Trip Report: 05/12-17/2019

Princess Madeleine

Mouseketeer
Finally got back into my routine at home and decided to give impressions of my first trip to TDR.

Background:

Trip participants were my sister and myself, both under 25s from the US. I've attempted a Disney World trip every year since getting a corporate job after college, but my sister hadn't been to a Disney park since middle school. We needed to make this trip work on a budget and, other than flights, I found this to be a pretty cheap getaway.

We spent 4 days in the park and 1.5 days in Tokyo.

Transportation:

Highly recommend Singapore Airlines. It really felt about as luxurious as I can imagine an economy seat ever becoming. I would recommend spending the extra $10-15 a seat and getting the priority economy seating since that space is a little quieter.

We purchased Suica cards in advance on Voyagin and picked them up at the airport. It was very easy to find the redemption counter and use the cards for city trains.

We got 4-day monorail passes for our park days, which were well worth the price. We did notice on the monorail that if we left our hotel to arrive at the parks an hour before park open, the trains were pretty quiet and plenty of seating was open. However, if we left to get to the parks right at opening, we'd get to the station right at the same time as kids going to school. Everyone was respectful of others so it was never uncomfortable, but it did get crowded.

Hotel:

Stayed at Hilton Tokyo Bay for the whole trip, and we actually ended up getting upgraded to a Celebrio bay view room for free since they had overbooked the lower priced rooms. That view was breathtaking in the mornings as we were on the top floor. The room itself was spacious and fit our needs perfectly.

We got breakfast every morning at the grab and go place, but didn't eat anywhere else at the hotel. The pastry case had a nice balance of Japanese and Western items; our favorite was the curry bread.

Parks:

Everything you've heard about the friendliness and cleanliness is true, so I won't go into that too hard. I did have some random impressions that may be helpful to those in the planning stages.

I did expect Toy Story to have a ridiculous fast pass line, but it still surprised me when I got there. We arrived at the park over an hour before opening on a low crowd and rainy day, walked over as quickly as we could after entering, and fastpasses were already going for 2:00pm when we got there.

Buffeterias are my favorite dining style. We usually tried to sit down at one around 11:30 and we only needed popcorn and small snacks for the rest of the day.

Speaking of popcorn, I didn't find a flavor I didn't fall in love with. We tried curry, Chinese chili, soy sauce & butter, strawberry, and honey.

As for rides, I forced us to take about 5 turns on Sindbad because Chandu is the cutest. My wallet was thankful that the amount of Chandu merch was limited. My sister loved Hunny Hunt and Journey to the Center of the Earth. Both of us came off of Space Mountain happy (instead of the usual "thankful we made it out alive" feeling we always get in Florida lol). I must say that I did miss being able to grab fastpasses on the app, as walking all the way across the park did hamper our use of fastpass. However, we went on light crowd days so we rode basically everything anyway.

Merch was very unique on the whole, and usually wasn't terribly expensive.

It was odd to me (in a good way) that cast members seemed to light up when we waved at them and said a quick "ohayo gozaimasu" or "konban wa". Very nice touch by the park staff to make it a magical trip, and even a tiny amount of Japanese language skills went a long way.

Can't think of much else to highlight at this time. Thanks fellow DIS-ers for all of your input over the last few months, this was a fantastic experience and I can't wait to go back!

Thanks for your trip report... great job

Where did you eat, and what was your favorite restaurant?

I'm just curious what did you do in Tokyo for a day and a half?

Thanks for your trip report... great job

Where did you eat, and what was your favorite restaurant?

I'm just curious what did you do in Tokyo for a day and a half?
I believe all the major meals we had were at Great American Waffle Co., Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall, Casbah Food Court, Horizon Bay Restaurant (Buffeteria side), and we grabbed hot dogs from the place in World Bazaar one night right before the night parade. Casbah probably had my favorite tasting food and Queen of Hearts was the best themed restaurant. Those two would be on a short list to visit on my next trip, I would probably wait on the others for a subsequent trip so I could try new places (but I would still definitely return to a of them). Otherwise, we bought snacks we liked the look of as we ran across them walking around.

As for Tokyo, we mostly hung around Harajuku and Shibuya shopping and wandering around. We did visit Meiji Jingu in Harajuku which was absolutely gorgeous, and ate ramen at Ichiran. The half day was mostly dedicated to me running around looking for something Ghibli related for my husband, since he decided to cause a little pain by not wanting a souvenir from Disney.

for Tokyo, we mostly hung around Harajuku and Shibuya shopping and wandering around. We did visit Meiji Jingu in Harajuku which was absolutely gorgeous, and ate ramen at Ichiran. The half day was mostly dedicated to me running around looking for something Ghibli related for my husband, since he decided to cause a little pain by not wanting a souvenir from Disney.

How easy was it to get the trains? Did you have to take just one train or multi to get to Harajuku or Shibuya?

How easy was it to get the trains? Did you have to take just one train or multi to get to Harajuku or Shibuya?
Including walking, it takes about 50 min to an hour from TDR to Shibuya. You need to transfer twice. Harajuku and Shibuya are pretty close. We walked from Harajuku to our hotel in Shibuya. We used Google Map App to help us with public transit routes to our destinations. It gives various train/bus options and the number of stops en route. I used it before the trip to determine travel time and distance from one place to the next. This helped me decide my itinerary for each day.

Have fun planning!

Updated:
If you take JR trains, it takes about 10-15 min longer in time but you only have to change train once.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter