Trip months away but Air Canada changed our flights

They did that to my sister on her return trip.

So now instead of a direct flight from Ottawa to Orlando (leaving Ottawa at 7:50AM and arriving at around 11:40AM) if I want to leave on our original morning we have to go through a connection. Ottawa to Montreal to Orlando - plus we leave Ottawa at 5:45AM. Ugggg! I'm not impressed. I thought for once I could leave at a little more decent hour - but nope.

That same change happened to me in 2016 but they moved us from Sunday to Saturday (right after the American Thanksgiving). Fortunately I was able to get our hotel reservation bumped forward a day so it all worked out. Hopefully yours will too.

It looks like they have done away with all but one direct flight to Orlando from Ottawa. Sunday seems to be the only day you can get a direct flight after October 31. Doesn't make any sense. The flight is always full when I've been on it. I guess we just need to let them know by flying with other airlines until they bring it back. (doesn't solve your immediate situation)

Last edited:
So now instead of a direct flight from Ottawa to Orlando (leaving Ottawa at 7:50AM and arriving at around 11:40AM) if I want to leave on our original morning we have to go through a connection. Ottawa to Montreal to Orlando - plus we leave Ottawa at 5:45AM. Ugggg! I'm not impressed. I thought for once I could leave at a little more decent hour - but nope.

Yeah we would have to go thru Toronto now to get to MCO at a decent hour

That same change happened to me in 2016 but they moved us from Sunday to Saturday (right after the American Thanksgiving). Fortunately I was able to get our hotel reservation bumped forward a day so it all worked out. Hopefully yours will too.

It looks like they have done away with all but one direct flight to Orlando from Ottawa. Sunday seems to be the only day you can get a direct flight after October 31. Doesn't make any sense. The flight is always full when I've been on it. I guess we just need to let them know by flying with other airlines until they bring it back. (doesn't solve your immediate situation)

Same with Halifax. Only 1 direct flight per week in the fall

So far my August flights seem ok. But I did notice they have changed their flight pattern to FLL and MCO, I'm watching for December flights to get an idea for 2020 on when to book and how much it will cost. They have done away with their direct flight and changed times on the ones that remain. Sadly WestJet doesn't fly direct Ottawa to FLL any more.

On the plus side. WestJet seems to fly direct Ottawa-Orlando Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays over the winter months. I'm not stuck to one airline. I'll take whichever one gets me there directly.

On the plus side. WestJet seems to fly direct Ottawa-Orlando Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays over the winter months. I'm not stuck to one airline. I'll take whichever one gets me there directly.

Why don't any of them fly direct back to Ottawa? It puzzles me that I can usually fly direct down there from Ottawa, but never the other way around.

They all have direct flights back. If you're talking about using Airmiles, I have found that I sometimes have to book 2 one-way trips to get the direct flight home again. It costs $15 booking fee more but it's worth it.

When you buy a ticket, you're essentially entering into a contract. If YOU decide to make changes, they have a right to penalize you with change fees and such because you're altering a binding contract. Since THEY made the change without consulting you, you could try taking the approach that they broke the contract and that they need to work with you to replace that original contract with one that is as similar as possible - and/or reimburse you a portion of the airfare (much like they would charge you a fee). The entire conversation needs to be done very civilly, though - you can't be accusatory or argumentative. Make your case for why it's essentially a contract, that they made alterations, those alterations are not acceptable to you as is, and they now need to make corrections.

I've had this happen in the past and ended up getting a non-refundable fare completely refunded because they made the change with zero warning or consultation.

Or, you could go the alternate route and have them send you up in a Max plane. :)

They all have direct flights back. If you're talking about using Airmiles, I have found that I sometimes have to book 2 one-way trips to get the direct flight home again. It costs $15 booking fee more but it's worth it.

No airmiles, I have just literally never been able to find a non-stop flight back from Orlando to Ottawa. So strange.

I just flew back from orlando direct to ottawa on saturday with AC,though my booking was through United using my mileage plus points.Was scheduled for 12:30 pm but we actually took off at 1.Nice 2hr and 45 minute flight back home.

No airmiles, I have just literally never been able to find a non-stop flight back from Orlando to Ottawa. So strange.
WestJet direct back to Ottawa is often really late, like getting back after midnight. But I do find them more limited than AC, normally. looks like this fall that will change a bit. I wish there were more though, twice a day would be nice lol. But I guess there aren't enough people!

I still find it funny last year after a cruise we flew direct back to Ottawa from FLL, and there were people waiting for the flight who were connecting to Toronto... it was so strange to me.

The flight can book up quickly. It used to be a 2x2 plane. Starting November when they cut out the extra day it's a 3x3 plane. I find I can always get the flight if I pay cash but I usually book 6-8 months out minimum.

Instead of telling them on the phone that such and such an afternoon or such and such an evening won't work, have you tried first hand picking flights that would work and then asking for a re-change after they made you an involuntary change? But do not agree to pay more.

Not with air canada, ht since we live about an hour away from the airpor5, we always have to b3 up by 1:30 to get everyone up dressed and out the door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!