Trip Report! ABD Danube River Cruise w/Prague Add-on !!UPDATED!! 9/17/17 Re-posted all the Photos!!

Just updating to say I've finally re-hosted all of the pictures for this report from the extortionist Photobucket to imgur. I just *HATED* seeing my reports with that ugly, ugly notification that photobucket was holding my photos for ransom... I'm still looking for somewhere to rehost the videos; videos on imgur don't seem to work here. So I'll get those replaced soon.

I'm slowly going to go through all my reports and do this.

I'm sorry for people who have been looking for reports on this cruise, and what you found was no photos!!

I *WILL* get the Prague extension done in the not *too* distant future. But I have to finish my China report first!!

Sayhello

Thank you for doing this! I am so mad at Photobucket for causing issues with all the previously posted trip reports. There are so many reports now with sad little error message where the photos should be.

Redoing the photos in a report you had already completed is really going above and beyond.

Thank you for doing this! I am so mad at Photobucket for causing issues with all the previously posted trip reports. There are so many reports now with sad little error message where the photos should be.

Redoing the photos in a report you had already completed is really going above and beyond.
I'm with you. I'm furious. Not only my own Reports, but other people's that I want to see the pictures and can't. My reports just feel unfinished. I know people do occasionally go back & read my old reports, so I want them to look good, and inspire folks to take these trips. It takes a while to replace the photos, but it's worth it to me. I can hardly wait until I've done them all, and can delete my Photobucket account.

Sayhello

Are you asking about the ABD add-on, or Prague in general? :) I'm happy to answer either or both & any questions you might have!

Sayhello
We're going to have 2 full days in Prague (not-ABD--they're not offering it). So any recommendations to help us would be great! We keeping making the list longer and need to get it shorter.

We're going to have 2 full days in Prague (not-ABD--they're not offering it). So any recommendations to help us would be great! We keeping making the list longer and need to get it shorter.
My first suggestion is, if you want to check out the old Jewish Quarter in Prague, which I *hear* is fascinating (they have a museum there, plus lots of interesting buildings), do NOT plan to go there on a Saturday. It's the Sabbath, and everything is closed. I can't believe that didn't occur to me when I had planned to spend part of my non-ABD post-day there.

For my non-ABD post-day, I did a Historical walking tour of Prague with the Naked Tour Guide (no, they weren't actually naked! :) ) It was a very fascinating tour.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...iews-The_Naked_Tour_Guide-Prague_Bohemia.html

The tour also took us up to Letná Park, where the ginormous Metronome is. There are great views from up there, and there was also an area where you could purchase beers, and sit and drink and look out over the city.

So, of course, you must include the Old Towne Square. It's pretty bustling, and can be crowded, but the buildings are old & cool, and the Astrological Clock is there. Prague Castle is also worth doing, along with St. Vitus' Cathedral.

If you are interested in beautiful glassware, there is a shop on the Old Town Square named "Moser" that has a wide range of beautiful Bavarian glass. I was too nervous to purchase actual glasses (I was afraid they'd break, and they wanted twice the price of the glasses to ship!). So I ended up buying a very cool glass horse that was sturdily made, and survived just fine. :)

The ABD add-on did a riverboat ride on the Vltava, and that was very pleasant. Seeing all the buildings and the Charles Bridge from the water was a different perspective. It's not a very long cruise, because the river is dammed not that far beyond the Charles Bridge, so it turns around & does some back-tracking. But I really enjoyed it.

The Charles Bridge is very cool, but it was SO jam-packed with tourists that I couldn't really enjoy it for long. There were folks selling crafts (local folks only allowed, so it wasn't touristy junk).

Oh, and one night I had dinner at a really beautiful historic Art Deco restaurant called the Cafe Imperial, in the Hotel Imperial. @kristilew recommended it. :) Apparently the beautifully tiled mosaic walls and ceiling were covered over by the owner, and protected during WWII. They're magnificent. The cafe serves delicious traditional Czech dishes. Well worth checking it out!

Depending on how you're getting to Prague, I can highly recommend stopping at Český Krumlov. It's a charming little Medieval town, wonderful history and great little shops. I bought a hand-painted leather wallet there that I use daily, and it reminds me of that trip every time I use it. :) They have a place there with *fabulous* gingerbread, too (It's right across from the entrance to the castle).

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Sayhello

Last edited:

I’m not sure what this sculpture is supposed to be, but it’s cool.

AaBxJWo.jpg

I know the answer to this!! We got to see both this and the woman in stone in a cliff he is looking at.

https://www.salzburg.info/en/travel-info/infos/sphaera-woman-in-the-rock-stephan-balkenhol_az_14766

Oh, wow! Cool! Thanks for that. :) Is the Woman in the Rock up on the cliffs under the Castle?

To be honest I don't remember because it was such a whirlwind of things to look at. I just remember being told to look up at the woman carved into the cliff and being told the guy on the gold globe was looking for her!

The Jewish Quarter is a must. Very moving. We walked the Charles Bridge a few times - go at different times of the day - really neat in the evening. We were lucky and it wasn't crowded when we walked it, so we spent a lot of time looking at the statues. We enjoyed a horse and buggy ride around the city - gave a nice perspective. I LOVED St. Vitus Cathedral - more than Notre Dame in Paris!! We also found the tiny church that houses the original statue of The Infant of Prague. As a devout Catholic, this was one of the most moving experiences for me.
Eat at one of the open air cafes on the Old Town Square. You really get the energy of the city.
We really enjoyed our two pre days in Prague before our Central Europe ABD.

It really is a beautiful ship. And as far as the 2 restaurants are concerned, yes, the one in the middle of the ship with the tables and booths is the main dining room. The one at the end of the ship has a lovely view, and is the specialty "Chef's Table" restaurant. Everybody gets one dinner at the Chef's Table included (no up charge). You just have to book it for whatever night you want it. It's very small, so you need to book early to get the day you want. They do a tasting menu there with a set menu. Very yummy!

Sayhello
Sayhello,
Do you need to book the chefs table before the cruise or once you get on board? Thanks!

Sayhello,
Do you need to book the chefs table before the cruise or once you get on board? Thanks!
You book it once on board. I don't think you can book it before the cruise. The earlier you book it, the more choices of dates you'll have. There's enough nights for everyone to get to eat there, but if you wait too long, you may not be able to choose the night you prefer.

Sayhello

This was such a wonderful trip report. We are doing this trip in 2020 and it was really helpful for us to see all of the sites and excursions. I hope you write about your trip extension in Prague.

This was such a wonderful trip report. We are doing this trip in 2020 and it was really helpful for us to see all of the sites and excursions. I hope you write about your trip extension in Prague.
Thanks! So glad you enjoyed it. It's a wonderful trip. I *do* plan to write about the Prague extension at some point! Still posting Iceland!

Loved reading this, thanks for reposting the pics! Off to read your other TRs..
Thanks! :) Eventually I'll repost all the pics, because I'm already tired of Photobucket's HUGE watermark. At least they put the pictures back. But these are on imgur, and I like that much better.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!