Trip in Progress Aug 13-26th

Dockside

Earning My Ears
Just taking some down time this evening.

We are staying at Pop Century in one of the refurbished rooms (80's building). The refurbished rooms are amazing. We are a family of 4. Two adults and two Disney adults (13 & 16). We are park people so don't spend a ton of time in the room. But the refurbished room is great. Two Queen sized beds works great. Much of our luggage is under the bed and the place is really workable. Lots of plugs and lots of cupboards and shelves to store things. If you can grab a refurbished room, I would highly recommend.

We also were offered the $15/night to forego mousekeeping. We decided to give it a try. This is working really well for us. We actually prefer not to have someone come in everyday. Seems pretty easy to get new towels and toilet paper/soap, etc. For us the $170 gift card is a great bonus.

We are also doing free dining. We are Canadian so got the slightly earlier free dining dates (August 13th). The Quick Service dining plan works for the way we like to do the parks. The food court in Pop is okay, but Art of Animation food court is much better. A lot more variety. It take us 5-10 minutes to walk over to AoA and have some dinner (when we aren't in the parks).

We also took advantage of the free dining Bouceback offer for 2018 (which became available earlier this week). Very easy to book. I worry that Disney will change the Quick Service dining plan when free dining is announced in April 2018. Last year they changed Moderates to the QS plan. I worry that Disney will change the free dining at Value resorts to perhaps just 1 QS meal/day. So taking advantage of the Bouceback for next year means we are locked in for 2 QS meals + 2 snacks for Pop next year.

On Tuesday (August 15), we went to Magic Kingdom. We had an 8am BoG breakfast. Was out of breakfast around 8:40 and were held adjacent to 7DMT. Around 8:50 we were moved to the stand by line at 7DMT and held. Extra morning magic was on Tuesday morning. So I guess they were continuing to let EMM people in. Around 8:55 they let us and we walked on 7DMT. So that was great. I wasn't sure what EMM was going to do to us and wait times at 7DMT. When we got off 7DMT around 9:05, the rope drop crowd had arrived and the wait times were over 60 minutes, so we headed off to do other rides.

We did Animal Kingdom today (Thursday August 17th). We were at the park around 7:20 am. We were basically second in line. I took all the bags and the rest of the family went to the no bags line. They opened the security check point at around 8:00am. Then they let us through the turnstiles around 8:20. Even though we were about second in line at the turnstiles, we ended about 50 people back where they held us at the bridge to Pandora. We are brisk walkers but people were running to get to Pandora. Around 8:45, they started to walk us to Pandora. We went to FoP and got there around 8:55. The ride might have been glitching because we were stuck on the "banshee" for a while. We got out at 9:15 and there was about a 40 minute wait at Navi (FoP had a 220 minute posted wait at 9:15, so if you aren't there prior to rope drop I would pick some other ride in the morning). We got in line at Navi. It was actually about a 30 minute wait. Then we went off to Everest with about a 25 minute wait. All in all a great day. If we hadn't gotten held up slightly at FoP, probably could have done Navi and Everest with lower wait times.

We are booked for the August 25th MNSSHP. So we will be going the first night. I will update with details of that party. Starting to see Halloween merchandise in Magic Kingdom, but obviously, the exclusive stuff won't be out until the party.

Awesome first couple of days! I am happy to hear the new POP rooms are great. They look so cute! I am another Canadian and am leaving Monday to spend 8 days at my favourite place on earth (on my own as my three teens didn't want to come this trip). I am going to MNSSHP on the 25th as well and am so excited about it! What are you guys going as? I am dressing up as the Blue Fairy. :)

Excited to find another "live" report to pass the time. Thanks for sharing! One more week. I'll be at AK while you are at MNSSHP! :)

An update to my original post. While staying a Pop, we headed over for dinner at Art of Animation. We are on the dining plan and have the refillable mug. We were able to easily substitute a snack for the drink on the QS meal at AoA. I had heard several reports on the disboards that you couldn't do this.

We are Disney bounding for the MNSSHP. Going as marvel characters. Really looking forward to it.

I am keeping my eye out on some storms brewing out in the Atlantic. One looks like it could track towards Florida middle/late this week. Although it is too early to tell and conditions seem mixed as to whether it will be able to form into a tropical storm or not. The track may also take it away from Florida so no use worrying yet, but fingers crossed for a somewhat dry MNSSHP.

We also were offered the $15/night to forego mousekeeping. We decided to give it a try. This is working really well for us. We actually prefer not to have someone come in everyday. Seems pretty easy to get new towels and toilet paper/soap, etc. For us the $170 gift card is a great bonus.

Were you offered this when you checked in? Just wondering, I have done pre-check in for our upcoming trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter