Traveling without a car...but needing carseats

TheyCallMeStacey

Mouseketeer
So, we won't have a car this time around, but will need carseats. My son is still in a highback booster (7) and daughter is in a 5 point harness (5). I am unsure how to tackle this without using the minnie van option which seems really pricey. We will need transportation to and from the airport, and I am thinking that we will need 1 other trip to Disney Springs and then potentially an early trip to MK for EMM (i'm not sure resort transportation will be running early enough). We're staying at Swalphin this trip, if that makes a difference.

Just looking to see what's worked for others who have kiddos in seats, without renting a car.

If you want your kids in a safety seat at all times you pretty much have to rent a car. The Magical Express and other forms of park transportation don't allow for car seats (sometimes you will get a Magical Express bus that has seat belts and they will allow it, but that hasn't been the norm). You can use a standard taxi, Uber, Lyft, etc. and bring your own car seats. I believe there are Uber family options that have car seats and the Minnie vans have car seat options. However, if you price these out, you may be in the same range as renting a car. If you are concerned about the safety of the kids on resort transportation, you should also think about what is safest for them in the airplane - which is also a car seat or CARES harness. Although at 5 and 7 they may be close to sizing out of the CARES harness and you can't use a booster seat on the plane, it needs to be a normal car seat ... so maybe just for your daughter.

In the past we have either rented a car (once we rented and brought bumble bums, but they really are not rated highly for safety) or took the risk of resort transportation.

You don’t need seats on the plane, or Disney transportation. Can you drive and park at the airport with your own seats? My kids just used the seatbelts on flights, and maybe use uber family if not using Disney transportation?

I'm not familiar with the transport options for the Swan and Dolphin. I'm assuming you can't do DME and that they don't have busses to DS. Is that right?

You can always walk to one of the Epcot area hotels and take their bus to and from DS.

It sounds like your kids meet the height and weight requirements for backless boosters. You could get two BubbleBum Backless Inflatable Boosters just for this trip. They're reportedly great for travel. That way, you can hire any car that has enough seats for your family without worrying whether they provide carseats. I'm big on car seat safety so I understand the you may not want to do this. Just wanted to throw it out there.

You don’t need seats on the plane, or Disney transportation. Can you drive and park at the airport with your own seats? My kids just used the seatbelts on flights, and maybe use uber family if not using Disney transportation?
I don't know much about Uber family, is there good availability in Orlando for this?

I'm not familiar with the transport options for the Swan and Dolphin. I'm assuming you can't do DME and that they don't have busses to DS. Is that right?

You can always walk to one of the Epcot area hotels and take their bus to and from DS.
I think there are buses to Disney Springs, I just have no idea how often they run :(

We often stay at the Dolphin and use a town car for transportation from Orlando airport to the resort and back. Most will provide a car seat, some will have access to 2 car seats, if not maybe you could use a bubble bum for the 7yo. We like Tiffany town car but you can also check out the transportation board for more options. Most town car r/t reservations come with a complimentary 30 minute grocery stop, we take full advantage of this as well!

The Dolphin and Swan have the same Disney resort transportation as all the other on property resorts, this includes direct bus to Disney springs as well as early transportation to the parks for meals and tours.

Uber allows you to request car seat vehicles. We used it a ton last month and got mostly minivans. Only once did we get a car with only carseat.

This is a off topic but still car seat related. My DS still does best sitting in a car seat carrier in restaurants. But, he can sit up in a stroller & doesn’t want to sit in the car seat in the stroller all day. Does guest services or any place allow you to check anything up front that’s too big to take through the park all day? I know they have lockers to rent, but do they have any options for larger items like the car seat?

It sounds like your kids meet the height and weight requirements for backless boosters. You could get two BubbleBum Backless Inflatable Boosters just for this trip. They're reportedly great for travel. That way, you can hire any car that has enough seats for your family without worrying whether they provide carseats. I'm big on car seat safety so I understand the you may not want to do this. Just wanted to throw it out there.

Agreed. Bubble Bums are great, lightweight, roll up nice to put in a small bag, inflate super easy. We have one for our second car and 6 yo. Safety ratings look good.

If you really want the 5 point harness still there’s this thing. We got it for our 3yo (also good for older kids) but didn’t need it for Disney after all. It is safety tested and legal.

https://saferide4kids.com/product/ridesafer-travel-vest/

It is more bulky than the bubble bum. Does come in a light mesh backpack thing so the kids can carry it around.

For 5 and 7 I’d go w the bubble bum since it’s so lightweight, small when deflated and easy to use. Then put them in a bag and you’re free to take any uber, lyft or taxi!!

Note about the Minnie vans, we were there a week ago, tried to use the lyft app for a Minnie van which did NOT work like the Disney web site said and cast members had no idea what I was talking about when I asked how to call one. We did not plan ahead so I’m sure we missed something but I don’t know how reliable they are yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter