Trends that you hope will go away soon

My daughter just got 5 points taken off of a paper because she referred to Amelia Earhart as "she". Since my daughter never spoke to Amelia, her teacher wondered why she would be so "presumptuous" as to assume that is the pronoun Amelia preferred.

"Always go with 'they' until you speak with someone directly".

I really can't believe this is our world.

I'm all for learning to humor college professors who have power AND rather peculiar opinions about their subject, but this one crosses the line. Any instructor who tells a student to deliberately use incorrect grammar in an academic paper deserves to be burnt in effigy!

(And yes, I'm aware of the reason for it, and I still will not use it. I am an academic, but I refuse to use plural pronouns to refer to individuals. If I am told that X person prefers that pronoun, then I'm going to always refer to X by name.)

Lack of personal responsibility.
No one seems to take responsibility for anything anymore. Everything is because someone or something else caused it.

The inability of people to disagree with someone without resorting to name calling and personal shots.

Skinny jeans on a dude. That is not what is meant by getting into her pants.

People pretending to be offended by things. No one really cares so just sit down. Your not making anything better.

Gluten free. Just stop it. Celiac disease is certainly a real thing and is terrible. If you have celiac disease, this does not pertain to you. But no you don't have a gluten intolerance. 10 years ago you thought a gluten was the thing you sit on at the office.

Organic. The only thing organic means is containing carbon. Horse poop is organic. Diesel fuel is organic. Oh you eat organic vegetable? So does everyone as vegetables contain carbon thus making ALL veggies and fruits organic.

Oh, and any article that begins with the term "studies show". 90% of things that make this statement are garbage pseudoscience. Just because you do a study one time does not prove anything. You have to have repeat results. That's how science works. That's why medicines need multiple clinical trials before being approved (kind of).

My understanding is the country-of-origin part is hard to tease out because so much of our recycling is shipped to Asia for processing. So us using and discarding it fuels their plastic waste stream, on top of the waste they're generating on their own. And frankly, when I applaud local stores for incentivizing reusable bags or even eliminating them altogether, I'm not thinking about the Pacific Ocean. I'm thinking about the bags that wind up tangled in the reeds in the marsh down the road and the ones that wash up on our town's beach.

The way I see it is this: we know plastics are a problem, environmentally. Should it really matter if we can "only" solve 10 percent of the problem? Isn't that better than solving none of it? I do think it is a fad and I don't agree with some of the ways in which it is being acted on, but not all fads are inherently bad. And companies do good things all the time for PR or tax write-offs. The motivation doesn't make the action less valuable.
It isn't just that (and in fact, I am strongly against exporting any waste, particularly because Western countries are supposed to have the capacity and capability of processing the plastic waste themselves, not to mention that exporting it is taking unfair advantage of cheap Asian labour, which also links into the problem of ethical working conditions overseas), it's the fact their own domestic waste management systems are very poor, if not non-existent, and to make matters worse, population growth in those regions are outpacing any ability to properly contain their own waste.

As for bags that end up blowing around and getting caught in trees and whatnot, it's the fault of the person not bothering to reuse it for binliners or any other purpose, which the vast majority do since it saves money on having to purchase binliners, not to mention recycling companies not properly baling them or the consumer knotting the bag before it gets placed into the bag recycling bin, and the issue with phasing out lightweight bags is that it leads to increased waste from heavyweight alternatives, and even cheap Chinese-made synthetic cloth bags, which have a huge risk of shedding microplastic when disposed of into landfill waste, and are more likely to be thrown away due to their poor quality. In my country, and although reusing bags has become the norm for 3 years since our bag tax got completely phased in, most supermarkets have now phased out the thin vest bags, though there is now a growing issue with the heavyweight bags being used for trash, and the quality of some have degraded significantly that they're falling apart after even just 2 reuses, although supermarkets have a lifetime guarantee for them so customers can always get a free replacement if their reusable bag falls apart.

‘Ten ways you’re doing everything wrong!’ These lists range from how we’re putting makeup on wrong to how you are mispronouncing your own name. According to Facebook and other social media, nothing we do or say or eat or wear is right. :mad:

It’s been around long enough to probably not be considered a trend anymore but I would LOVE it if people would stop wearing their pants really low...like buckled around their thighs. I don’t need to see other people basically walking outside in their underwear.

Last edited:

It’s been around long enough to probably not be considered a trend anymore but I would LOVE it if people would stop wearing their pants really low...like buckled around their thighs. I don’t need to see other people basically walking outside in their underwear.
Had an interesting sight while out shopping recently. As we approached an intersection there was a car stalled in the middle of it. The guy driving got out, girl friend/wife slid over to steer and he started pushing the car to the other side of road. About 10 steps into the pushing, his pants were down below his shorts. He had to stop pushing, and hike up his pants or he was going to trip over them when they fell down...

Yeah, I don't need to see their underwear. There's a reason it's called UNDERwear.

According to Facebook and other social media, nothing we do or say or eat or wear is right. :mad:

Aaaand
while we're at it, everyone else on FB and Instagram seems to have more loving, supportive family members, more fun friends and a way more successful, exciting life. :rolleyes1

I think social media is probably behind more cases of depression these days than just about anything else.

No me! I’ve always said a Bloody Mary is a meal, so a piece of bacon and an olive adorned pickle just makes it a fuller more delicious meal. No need for breakfast or dinner.

I'm good with bacon & an olive. That's not really unusual. I'm talking about bacon, a piece of sausage, a boiled egg, & a piece of toast, etc. sticking out the top. Who doesn't want their toast on a stick soaked in Bloody Mary? :p If I'm going to have a full breakfast, I prefer it to be hot on a plate & accompanied with a Bloody Mary.

Last edited:
I wish political camps would take down their dang signs after the election. They should have 48 hours to take down all the signs or get fined. I hate them all over every corner!

MJ

I'll be more generous and give them until the end of this coming weekend to remove the signs. That should be enough time.

College professors who are teaching above their caliber. Also who do not grade required work until the last week of the semester, so you never know where you stand in the class.

Mystery ingredients added to plates not stated on the menu. I even specifically ask, "Is there anything served with it not listed on the menu" and then my meal comes out covered in cilantro (which tastes like soap) blue cheese crumbles (allergic) or some sort of mystery sauce. I ordered a slice of Key Lime pie, came out on a plate sitting in a puddle of carmel sauce, carmel does not go with Key Lime.

Aaaand while we're at it, everyone else on FB and Instagram seems to have more loving, supportive family members, more fun friends and a way more successful, exciting life. :rolleyes1

I think social media is probably behind more cases of depression these days than just about anything else.
Absolutely! I know someone who writes about how perfect everything is with them and you know them in real life and know what a train wreck their life really is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter