Traveling with a Toddler (& zombies!)

VAis4DISlovers

Earning My Ears
Hello DIS community. This is my first PTR; it's where I will do my planning for my family's upcoming cruise on the Fantasy (Oct 27-Nov3). In my cabin, it will be me me the DH and our DD, who will be 2 when we cruise. We also have my parents and 2 brothers is an adjoining cabin, and two-recently abandoned cabins to fill for our family vacation!

On top of any random goodies I post along the way, I will absolutely post (and frequently update) the following:

• packing list- with reasons for items that seem random
  • travel itinerary
  • events not to be missed
  • tips for traveling with a toddler
  • Disney trips & tricks.
  • fish extender planning/ideas

Along the way I will also be posting about events and activities I find for the teen groups and college club because in our second cabin I'll be planning for my two brothers (16 and 19).

This is my DH's first Disney cruise, but my 4th and DD's second-- We are SOO excited! We're coming Mickey! Ok so that part won't be nearly as funny to the rest of you, but it's a great intro to my Disney story and my family will get a kick out of it... I usually refuse to say it these days (too many requests, and laughs, over the years!). See, it all started over 25 years ago- Dad was in the military and we were stationed at Fort Bragg- I was 2, maybe 3, and we were doing our first family trip to Disney. Driving down is NOT easy on a toddler or her family-I now know this from the carseat AND the driver's seat- but drive we did. We're driving and driving and driving.... and FINALLY I see Mickey, on a billboard I guess. Out of nowhere I shout, "We're coming Mickey!" After all, he really needed to be kept in the loop! So over the years my parents adopted it as the family trip saying, and then shared the story of how I was practically climbing out of my seat to tell Mickey with my now husband, Easton- and he get's in on the action, too.
Truth be told, I don't really mind the teasing, especially now that I have a little of of my own (though through the teenage years I was rather touchy over it). I'm excited to share my memories of "growing up Disney" with my daughter Cadence, and help her make her own memories over her lifetime. Along the way I'll drag DH, he's happy to let me take the lead on all things planning and decisions. This suits me just fine, as I'm more than a little bossy (just ask my family!). Ok, l'm getting started- 21 weeks to go befofre we embark on The Fantasy's First Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Cruise: Zombies of the Caribbean!

I'll be editing this information throughout, for now it's going to be in a simple list form, as things get closer I"ll start organizing it into categories and such.

Bring some clothespins. They are great for hanging up swimsuits, etc.
Bring some Lysol or other "fragrant spray" for the bathroom.
Bring an inexpensive hanging shoe rack...those pockets are great for tanning oil, cameras, etc. Keeps it organized and easy to find.
nightlight
small extension cord with 3 outlets
extra duffle bag in luggage for the return trip home. Get a tough duffle bag and you can stuff a good bit of clothes in there and reserve your actual suitcases for strange shaped purchases that we always seem to be able to find.
extra ziploc bags. They come in very handy for packing just about anything that you would want to keep contained. They also come in handy for keeping food sealed - or packing small snacks for land excursions.
pillow case OR frame mat with markers for character signing

In the Day Bag-
swimsuits
Mickey gloves to wave farewell to Florida with, of course!!!

bring plenty of small bills ($20's or less) if you choose to do ports on your own -- as you will likely be told (by cabbies, store owners, etc) that they cannot break anything bigger
Remember to bring one dollar bills to tip the folks who deliver your room service orders.

If you are a "foodie" be sure to tell your head waiter and ask for recipes as they will happily share.

If you don't ask, you don't get. If you have a special event happening in your family, and would like something special - ask! They might say yes, they might say no - but if you don't ask, you don't get.

use the showers at the gym- guys get free shaving kits, full-size showers (great for "big guys").

clothespins, not just for your laundry, but also for keeping your towel on the chair.

GS has single doses of "stuff" like tylenol, ibuprofen, bandaids, etc. Just ask. They also have discrete bags of emergency "supplies" when your daughter needs them and the ship is in port (so the gift shops are closed). And WHY can't that child count to 28?????

I would also suggest bringing cash (I might have missed this on your list) on Castaway Cay to mail any post cards you want to send from there. The post office only takes cash. We printed address labels for our post cards too - for the people to whom we wanted to send them. That way we didn't have to carry the address book and could buy the cards on board or use the ones in our stateroom.

(A quick note on boarding numbers- they no longer date stamp the numbered boarding passes you receive. But keep in mind they do take them from you upon presenting them at the boarding area, so you will not get to keep them. If you want one to keep for scrapbooking, you will have to pick up an extra one and tuck it away!)

If traveling with an infant or toddler, consider the babies travel lite service that will deliver diapers, formula, etc. to your cabin. And, if you order directly from their web site it is cheaper than using the DCL link!

get onto Castaway Cay early and snag a free wagon or jogging stroller for the day (on the path).

contact the dining room on occasions where baby keeps you from starting/finishing dinner, they sent a plate up to the room for us instead.

I always carry a small clear cosmetic bag (clear so you can see everything in it easily) filled with things that might come in handy. It doesn't take much room, and I saved someone's luggage once because I had duct tape. IN that little bag I carry the duct tape, a small sewing kit, highlighters (for the Navigators), post-it notes (to leave for family or friends or your steward if you need to request something), string, rubber bands, paper clips, and a pair of small scissors. The only thing we have ever had a steward even hesitate to bring us was a pair of scissors.

It would have saved our sanity many, many times over if we had just brought the stroller with us. If you are in the same situation as us, thinking how your two or three year old hardly uses the stroller anymore, that you won’t need it…..do think it over carefully. Yes, we could have “rented” one onboard for free (there is a $200 refundable deposit), but every time we thought we’d just go get one, we decided oh we’ve come this far, it couldn’t get any worse, etc. -yet it always did. Parents of toddlers, heed my warning and bring your stroller. You won’t regret it!

this has different names: Wendy and friends Tea, Princess Tea,...It is free but you need a ticket and they go fast. As soon as you board, go to Guest Services, and get on the list for tea. They will have different days available but it is very limited. They introduce your Princess or Prince by name, show the proper way to pour tea (apple juice) and how to hold your cup. They also show you how to dance then take pictures. I was on the Wonder this week and had tea with Snow White.

ok so technically this is more of an excursion... Atlantis is nice but very over priced. Look into rooms at the Comfort Suites....usually its cheaper to get a room there to get the wristbands for Atlantis. It's super easy and cheap to taxi over to Atlantis from the dock.

Castaway Cay 5k0 again, not on the boat...maybe i'll change the name of this post.

Island Jam is a character breakfast, and it is offered to everyone once throughout the cruise. Currently you can expect to be assigned the character breakfast on the sea day after your first visit to Animator’s Palate. So those with the APL rotation go Sunday, those with LAP go Monday, and those with PLA go Thursday

Adult Costume Contest (photo courtesy of nenner1's PTR, hope she doesn't mind!)
CruiseOct2010670.jpg

CruiseOct2010284.jpg

like this set up!
FE12.jpg

Pixie Dust - For another downright Disney gift, you could create small vials of pixie dust. These are especially appreciated by preschool and early elementary children who are fans of the Disney Junior show, Jake and the Neverland Pirates. They’re easy to make, too! Just fill small vials with glitter. Slip each vial into a gold organza pouch and finish it off by fastening it to a loop of suede or leather. Voilà, you’ve got yourself a pixie dust pouch just like Izzie’s.
FishExtendergiftideas2-200x300.jpg

bottlecaps- blog.suchthespot.com/wp-content/2011/01/FE12.jpg

P5240757.jpg

So I've had some time on my hands the last few days as I'm currently on short-term disability... needless to say I have spent WAY too much time online! I've been searching fervently for the perfect FE gifts. I stalk pinterest, as if new ideas may have posted in the last hour while I was away from the computer. It's a bit ludicrous actually, and I know this- but I can't help myself!
I'm in need of an intervention- and there is months to go- plus, I still can't decide what to do for my FE gifts! Urg.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter