Trip planning for late 2020

skellinton

DIS Veteran
So, I will be booking a trip in late 2020 and haven’t been in so long I need some advice on the most budget friendly time to go.
We do have some flexibility on dates, but we would like to be there for Christmas hoopla. I am paying for my grandkids (there first visit), their parents are paying for themselves. We would be using the dining plan just because if works best for us, we want the kids to have character meals and it is just easier for us to have it all paid for ahead of time. We would stay at the Pop with two rooms because budget is very important and the sky buckets look amazing!

We have only gone before with free dining, but it was always late September. We can’t go then because my soon will be deployed for one year and will have just gotten home. We want him to have some time to decompress and just be home before going on such a big trip,

Lower crowds would be a plus as well, may as well dream big, right???

What dates would you all think will garner the best discount for us?

Thanks, looking forward to spending some time scouring the boards, I don’t check when I don’t have a trip planned because it just depresses me. So excited to have a trip on the horizon!!

Thanksgiving 2020 is November 26, so I would say the first two weeks of December may work out for you. However, the Pop Warner National championship is usually in that time frame, so you may find values hard to find when that is going on. Crowds are generally not too bad during the first few weeks of December, but the park hours are not great either. Magic Kingdom in particular closes early (6 pm) for the Christmas party 3-5 times per week. Enjoy planning!

We have only gone before with free dining, but it was always late September. We can’t go then because my soon will be deployed for one year and will have just gotten home. We want him to have some time to decompress and just be home before going on such a big trip,

Two things first:
1. Free dining will probably not be offered for much of the fall next year at all, so even late Sept might not have helped you.
2. If your son is active military, there are discounts available to him that can extend to the rest of you. Even if you are paying, it doesn't hurt to use his discounts. The heavily discounted Salute tickets and room discounts have not been announced for 2020, and there's always a chance they won't be, but keep an eye out for that announcement to see if they will help you with the budget.

Now for a look at what weeks might be best. I like Your First Visit's breakdown of both crowds and value. Here is 2020's:
https://**************.net/2019/01/26/2020-weeks-to-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-in-order/

Thank you both. I told our Disney planner my son was in the military and she never mentioned the discount, I will have to look into that.

Also, depending on your son's rank (cost goes by rank), Shades of Green Resort may be an option for your stay. You should look into that, but definitely go for the tickets, they are sold to active and retired military at a huge discount. And thank your son for his service !

Thank you both. I told our Disney planner my son was in the military and she never mentioned the discount, I will have to look into that.

Look up mousesavers as it has lots of things about discounts and talks about military discounts. It also has historical listing of discounts as well to give you an idea (although your sons discount will almost guaranteed be the best on rooms and tickets).

As for the dates look up crowd calendars and it will give you an idea. When looking at week just make sure to place it properly against 2020 holidays. Example if you see the week after Thanksgiving this year make sure you are looking at booking 2020 the week after Thanksgiving.

Is your son going to deploy again? One thing you might look at is right after MLK in 2021? It can be slower and gives you extra time after your son returns just incase he stays in country slightly longer.

Thank you for your help, hoping to find a Disney planner with military experience.

We could travel in January, but really want to be there for the holiday season. We should be fine for timing, but will purchase trip insurance just in case.

We loved going the first week of Dec this year {6-12} It was so magical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter