Travelling with 5 month old twins, help!!!

jeanico2000

DIS Veteran
Hello all: I am looking for transportation solutions that won't break the bank for a party of 3 adults with 5 month old twin babies travelling in November this year, as follows
- MCO airport to Walt Disney World resort
- Disney World to Universal Orlando
- Universal Orlando back to MCO airport
As only adults, we would normally use Uber or Lyft, but with infant twins added to the mix, I am already overwhelmed! We would consider a rental car, but what about car seats? At best, they're not easy to attach properly in the back seat of a car if we bring our own. If rented and we need 2, does the rental car company install them? I've also been told that availability with rental companies is never guaranteed.
So, what do you fabulous parents of 2 infants do?
Many thanks!

My daughter brought her own car seats on all flights, and then had them for the rentals and taxies/uber/lyft trips. They were never lap babies. The two were 13 months apart. She also wrangled a double stroller and for the airport had two hooks or fasteners that held the car seats to the stroller. Kids are 6 and 7 now. They flew from about 3 months on. The car seats were not their regular car seats but inexpensive and lighter ones purchased at Walmart but airline/FAA approved. When she traveled alone, someone (usually me) would go to the airport with her and help her all the way to the gate meaning getting permission to go through security.

Glad those days are over.

Highly recommend bringing your owns seats, especially if they will pop into their stroller?

I'd rent my own car to be totally honest. Just so much easier with the kids and gear!

Hello all: I am looking for transportation solutions that won't break the bank for a party of 3 adults with 5 month old twin babies travelling in November this year, as follows
- MCO airport to Walt Disney World resort
- Disney World to Universal Orlando
- Universal Orlando back to MCO airport
As only adults, we would normally use Uber or Lyft, but with infant twins added to the mix, I am already overwhelmed! We would consider a rental car, but what about car seats? At best, they're not easy to attach properly in the back seat of a car if we bring our own. If rented and we need 2, does the rental car company install them? I've also been told that availability with rental companies is never guaranteed.
So, what do you fabulous parents of 2 infants do?
Many thanks!
something to think about that you did not ask but will they be able to sit up in highchairs? most places at Disney did not use to have infant highchairs. without carseats and counting on ressies there will no place other than holding while eating. most table sevice places do not allow strollers and if they do stroller can not be in walkways or blocking next door table.

Here's some fun tidbits.
One- If lap riding on the airplane, only one lap rider is allowed per aisle.
Two- You need to check the FAA rules as to whether 2 car seats are allowed next to each other, I'm not sure about that. I know they have to be installed in the window so they are not in the way.
At 5 months old, my kids had outgrown the infant car seats, so we were using 5 points anyway.

I would buy seats on the plane and fly down with 5 pt restraints, and then book a car service. With that much gear, you'll want someone meeting you at luggage pickup. I'm pretty sure even when we booked a car service and used their car seats, my husband had to install them.

I have just one baby, not twins, but hate the idea of having to travel with a car seat with him. We've been traveling to Disney with him since he was 4 months. For getting to Disney, Mears Connect or Sunshine Flyer are the most economical - no car seat needed, but definitely not the most convenient (especially if you're used to uber/lyft). When we've gone from Disney to Universal, we just booked a private car service that would include car seats. We used Mears last time - definitely not the cheapest option (we went one way around $60), but not needing to bring our own car seat was a huge draw. Universal also has an airport shuttle - it's run by Mears, called Superstar Shuttle that can get you back to the airport. It was a similar cost to Mears Connect if I remember correctly.

It's very easy to put the rear facing infant car seats in random cars. It's easier than the boosters. You should fit in an Uber XL fine. You need the car seats anyway for the stroller, this seems like a non-issue. It's not like you can just throw a 5 month old in an umbrella stroller.

Even if you were doing lap infant (yikes!) you could gate check the car seats with the stroller. Or, you buckle the babies in with the car seat into the airplane seatbelt. Most (but not all) are approved for planes.

You just put the babies and the car seats on the stroller. I don't see what the big deal is or why an Uber wouldn't be fine.

Here's some fun tidbits.
One- If lap riding on the airplane, only one lap rider is allowed per aisle.
Two- You need to check the FAA rules as to whether 2 car seats are allowed next to each other, I'm not sure about that. I know they have to be installed in the window so they are not in the way.
At 5 months old, my kids had outgrown the infant car seats, so we were using 5 points anyway.

I would buy seats on the plane and fly down with 5 pt restraints, and then book a car service. With that much gear, you'll want someone meeting you at luggage pickup. I'm pretty sure even when we booked a car service and used their car seats, my husband had to install them.
it has been years since I saw this on a plane but the twins in carseats had to be in window and middle seats so mom was in aisle seat. she was not allowed to sit between them

It's very easy to put the rear facing infant car seats in random cars. It's easier than the boosters. You should fit in an Uber XL fine. You need the car seats anyway for the stroller, this seems like a non-issue. It's not like you can just throw a 5 month old in an umbrella stroller.

Even if you were doing lap infant (yikes!) you could gate check the car seats with the stroller. Or, you buckle the babies in with the car seat into the airplane seatbelt. Most (but not all) are approved for planes.

You just put the babies and the car seats on the stroller. I don't see what the big deal is or why an Uber wouldn't be fine.
You can definitely put 5 month olds in umbrella strollers with a recline. I have twins (plus 3 more) and never had a convertible stroller with car seats, and all of my singles and doubles reclined. With my twins I loved my double snap and go, just a frame for the infant seats Without the bulk of a convertible. I’d bring infant buckets which are easy to install without bases and use them on the plane.

I would book a car service that has car seats, or rent a car. I know 5 might not fit in a car, but would a mini van. I feel like that would probably be the most convenient! Then bring their car seats. If they are lap children on the plane, you can gate check the car seats that you bring from home.

We went with our twins but they were almost 3. We got pack and plays from the hotel. Where will yours be sleeping? Because that's something to think of too for when you get there! Also are you bringing a stroller from home? Make sure it fits the requirements if it is a side by side.

Bring your own car seats and get least one twin a seat in the plane and use the car seat there. It will free up your hands. Infant seats aren’t that hard to install baseless. Just look at your manual. Bring a snap and go stroller for the airport.

Bringing their own car seats is your best bet. I tried a rental car seat once and never again, it was old and not safe. Bucket seats are easy to install without a base especially for just a handful of rides. If you can, I'd recommend getting them seats and putting them in the bucket car seats on the plane, much easier than lap infants and then you don't have to worry about the airline destroying your car seats. They're also great for somewhere for a baby to nap while eating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter