Traveling with an 8 month old: stroller or carrier?

Definitely both!

I assume you use a carrier at home--that would make a great, familiar "base" for your child. Both our boys loved their slings so much, they continue to sleep with them. One son is 12, the other is, um 21! But, it became their "love object". So, great to have on a busy vacation in an unfamiliar place.

If you don't currently use a carrier often, I recommend you use it more between now and your trip. We found that both our girls hated the carrier after a few weeks, and refused to go into one. I carried them on my hip instead. Every child is different.

The stroller will be great for hauling stuff and nap times. Plus, depending on how big your baby is, you might need the break.

I would take both. My son was six weeks on his first trip and was having no part of being in a stroller, so he ended up in the carrier the whole week. By about the third day, my shoulders were so sore from the added weight and he was a tiny baby.

Another vote for both! We didn't get there until DS was 1, but we took our stroller and a hip carrier, and it was great! You'll appreciate the stroller for napping and all the gear, and the carrier to free up your hands in line.

This is not my photo, but looks close to the One Step Ahead carrier I had for DS around the time we went:

61DyQf0ic1L._SY355_.jpg

I liked it because it folded up really small when we weren't using it - just looked like a fanny pack.

My little guy is 9 months. We typically bring the stroller and the Lillebaby. He uses the stroller more than the carrier now that he's 20lbs and wants to see/touch stuff, etc.

Bring both.

You know - I'd probably make the decision right before you leave. My DD went through a period where she refused the stroller and then she hated the baby carrier. Babies (and kids) are weird.

The carrier will be nice for lines, but otherwise I much prefer using a stroller. Even if you’re more of a babywearer than I am, I would bring both and just park the stroller in a designated area if you’re not using it. Best of both worlds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!