Trip Cancellation :-(

Couldn't let this go unnoticed - SO cool that you were going to run that race. You must have trained really hard. Sucks that you have to pay the registration again, but good luck next year!

Thanks--it is so disappointing! I was plagued with injury early on and have only seriously trained the last 4 weeks. It was going to be my 5th star and London was going to be my final star this April. Now they are reversed (provided London doesn't cancel!) and I will get number 6 in Tokyo 2021.

I was supposed to be leaving for Tokyo tomorrow and keep thinking that today was my final pack day. Friday was going to be my DisneySea day. To make myself feel better I booked a 2 night trip with my youngest son (he doesn't know) next week for WDW.

I'm so sorry you had to cancel. Another upside to delaying your trip: Once this is all over, prices for travel-related products will likely drop to entice new bookings. I've received promos from JTB for $398 f/t airfare from Hawaii. Another perk could be lower crowds as the tourism industry recovers. I have some friends in Kyoto right now and they said it's a ghost town.

In November, I booked a non-refundable room at the Sheraton for the wrong date. They allowed me to modify the reservation and move it to the correct night. If Hilton won't allow you to cancel outright, you can try asking them to move the reservation to a different date and location.

We had to cancel our trip for mid-March. We're super bummed. Luckily we got refunded our airfare and I was able to cancel my TDR vacation package for a full refund. I am losing money on some nonrefundable tickets adding up to a few hundred dollars. Hopefully, 2021 will be our year to finally make it there.

We had to cancel our trip for mid-March. We're super bummed. Luckily we got refunded our airfare and I was able to cancel my TDR vacation package for a full refund. I am losing money on some nonrefundable tickets adding up to a few hundred dollars. Hopefully, 2021 will be our year to finally make it there.

Did you have trip insurance on the airfare or did the airline allow you to cancel? We called this morning and Delta is not issuing refunds at this time. We're just going to wait it out and see if they will in the coming weeks as we are supposed to be leaving March 28th.

Did you have trip insurance on the airfare or did the airline allow you to cancel? We called this morning and Delta is not issuing refunds at this time. We're just going to wait it out and see if they will in the coming weeks as we are supposed to be leaving March 28th.
We're flying Delta for our June trip. Of course nothing is applicable to us yet, but I'm trying to keep an eye on things. I'm a little surprised Delta isn't doing anything for your March 28th trip, but there's nothing official on the site yet, so I guess that makes sense. Maybe they'll let you change destinations? But of course you never know where this virus will end up affecting a lot of people. Who was expecting northern Italy to be a problem already?

We're flying Delta for our June trip. Of course nothing is applicable to us yet, but I'm trying to keep an eye on things. I'm a little surprised Delta isn't doing anything for your March 28th trip, but there's nothing official on the site yet, so I guess that makes sense. Maybe they'll let you change destinations? But of course you never know where this virus will end up affecting a lot of people. Who was expecting northern Italy to be a problem already?

I was surprised too, especially with the news that CDC increased to level 2. The customer service agent I talked to said to keep calling weekly, he sounded pretty confident that they're going to start making exceptions soon. The flights are the biggest investment we've made on this trip so I'm really hoping we can get the points/money we used to book them refunded. I'm fine being out a couple hundred dollars on the other things we have already booked.

I inquired about changing destinations. Delta is holding to their usual policy - $300 pp plus any difference in fare 😟 We will wait it out until the eleventh hour and then most likely pay the change fee if they don't start doing refunds. I think we are pretty set on not going, which is a huge bummer as we've had this booked since last May.

We got really lucky with the airline refunds. My tickets were through Singapore Airlines and they made an exception for us on a waiver of all fees because we were going to be traveling with kids. It was a big relief because I didn't buy any travel insurance except for what I get through my credit card. I'm usually really good about travel insurance and this was the one time I skimped.

My trip is donezo as well. I had a meeting with my boss today about other stuff so I decided to remind him about the trip and reiterate that it’s Japan, but that it’s very likely I won’t go. He said that if I go I gotta do a 2-week quarantine after, understandable. I would be scared to death of infecting my coworkers as it is. So that’s the nail in the coffin. Gonna wait to cancel flight and hotel at least until I hear from kbmartin about how she did getting a refund or the CDC goes to a level 3 warning, whichever’s first.

We got a full refund from Hilton! We called the Honors number tonight and explained the situation, stating that I have severe asthma and work in a school of over 2,000 children. The first person we spoke to couldn't get it done, even after talking to the hotel management. My DH firmly told them that he needed this to be escalated to a management contact immediately. It only took a few minutes of waiting, and we were connected with an upper level contact. My DH was "charming" (haha) and pleasant. He commiserated with the employee about slow technical restraints (her computer system was running slow). She said that getting the deposit back (which we made sure was considered "the full refund") will take 7-10 days and even waived a cancellation fee.

TLDR: Be firm with your first point of contact and be pleasant and charming with your second one!

Good luck!!!

We got a full refund from Hilton! We called the Honors number tonight and explained the situation, stating that I have severe asthma and work in a school of over 2,000 children. The first person we spoke to couldn't get it done, even after talking to the hotel management. My DH firmly told them that he needed this to be escalated to a management contact immediately. It only took a few minutes of waiting, and we were connected with an upper level contact. My DH was "charming" (haha) and pleasant. He commiserated with the employee about slow technical restraints (her computer system was running slow). She said that getting the deposit back (which we made sure was considered "the full refund") will take 7-10 days and even waived a cancellation fee.

TLDR: Be firm with your first point of contact and be pleasant and charming with your second one!

Good luck!!!
Thank you so very much!! I'm glad you were able to do it!! I'm still gonna wait a bit to do it, but this is great to hear. I certainly will post once I call Hilton and JAL.

Thank you so very much!! I'm glad you were able to do it!! I'm still gonna wait a bit to do it, but this is great to hear. I certainly will post once I call Hilton and JAL.

Yes, keep me updated! I really wish you the best of luck!

I was surprised too, especially with the news that CDC increased to level 2. The customer service agent I talked to said to keep calling weekly, he sounded pretty confident that they're going to start making exceptions soon. The flights are the biggest investment we've made on this trip so I'm really hoping we can get the points/money we used to book them refunded. I'm fine being out a couple hundred dollars on the other things we have already booked.

I inquired about changing destinations. Delta is holding to their usual policy - $300 pp plus any difference in fare 😟 We will wait it out until the eleventh hour and then most likely pay the change fee if they don't start doing refunds. I think we are pretty set on not going, which is a huge bummer as we've had this booked since last May.

Just an update that we have cancelled our trip. Delta waived the usual change fee for int'l travel so we are going to Mexico instead. Very bummed but also feeling like we made the right choice seeing as TDR just announced it will be closing for 2 weeks. Fingers crossed for everyone else in this situation!

Just an update that we have cancelled our trip. Delta waived the usual change fee for int'l travel so we are going to Mexico instead. Very bummed but also feeling like we made the right choice seeing as TDR just announced it will be closing for 2 weeks. Fingers crossed for everyone else in this situation!

Don't mean to scare you or anything but Mexico has cases of the virus now too.

We cancelled our trip as well. 😭 We were supposed to go the week of May 10th. United refunded our flights - we had booked one way as non-refundable and the return flight with miles.

We cancelled our trip as well. 😭 We were supposed to go the week of May 10th. United refunded our flights - we had booked one way as non-refundable and the return flight with miles.

United refunded your May flights? Without giving you a hard time?

Maybe I need to call them. Our flights to Tokyo are May 19 and 27th...

United refunded your May flights? Without giving you a hard time?

Maybe I need to call them. Our flights to Tokyo are May 19 and 27th...
Yes! No trouble at all. I was super surprised as there was nothing about Japan waivers yet on their website. I had just called to make sure I understood what the cancellation fees/change fees were, so I was surprised when he said he would be able to give me a full refund. Our flights were May 10 and May 17.

Been on hold with Hilton for over 2 hours now. The phone number posted on the reservation site was for Hilton Honors. Got in touch with a person there immediately and they transferred me to Advanced Purchase and been on hold with them for over two hours. If it becomes too late I have already drafted an email directly to Hilton Tokyo Bay.

Edit: Right after posting this, I got ahold of someone. "It's not her department" but she was able to get a case set up with the correct one. I am also sending a followup email to Hilton Tokyo Bay anyway.

Last edited:
Update: Got a very curt email from Hilton Tokyo Bay saying they aren't doing cancellations past April at this time. So I am on the phone right now with Hilton's Guest Assistance with my case number telling them that Tokyo Disney will be closed and asking them to escalate.

This is just absurd.

2AM this morning I received an email from Hilton corporate that all reservations through 4/30, including non-cancellable, would be refunded in full upon request.

6AM this morning I received an email from Hilton Tokyo Bay saying they would only do a credit towards a stay within a year.

I emailed them again with a link to the new policy and called corporate Guest Assistance and they are sending them an email with the new policy instructing them to cancel.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Despite a CORPORATE POLICY, I cannot cancel by their website (still says the reservation can't be changed or cancelled) or by their corporate phone. It must go through Tokyo Bay, which doesn't even know CORPORATE POLICY.

If they were going to be decent about cancelling, I would have rebooked for the eventual trip I'll be taking in the future. Because of this runaround, I will be booking at one of the Tokyo Disney hotels for more money. They have not only lost my stay for April, but they have lost any future stays. Nice work guys!

This is just absurd.

2AM this morning I received an email from Hilton corporate that all reservations through 4/30, including non-cancellable, would be refunded in full upon request.

6AM this morning I received an email from Hilton Tokyo Bay saying they would only do a credit towards a stay within a year.

I emailed them again with a link to the new policy and called corporate Guest Assistance and they are sending them an email with the new policy instructing them to cancel.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Despite a CORPORATE POLICY, I cannot cancel by their website (still says the reservation can't be changed or cancelled) or by their corporate phone. It must go through Tokyo Bay, which doesn't even know CORPORATE POLICY.

If they were going to be decent about cancelling, I would have rebooked for the eventual trip I'll be taking in the future. Because of this runaround, I will be booking at one of the Tokyo Disney hotels for more money. They have not only lost my stay for April, but they have lost any future stays. Nice work guys!

That's really awful but I'm sure it will work itself out. This situation is catching a lot of companies off guard and communication isn't happening as quickly as it should be.

Lesson learned: NEVER book a prepaid non refundable hotel stay. Never.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts