Trip Insurance for DVC rental

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Anyone buy Travel Insurance for DVC rental? Anyone ever had to file a claim? Please, share your knowledge.

I just booked our first DVC Rental directly with the owner. I did have to pay it all up front buy she did have a personal guarantee in her contract that if something comes up she will do what she can to transfer the points and get our money back. I liked that so I am still deciding whether or not to get insurance.

I just booked our first DVC Rental directly with the owner. I did have to pay it all up front buy she did have a personal guarantee in her contract that if something comes up she will do what she can to transfer the points and get our money back. I liked that so I am still deciding whether or not to get insurance.

Be aware "do what she can" may mean "she can't do anything at all. Points expire. And if you need to reschedule your vacation, the end of the year is nearly all booked up from September to mid January already. If you cancel, she'd need to find someone to rerent those points, before they expire, and where there is availability. Get trip insurance - you will find "do what she can" to be a very limited contract guarantee.

@twoolle I second what crisi said. The owner that you're dealing with is well-intentioned but canceling at any point inside of 30-days of your arrival puts her points in holding and restricts her ability to make another reservation. She may or may not be able to re-rent your reservation and if she can, it might be for much less than she would have gotten had she rented to someone else, and not you, at the time that she offered her points up for rent.

There are other issues that could also influence her ability to make a new reservation for you even if you are more than 30 days away from arrival. It has to do with the way DVC operates but in a nutshell, those points that were used for your reservation have a finite life. If your reservation is toward the end of their lifetime and there are no villas available to use them on, they will just expire. The owner should not be on the hook for your need to cancel. That's why they collect their full fee upfront when the reservation is confirmed.

Find an agency that will cover timeshare rentals and buy a policy.

@twoolle I second what crisi said. The owner that you're dealing with is well-intentioned but canceling at any point inside of 30-days of your arrival puts her points in holding and restricts her ability to make another reservation. She may or may not be able to re-rent your reservation and if she can, it might be for much less than she would have gotten had she rented to someone else, and not you, at the time that she offered her points up for rent.

There are other issues that could also influence her ability to make a new reservation for you even if you are more than 30 days away from arrival. It has to do with the way DVC operates but in a nutshell, those points that were used for your reservation have a finite life. If your reservation is toward the end of their lifetime and there are no villas available to use them on, they will just expire. The owner should not be on the hook for your need to cancel. That's why they collect their full fee upfront when the reservation is confirmed.

Find an agency that will cover timeshare rentals and buy a policy.

This was said very well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts