Trip / Hotel Options

NKHarris329

Mouseketeer
Next we we are traveling with my MIL and she will likely need an ECV. She has medical concerns that will prevent her from walking long distances and tends to tire easily. I've been to Disney a number of times, but have been lucky enough not to need to consider mobility issues before.

We will either get a 2 bedroom suite or two hotel (hopefully adjoining) rooms, and want to be in close proximity to MK or EP. Would like to say at or below $700 a night and open to DVC rental but not experienced with it.

Option 1 - We only rent ECV while at the parks. This will require a smaller hotel, or a hotel with rooms centrally located to transportation, restaurants and activities. More expensive ECV rental, but fewer concerns for transportation. (IE concerns with driving on buses, ability to use Lyft/Uber/Minnie Vans)

Option 2 - We rent an ECV for the duration of the stay so she has it at parks and hotel. Less concerns about proximity of hotel room to transportation amenities, less expensive ECV rental, more potential for limitations with transportation (she would not likely be comfortable traveling solo, not comfortable with driving ECV onto bus). How does this work for resorts with multiple bus stops?
We can be flexible and I'm definitely open to suggestions if there is something I'm not thinking about. TIA!

Hi! Welcome to our little corner of the DIS! :)

First of all, how many (total) in your travel party - and are any of the children? (thinking of options with bunk beds)

Next, will there be an adult who won't be scared to drive the ECV on/off the buses? Your Mom doesn't have to be the one who drives/parks the ECV when it comes to the bus, so don't worry about that.

Finally, just FYI, you can "cash rent" any DVC room that Disney shows as available at the time of your reservation - either via the website, or by calling Disney. We stay at DVC Resorts often, even though I steadfastly refuse to buy points. (don't judge me! LOL) Don't let that stop you from considering a DVC Resort - they are all wonderful.

There are some interesting options; Have you considered a Family Suite at AOA or ASMusic, or the Cabins?

Consider this post (from @POOHsie)(lightly edited by me): I have an ECV and stayed at a handicap Cabin last year. The handicap Cabins are mostly all on the 2800 Loop or the 2500 Loop, very close to the front of the resort. 2800 Loop has 70 Cabins. First you have to exit your cabin, walk to the Loop Road exit, to get to the bus stop. After a rain, the road will have puddles. You'll get on an Internal FtW bus that only takes you to the Outpost Depot where you grab a park bus, or the Settlement Depot where you get the boat to MK. So there's transfers involved in your park visits & etc. The Cabin has only 1 bathroom but it has room to maneuver a WC. You can get tub or roll-in shower. The Bedroom has one double and a bunk bed. The living room has a Murphy bed (double). Laundry is down by the quiet pool at the 2500 loop, so a bit of a walk (or bus). Regular Cabin is 504 sq.ft, Handicap cabin is 18" wider (for accessibility) and has ramp entry to outdoor deck. Pic below shows regular Cabin.

ftw-regular-cabin-jpg.121102

(The yellow area is the outside deck; HA Cabins have a ramp + stairs). Cabins have a full kitchen, consisting of full-size (residential) fridge, 2 burner stove top, full size sink, dishwasher and convection microwave oven.

For similar money you might seriously consider Art of Animation Family Suites. They are new construction, interior corridors, about the size of 2 Value rooms put together, so they have 2 bathrooms, plus a small kitchenette (microwave + small fridge). The sleeping arrangements would be Queen bed in 1 room, sofa-bed (double), and "Magic" Murphy bed (double), which is the dining table when bed is folded up. 565 sq.ft. Bus service would be easier than FtW Cabins, as you only need to take a park bus (no internal bus). Plus there's a food court and gift shop without requiring transportation. Pic below shows regular Family Suite.

aoa-family-suite-floor-plan-6-121-jpg.121103

The All Star Music resort has 192 Family Suites. These are actual conversions from 2 Value rooms. Entry is outside. One "former" room has a Queen bed, kitchenette and bathroom. The other "former" room has a sofa-bed (double), chair-bed (single) and bathroom, plus small table & 2 chairs. ASMu Family Suites are priced less $ than AoA suites. 520 sq.ft. Bus service would be much easier than FtW Cabins, as you only need to take a park bus (no internal bus). Plus there's a food court and gift shop without requiring transportation.Pic below shows regular Family Suite.

all-star-music-family-suite_-jpg.121104

(end of Poohsie's post)

There are TONS more options around WDW - and with your budget, I think you could even maybe do something interesting like the Treehouses at SSR!

Let your Mom know that the bus drivers (and boat captains, and Monorail CMs) at WDW will all be glad to help get her ECV on and off the vehicle safely, so don't worry about that. We have *tons* of info for first time ECV drivers around here! :)

Oops... I thought I put that info. There will be 5 people in total. 3 adults and two children (5 and 8 at time of travel). My husband and I can drive the ECV if needed, but she will also want to be able to do solo excursions (ie take a shopping day rather than a park day, leave early, etc). I think that after she gets used to operating an ECV this will be less of a concern.

That's great info on AOA and SAM suites. The two bathrooms thing would be amazing which is one reason we were considering two rooms. I think the multiple busses at FTW is going to make the husband balk... with the ECV and two kids young enough to want to be carried but big enough to need to walk he isn't going to bus switch.

Thanks so much. :)

Just want to second either a suite or dvc with a living area. When we took my grandparents years ago having a common space was nice to congregate, and we weren't kicking anyone out of sleeping space (some of us are more into afternoon naps than others lol). That was before my dad was in a chair, now it's usually just me and my parents but having the common area and a separate sleep space for him is great, it does require a bit more floor space. This way we don't feel crowded into a regular hotel room and enjoy room time more.

Depending on how quick/easily she tires, rent an ecv offsite. It's not just the walk to the rooms, sometimes it's a hike to get to a scooter, and it's never guaranteed in a park. The transit CMs have all been great with my dad, it's super easy with his chair and he can't transfer at all. Just watch the ramps. Plus keep in mind it's never a sure thing to get a seat on a bus or boat at peak hours, and that's a lot of standing or a long wait. As far as going solo, my dad had those fears at first but in two days was so much more confident. The bus drivers are all great with directing people in our experience, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Happy planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!