Trip Insurance

b0m5jgr

Mouseketeer
Hi to everyone, have a question about trip insurance, should you cover your entire trip cost or just the non-refundable amount. Thanks

We do cost of cruise and plane tickets.

Basically, that's the majority of the trip.

(I'm not sure what else you would add on!)

The reason I was asking is about trip cancellation which the way I read it the non-refundable cost is only covered unless I misunderstand it. And I'm not sure about trip interruption, is the entire cost of your cruise covered or is it the same only the non-refundable amount.

Trip cancellation will only cover non-refundable cost. The insurance is not going to reimburse you for funds you are able to recoup from the vendor directly (no double-dipping for reimbursement). So if you cancel 74 days prior to the cruise (with PIF at 75), you can be refunded all but the deposit (20%); closer to the embarkation date, a larger percentage is lost upon cancelling. I suppose you could constantly update your insurance to be just the non-refundable amount, but that would make for several changes.

Trip interruption is different, as it will cover actual expenses incurred due to the interruption. "Interruption" means something that occurs during your scheduled vacation - might be flight delays, injury/illness, etc. - that "interrupts" your vacation plans. Expenses might be hotel, meals, air or ground transportation, etc. It's actual expenses incurred, and has nothing to do with refundable cruise fare. Though by the time you got to the point that your trip was interrupted, the cruise fare would be non-refundable anyway.

Because we purchase our insurance early for pre-existing waiver, we technically don't have any "non-refundable" costs at that point but we do list the full amount of the cruise, then add the airfare later. Ironically, the only non-refundable amount at the time insurance is initially purchased is actually the insurance premium.

Enjoy your cruise!

If you had to cancel cruise on day of sailing because of an emergency, 100% of cruise is non-refundable. Get insurance for entire cost of cruise.

Can I add on to this question, if you’re doing a land portion, such as Disneyland, would you add the hotel(s) and park tickets to your total to be covered?

If you can't cancel the hotel and tickets, then I'd add that to the insurance total.

Otherwise, if something happens, you would end up eating the cost of the tickets.

Last summer we very nearly had to cancel our trip to Hawaii. We didn't have travel insurance and were looking into eating about 5k in airline tickets. (We had a sick kid who was throwing up for 3 days, up until the night before we left.) People think of insurance as for emergencies on the cruise (broken leg, etc.), but even simple illness can cancel a trip.

Can I add on to this question, if you’re doing a land portion, such as Disneyland, would you add the hotel(s) and park tickets to your total to be covered?
You might as well. Chances are the land portion won't significantly add to the cost of the insurance, but you'll be covered for the entire trip. Not just the cost of hotel/air/tickets, but medical, trip interruption, delays, etc.

If you book insurance through DCL, then it is ONLY covering the non-refundable portion of your cruise. If you buy travel insurance through a 3rd party (like I always do), then it can cover ALL non-refundable parts of your trip- airfare, hotels, car rentals, excursions, the cruise, etc. When we booked our cruise our TA told me that Disney's insurance was $600 JUST FOR OUR CRUISE (value: $8300). I had our travel insurance company quote me for a $10,000 trip (which I think will cover our cruise, hotel the night before, and possibly airline tickets, if we decide to fly versus drive), and they told me $300. Even if we need to add additional insurance up to 11-12k, I think we are still well below Disney's $600 quote, and it covers all aspects of our trip. Plus, with my husband's job, I always buy the "Cancel Anytime" policy, which has to be purchased within 7-30 days of your initial payment towards the trip, and that type of policy is more expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter