Trip Prep Advice?

himandher818

Mouseketeer
DW and I are getting ready for our trip in late August, and it will be our first trip towing our TT down to Disney. So I am seeking some advice on planning the trip there and back from all y’all here with experience towing, trip prep, things needed, and the routes to the Fort.

First off, it’s not our first trip Disney, not even our first trip in August, and it’s not even our first trip to the Fort, just our first trip in the TT. This will also be the first time towing more than 60 miles one way.

These are some of things we are thinking about in our planning. Any advice, comments, criticism is welcome.

We are leaving from a campground NE of Atlanta and the trip will be 480-520 miles depending on the route. We are thinking of either taking two days for this and stopping for the night around the GA/FL line, or just going straight through all in one go like we do without towing. I figure more stops for gas, and going 60-65 mph instead of 70-75 mph it will take us longer than we are used to. I am estimating this to take us 10 hours towing, and budgeting for 12 hours. It normally takes us less than 8 hours without towing, but I always budget 10 hours. Would the 10 hours, but budget for 12 hours, from a bit north of Atlanta be correct, and is that something I should even be thinking of doing all at once?

We are considering both a route that takes us through Atlanta, and one that is about 40 miles longer that takes us around Atlanta, but we go through small towns, county roads and state highways until Macon. If we take two days to do this we will be leaving about 10-11am on a Friday, if we do it in one then we will be leaving at about 8-9am on Saturday. I am familiar with Atlanta and its traffic. The way around it is new to me. So when towing a TT is it generally better to stay on the freeway and deal with any traffic, or to use smaller roads and go through the small towns?

When not towing we usually take I-75 to the turnpike just south of Ocala, then get off at Hwy 27, down to 192, and take 192 to World Drive. Google maps is suggesting turnpike to 429, to Western Way, to Buena Vista, to World Drive. I am thinking the 429 route would be better even with the extra tolls because of the construction on 27 (assuming it is still ongoing) and the crazy tourist traffic 192. But the crazy tourist traffic on Buena Vista is going to be just as bad.Which way does everyone tend to go?

I am also planning the fuel stops for the first time on Disney trip. I am planning on at least 8 mpg on 23 gallon tank, so stops about every 160 miles or less. I am partial to Pilot/Flying J since I get a 5-cent discount with Sam Club, and they tend to be more trailer friendly than a lot of other small gas stations. Love’s and TA’s also may not be as tight as small gas stations. How should I determine a good place to stop? Is 8 mpg a good minimum or should I be estimating higher? The trips I have been on are short and I have not paid much attention to mpg, and probably would not be very relevant to a long trip anyway.

Oh, I am towing a 5000lb 19ft hybrid with a 5.0L F-150.

The 2 days sounds like a good plan if you aren't used to towing longer distances (more than 60 miles). Your truck/trailer combo sounds like a good match. If you really stick to 60-65 mph, you should do better than 8 mpg. There aren't many hills once you get south of Atlanta/Macon. I would think you could get 10 mpg at least. With a 23 gallon tank, you are still looking at stopping every 3 hours or so.

I don't know if an extra 40 miles is worth it to avoid ATL, especially if it means small towns and stops. If I knew ATL traffic was even worse than normal, I'd consider it though.

As for 429, that is how I normally come in. Once under the Disney arches, traffic is going to be what it is. Good thing is it generally keeps moving.

j

When we owned out TT it was 25ft and towed with a 1500 Chevy, we averaged 6.5 to 7mpg. I would calculate at 7 to 8mpg, if you get better than that, then so be it, a bonus. But it is not so much the weight as the aerodynamics of the brick you are towing.
Flying J/Pilot have RV fueling lanes, just be careful, some are not so friendly as they are to the side of the regular pumps and leaving you have to turn into the main refueling area. I would plan your stops, look up the flying J locations, and then I used to check them with google earth to see if I liked the layout.
With our new truck, I just use the truck lanes. Well I even did that with our 3500.
And as far as how far to drive, that is up to how far you feel comfortable. I can do 11 hour days, but a 6 to 8 hours day is better.

Last edited:
I will not touch the subjects of mileage or routing as I have no experience with the areas you are looking at. What I will say has to do with your anticipated travel time. For your first time doing a longer than usual trip adding an extra day is a good idea. When we took the car we did trip (Dover Delaware to FtW 971 miles) in non stop marathon drive. Left home at 1am arrived 7pm stopping only for gas 3 times, to eat once, and once to hit an outlet mall for an hour. The next day we were shot Next time spread over 2 days and happier we did.
Now we have a class A motorhome and 1 driver. Add to that we now take the Kids (our dogs now age 2 ) and we spread that out to 3 days. I find that 6 to 8 hours on the road (300 to 400 miles) works well for everyone. We arrive at planned CG's while it is still light out, plenty of time to take the Girls to Bark Park ( Need this as our little one believes it is a capitol offense and I will be executed if I see her go while on a leash ), do our min. set-up ie level and hook up to water and electric, have a decent dinner ( DW makes a tray of Lasagna for first 2 travel nights ) and hit the rack early enough to get an early start the next day
I have personally found it a good idea to plan on adding 25 to 30 % to estimated travel time provided by the various trip planning tools out there. They give times based on ideal conditions and not consider things like traffic or weather conditions, potty breaks, or food stops. All of which come into play

We travel from northeast Kentucky and prefer the I75 route to Disney as compared to the WVa Turnpike to I 95 and then to I 4 even with the turnpike route being about 30 minutes shorter. We have pulled our TT thru Atlanta in the morning, at 5 in the evening (this was not planned) and several times after 9 PM and later. IMHO, Atlanta is not bad if you get in the lane you need (the lanes are marked well with the route signs painted in the lanes), maintain your safe and comfortable speed and avoid making lane changes if possible. Once you pass Atlanta, the remainder of the drive to Disney should be smooth sailing. We also like coming in on Western Way. As far as the Florida Turnpike, I would recommend a Sun Pass as this allows you to maintain speed (albeit a slower speed) thru the toll plazas. Otherwise, you will need to stop at each booth, pay the toll and then merge back into traffic that is traveling at speed. I found this to be somewhat nerve wracking so we purchased the pass. Well worth it.

I would also recommend using Google Maps to get an aerial view of the gas stations you may plan on using. Getting caught in a RV unfriendly travel plaza can really put a damper on things. You can also Google search gas stations with RV fueling lanes on the routes you are traveling.

Steve

We drive (and I say loosely we, it’s more like DH), 2 days to Disney and one day back, we are coming from Marietta (RV stored there live in Atl). We have a class a and tow a vehicle. I really don’t like going more than 8 hours and prefer 6. We base it on light, since it’s August, we would drive to Ocala, and stay overnight at Ocala Sun Resort. Then it’s 1.5 hours, via 429, to Disney. This way we get in and can maximize our day rather than get in late. Plus getting to the fort after dark does not sound fun to me and we go a lot, but the campground is dark. We tend to get an early start pulling out to go home and are not as concerned about the light but still try to get to Marietta by 5, we leave by 8am, all hooked up and really heading out of the fort.

Kris don't sell yourself short Now as a full card carrying member of the Anaheim, Azusa and Cucamonga Sewing Circle Book Review and Timing Association inducted by no less the current sitting Little Old Lady From Pasadena you'll be driving your for longer stretches in no time.

Everyone, thank you for help.

The 2 days sounds like a good plan

a 6 to 8 hours day is better

6 to 8 hours on the road (300 to 400 miles) works well for everyone

2 days to Disney and one day back, we are coming from Marietta

It seems like the two-day plan is advised. It also has the advantage of getting to the fort earlier in the day and a possible dinner ADR at Trail’s End. :woohoo:
And taking two days back means maybe a brunch as we leave. I was afraid I was going to have to leave on this trip without my Mickey waffle before the drive home. :D

We base it on light, since it’s August, we would drive to Ocala, and stay overnight at Ocala Sun Resort

So, I’ll plan about 300 miles the first day, and then finish on the last. That will take me to GA/FL line. I have seen Eagle’s Roost suggested here. Maybe I could go all the way to Ocala, or somewhere in between. I’m sure there is a campground or two somewhere between the FL line and Ocala.

you should do better than 8 mpg

I would calculate at 7 to 8mpg

To be on the safe side I am going to plan my fuel stops every 150 miles, and if I’m not empty then that means less to fill up.

As for travel trough or around Atlanta, I think I’ll plan to go through but may change if hear on the radio of a tractor-trailer hauling cows overturned and blocking all lanes on I-75 in McDonough.

I have personally found it a good idea to plan on adding 25 to 30 % to estimated travel time provided by the various trip planning tools out there

That comes out close to what I use for mostly Freeway travel. I was estimating that every 50 miles of the trip will take 1 hour. Yours maybe more accurate.

I would plan your stops, look up the flying J locations, and then I used to check them with google earth to see if I liked the layout

would also recommend using Google Maps to get an aerial view of the gas stations you may plan on using

What should I be looking for? I have been just looking to see if the distance getting in and out of pump area looks wide, and easy entrance/exit.

As far as the Florida Turnpike, I would recommend a Sun Pass

I was actually considering getting a GA Peach Pass. The Peach Pass and Sun Pass are both usable in GA and FL. The trying to merge back in has never been problem with car, but I imagine it will be with the TT. I will take your suggestion and go ahead and get a Peach Pass.

@himandher818
What should I be looking for? I have been just looking to see if the distance getting in and out of pump area looks wide, and easy entrance/exit.
On the Google maps, what you are looking at is good. You might also want to look at how you will enter the station off of the main road. Having an idea of the layout of the station will help you plan on your approach as you exit the main roadway.

I was actually considering getting a GA Peach Pass. The Peach Pass and Sun Pass are both usable in GA and FL. The trying to merge back in has never been problem with car, but I imagine it will be with the TT. I will take your suggestion and go ahead and get a Peach Pass.
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 I think you will like it. It will save you a little bit of time not having to stop, pay, and then get rolling again into moving traffic.

There is a campground right at the GA/FL line, St Marys/Jacksonville North KOA, we have stayed there, nice for an overnight stay and about 4 hours or so to the Fort.

Stayed at eagles roost a lot. Basically when we go to Disney in winter and don’t have light as long. It’s about 3.5 hours from eagles roost to Disney. I really like it for overnight, clean bathrooms, level sights, grocery and food nearby. Usually we wait to get out and see how things are going we either hit eagles roost or if making good time and have light go to Ocala sun.

We tow a 31 ft TT with an F350 diesel, averaging 450-500 miles per day on our longer treks and around 10-13 mpg. We keep it to around 60-62 mph (mainly due to tire ratings) and we've found that for most routes if we use an average of 50mph to calculate travel times it gives us a good 'drive time' estimate. The 50 factors in fueling and potty stops (for us and the dog). We always add in an extra travel day 'just in case' which really paid off when we had truck trouble once outside Salt Lake City that 'blew' a whole day's worth of miles for us.

We're driving from No Calif and we boondock at truck stops, so can't help you with your routes. We've plotted 7 days from here to the Fort, but figure (Good Lord willin' and the crick don't rise) it'll take 6. At least, that's how it worked last time.

Break it up with one stop for sure, I-75 is three lanes of terror according to the DW. I have pulled the 5th wheel down it many times and now the motorhome. Just be patient and stay over to the right. As for using 429 please do. It only has one toll and its usually not very busy plus you can see WDW in the distance from the top of many of the hills as you go toward the turn off. No where near the amount of stress of going down I-4. Good luck.....

There is a campground right at the GA/FL line, St Marys/Jacksonville North KOA
I don't think that will work for me this time, I'm looking for something on the I75 side. But if I ever go around Atlanta via Savanna then I keep that in mind. Which actually may be an idea sometime. Spend a day or two in Savanna before heading down to the Fort, sounds like something I may try.

I think I have decided on stopping at Eagle's Roost on the way down. We normally stop at the Flying J at exit 2 to gas up before getting to FL, so this seems kinda like the ideal spot to stop for a night. This leaves us with about 4 hours to Disney basing it on the 50 miles in a hour on a trip. Maybe a bit longer considering the slower travel as I get closer to the Fort. Do I need to a reservation at Eagles Roost, or just call as we get close, or just show up?

429 does seem like the path, there is no way I would try I4. It's almost as bad as Atlanta. So I'll try 429 to Western Way to Buena Vista to World Drive.

32 days to go... I may start a trip report for this.

I travel about 1100 miles from just west of Chicago. For the last couple trips, I have stayed at the KOA Southwest Orlando the day before check-in. It gives me peace of mind that I have actually made it. It's about 20 minutes to the Fort. That gives me time to go to Super Walmart and fill the refrigerator and relax before moving to the Fort rested the next day. If something comes up on the route, I'm only out the $50 per night instead of $200. I usually run straight through Atlanta, but at off hours, not rush hour. One year on the way home from the Fort, I hit a pot hole with my conversion van and pop-up in Northern Indiana. I was only 2.5 hours from home, but 4 in the morning with a broken front rim and big bulge on the back tire. Had to wait until stores opened at 8:00 to get a used tire to get home. This last year heading to Macon to pick up a friends pontoon boat he bought, a semi lost it's load North of Chattanooga. Everybody was sent to local roads and the trucks that really wanted to crept up back roads to Mont Eagle at 0-5 mph. That was another 3 hours lost. Being close, but not at the Fort is ok with me for a day, while I then move just a bit to stay at the Fort for two weeks.

We will be towing a 30 ' TT the beginning of August from NJ. Previously we drove a class C. We will take 2 days, stopping at a campground in South Carolina. I have a 7:00 PM ADR for Trail's End when we arrive :banana:.

We live just northwest of ATL, and we routinely make the day trip down to the Fort (usually 5-6 times a year). When we had a tow-behind, it would take us 8-9 hours (figuring in food/fuel/flush stops with the kids). With the new motorhome, we average 60-65 MPH, 7-9 MPG and about 8 hours (the stops are fewer and farther between due to having facilities and food available onboard).

Dividing the trip into two days is fine, but one leisurely day is actually quite doable (even at the lower speeds).

We will take 2 days, stopping at a campground in South Carolina

We live just northwest of ATL, and we routinely make the day trip down to the Fort (usually 5-6 times a year). When we had a tow-behind, it would take us 8-9 hours

Well if SC to the fort can be done in one leg, and NW of ATL can be done in one leg, then it seems after a few trips I may try it in one. I'm just a bit north of you jdpeagle in Cartersville, but we're leaving this time from a campground in Cumming, just off 400. I'm gonna do it in two parts this time until I get my sea legs (or towing legs). FWphanatic, I have a 7:45 ADR for TE when we arrive.:thumbsup2

People think I go to Disney too much at 3-4 a year, 5-6 has me beat! But going to Disney too much is like having too much money. Can't happen.:)

Himandher818 You asked about making a reservations for eagles Roost. My recommendation as you are traveling in late AUG ( Not sure about school sched. down that way) I would make one. This will be your first trip towing long distance and you never know how things will end up. If you find it works well for you you have a place to keep for future trips. Once you have done it, you will know if you can push on further or need to cut back. Just my opinion mind you. GARBESKA has some experience with Eagles Roost and is likely a better source of information on that specific CG.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter