Traveling with Wheelchair- Driving or Transport?

Someone28624

Mouseketeer
This week I'm going to Disney with my grandma, who I will have a wheelchair for. I have only ever flown directly to Orlando and almost exclusively used the free transport. I've never had a car on property before.

This trip I'm flying into Fort Myers and driving to Orlando. I'll have a rental car (SUV) and her wheelchair, which I'll be pushing. She doesn't have the coordination for an ECV.

I’m wondering what people’s experiences have been getting from the hotel to the park. Are the buses easier or driving? I’m thinking for MK the bus will be easier since we would have to transfer anyway, but for everything else, driving is probably easier.

I my opinion, the bus transport will be easier. (I use a personal wheelchair an have tried both)
The bus takes you directly near the park entrance.
With a car (and no disabled parking permit) you have to use the parking lot tram.

I my opinion, the bus transport will be easier. (I use a personal wheelchair an have tried both)
The bus takes you directly near the park entrance.
With a car (and no disabled parking permit) you have to use the parking lot tram.

I should have mentioned that we will have a disabled parking permit. I'm not sure where the disabled parking is.

Ah, thats a whole different thing.
The disabled parking is at the front of the parking lot (unfortunatly I'm not able to park there).
You can walk to the park entrance without using the tram.

I’m wondering what people’s experiences have been getting from the hotel to the park. Are the buses easier or driving? I’m thinking for MK the bus will be easier since we would have to transfer anyway, but for everything else, driving is probably easier.
Had not mentioned this, because MK had been already said, that the bus would be easier.

This week I'm going to Disney with my grandma, who I will have a wheelchair for. I have only ever flown directly to Orlando and almost exclusively used the free transport. I've never had a car on property before.

This trip I'm flying into Fort Myers and driving to Orlando. I'll have a rental car (SUV) and her wheelchair, which I'll be pushing. She doesn't have the coordination for an ECV.

You will find that using the buses (and boats, Monorail & Skyliner) are all pretty easy with your Gma; just let the Cast Members (or bus drivers) know that you have never done this before, and they will give you clear instructions to follow 🙂

Buses have a built-in ramp, boats & Monorail have a ramp that a CM will place for you. The Skyliner lines up perfectly with the station platform and you roll right on.

Main thing to remember is that anytime Gma is parked in her wheelchair somewhere to set the brakes firmly. If she doesn't want to sit in the wheelchair while on the bus (or other transport) she does not have to; you have the option to seat her and fold and hold the chair - just be prepared to hang on to it!

At the Resort, remember that WDW Resorts should not charge for parking with a handicapped placard. Be sure to have the license plate number for your rental car, and let the front desk know the tag number, your room number and that your Gma's placard will be on display.

We often drive down, and park our car and then use Disney transportation for the whole time we are there! I'm on *vacation* at WDW, and I want someone else to do the driving - and the Disney transport tends to get you as close to the Parks as possible! 🙂

I hope you both have a wonderful time on your trip - if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask us!

I agree with the others regarding using WDW transportatio.
We have a daughter in a wheelchair and use WDW transportation on all our trips to WDW.
If we have a car, we do use it at least a few times going to the parks. The handicapped parking areas are the closest parking areas to the park entrance, but often are still quite a walk, especially if you are in the edges of that parking area or in the overflow area. Those lots don‘t have tram service, but that doesn’t really matter that much if you have a wheelchair.

It’s easier for us to use WDW transportation because we don’t need to lift our daughter into the vehicle or take her wheelchair apart to fit into the trunk (she has a custom manual wheelchair that doesn’t fold side to side like most rental wheelchairs).

Home now. We had a wonderful trip! We ended up exclusively using Disney transport. It was much easier than folding and loading the wheelchair. The buses at AKL were much more efficient than I'm used to at my usual resort- CBR.

I was charged for parking. I didn't think I would be but there it was on the receipt at check out and I wasn't sure who to take it up with.

Home now. We had a wonderful trip! We ended up exclusively using Disney transport. It was much easier than folding and loading the wheelchair. The buses at AKL were much more efficient than I'm used to at my usual resort- CBR.

I was charged for parking. I didn't think I would be but there it was on the receipt at check out and I wasn't sure who to take it up with.
Email guest services now that you are home and they should refund you. In the future, you can ask anyone at the front desk and they can adjust charges. Gald you had an awesome trip.

Someone...I was hoping that I would see that you had a wonderful time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter