of the trip was no hotter than it was on my Danube River cruise last year.

Sayhello

Good to know. I had been assuming that a summer China trip = too hot, too crowded and too polluted. But may be worth considering...

And no, I would never plan a trip to WDW in the summer. ;)

Good to know. I had been assuming that a summer China trip = too hot, too crowded and too polluted. But may be worth considering...

And no, I would never plan a trip to WDW in the summer. ;)
It's certainly not my favorite weather - I'd've rather gone when it was cooler. But it was not bad enough for me to wish I hadn't gone. Now, I was there the beginning of June. I cannot vouch for other times of the summer! :) For me, I only noticed some issues from the pollution in Shanghai.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter