Tri Circle D Ranch

No. The campground is generally packed. There is an issue with throwaway sites, but I highly doubt it is more than a handful at a time. The campground is generally packed, especially during snowbird season, summer vacation, and any holiday weekend. Some weekdays occupancy drops outside of the snowbird season, but even then, it is still very, very high. Booking 499 days out is almost the rule if you have specific dates you want.

Edited to add this information is primarily about campsites. The cabins have significantly lower occupancy levels. That's why Disney removed one cabin loop for campsites in the last few years.

I'll second this. We constantly stalk FW for campsites as its my favorite place in the world to camp. Finally got one for a few nights in June. The place is always packed when we go, yet it's still very tranquil and amazing. I'm sad as I think it will be our last time due to this intrusion expansion taking over. I'm just glad we will be able to enjoy it as a family one last time.

The drawing shows 6 bus stops as well. One per park, disney springs and? DME? Usually magical express uses a different spot closer to check in, but I think the front desk is near the bus depot at this resort.

The drawing shows 6 bus stops as well. One per park, disney springs and? DME? Usually magical express uses a different spot closer to check in, but I think the front desk is near the bus depot at this resort.

With the proximity to Pioneer Hall, could it be for buses back to resorts after Hoop de Doo?

Hoop de doo doesn’t warrant its own buses.

There have been times after Hoop de Doo that buses are available to go directly to other resorts. It may just be after the late show when all the parks are closed, which would make it difficult to get back to another resort.

I thought that was due to throw-away rooms, and from what I've read now, to get early entry to SWGE. ;)

Well there's that and the fact that they haven't expanded the Fort (other than some in-fill) since the mid 70s....

And the Boomers have been retiring and continue to get their RV or TT and hit the road and visit the Fort.

So there's that. :rolleyes:

Bama Ed

Well there's that and the fact that they haven't expanded the Fort (other than some in-fill) since the mid 70s....

And the Boomers have been retiring and continue to get their RV or TT and hit the road and visit the Fort.

So there's that. :rolleyes:

Bama Ed

The Fort was expanded in the 80s. But yeah, the point holds.

There have been times after Hoop de Doo that buses are available to go directly to other resorts. It may just be after the late show when all the parks are closed, which would make it difficult to get back to another resort.
We went to the first show in Jan and they had them then. I haven't ever been when they didn't have direct buses back after Hoop Dee Doo, no matter which show it was.

I suppose there could be an internal shuttle similar to other resorts, perhaps linking the fort, reflections and wilderness lodge as a loop. 6 bus stops just seems interesting.

Maybe they are just getting ready for the 5th gate.:rolleyes1:joker:

I suppose there could be an internal shuttle similar to other resorts, perhaps linking the fort, reflections and wilderness lodge as a loop. 6 bus stops just seems interesting.

Maybe they are just getting ready for the 5th gate.:rolleyes1:joker:
I don't know about the 5th gate . . . no bus driver has mentioned it.

Hoop de doo doesn’t warrant its own buses.
While it might not seem to warrant it, There has been buses available in the past for guests leaving HDDR. I know, I drove that route many times. We used to enter the back road from WL to the back of the Fort. Same road the TTC-WL-FW shuttle took (which was usually running at night after MK closed.

The Fort was expanded in the 80s. But yeah, the point holds.

Well yeah the point holds. But all the campsite loops 100-2100 were built by 1976 was my point. Disney had some rental campers on some of them then built the cabin loops in the 80s.

I've often agitated for a Fort expansion across Vista Boulevard from the entrance to Fort Wilderness. When Disneyland Paris was originally built, they only built a cabin style Fort-Wilderness-type-of-resort called Camp Davey Crockett a few miles away. For single level (not multiple story building) there will never be more campsites. Not enough revenue density. That's why a DVC multi-story building is much more attractive.

Bama Ed

Well yeah the point holds. But all the campsite loops 100-2100 were built by 1976 was my point. Disney had some rental campers on some of them then built the cabin loops in the 80s.

I've often agitated for a Fort expansion across Vista Boulevard from the entrance to Fort Wilderness. When Disneyland Paris was originally built, they only built a cabin style Fort-Wilderness-type-of-resort called Camp Davey Crockett a few miles away. For single level (not multiple story building) there will never be more campsites. Not enough revenue density. That's why a DVC multi-story building is much more attractive.

Bama Ed
Plus campers bring their own food, buy fewer park days per day on site, and generally are lower revenue across the board. I've always thought The Fort was mismanaged and it cost revenue, but even if it was done the way I think it could, it still wouldn't be the revenue driver the other resorts are capable of being. So yeah, The Fort is a leftover and one whose days are probably numbered. Numbered very highly, but numbered nonetheless. I'd be surprised if The Fort celebrated a 75th anniversary.

Plus campers bring their own food, buy fewer park days per day on site, and generally are lower revenue across the board. I've always thought The Fort was mismanaged and it cost revenue, but even if it was done the way I think it could, it still wouldn't be the revenue driver the other resorts are capable of being. So yeah, The Fort is a leftover and one whose days are probably numbered. Numbered very highly, but numbered nonetheless. I'd be surprised if The Fort celebrated a 75th anniversary.
I wouldn't be surprised to see it last to 100+ simply because many of the people who stay here wouldn't go to Disney World if they didn't stay here and Disney wants their money too. These may be people who have a hard time dealing with dietary issues in the parks (yes, there are still some issues that aren't handled well) and they need to cook some of their own food or people who like the peace and quiet, etc.

What would be the draw then? To stay in an office building with a rather corny show close by? There are much nicer office buildings all across WDW and the HoopdeDo isn't hard to get to. Disney is steadily losing that hard to define ability to transport and to provide "show." Everything being the same isn't exactly interesting.

What would be the draw then? To stay in an office building with a rather corny show close by? There are much nicer office buildings all across WDW and the HoopdeDo isn't hard to get to. Disney is steadily losing that hard to define ability to transport and to provide "show." Everything being the same isn't exactly interesting.
I agree. I love The Fort. I am crushed by the monster being built next door. But the campground has been an unloved child for a while. And the more focus on profit, the less loved it will be. It just isn't as profitable as the other resorts.

Exactly why I despise this cloning of rides from one park to another. Give unique attractions at each park. I feel much the same way about merchandise as well.

Disney had some rental campers on some of them then built the cabin loops in the 80s.

Were the rental campers owned and operated by Disney? I know there are/were recommended rental companies.

Regarding the cabins, which are fantastic, I often wondered why there didn't build a few larger cabins (2 bedroom/2 bath without the bunks); I think there is a market for them.

hertamaniac,

I don't know if Disney owned them (leased? loaned?) but they were rented out by Disney (they stayed parked on certain sites/loops). In the early 70s there were a handful of Airstreams. But in the mid-late 70s those were replaced by many more Fleetwood travel trailers known as Terry Trailers. Sometime in the mid 80s the cabin loops were built and the Terry trailers were done away with and the first style of cabins called Wilderness Homes were placed. (which opened up more campsites since the Terry Trailers were no longer on them). Then the log cabins we know now replaced the Wilderness Homes starting in the late 90s (it was apparently a multi-year cycle to get all the WH changed out).

Now there are recommended companies for trailer rentals but non-recommended rental companies are used also by guests. The vendor-Disney side is not as cozy for the non-recommended but it certainly works.

I like the suggestion of a 2/2 cabin - maybe a double wide cabin that we could call, oh I don't know, what's the hot term Disney likes to use for the exclusive stand-alone accommodations? :scratchin

Oh yeah - Cabin Villas! :rotfl2:

Bama Ed

PS - or maybe we could call the 2/2's "Chalets".

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter