• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Traveling w/infant and I need HELP!!

prncssjas

Running, Disney, Aladdin...
I really need help for traveling with my six month old. DH and I will be traveling in December to Orlando from Detroit (non-stop) via Spirit Air. When DH called to reserve the flight, they told him that my son would not need a ticket--that he was a "lap ticket" meaning he would be seated and secured in my lap. Does this sound correct to anyone? It doesn't sound safe to me and I am wondering if anyone has experienced this. I thought I was supposed to bring along his car seat? Or not? I have never done this before.

Also....when traveling from the airport to your resort, if you go with a transfer (ie Mears, Tiffany Town car, etc) do they provide car seats? Are we supposed to bring it along ourselves?

When traveling around the World using Disney buses, do we need his car seat? Does he sit in my lap??

I have no clue how this works and I will be traveling in December. Any input or help would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS!
:)

It sounds like that you aren't renting a vehicle in Orlando, right? The reason the airline told you what they did was that technically infants under 2 do not have to purchase a seat on an airplane. Yes, it is somewhat of a risk having your baby "sit" in your lap. We have done this with our little boys. Are we necessarily proud of it, no? You will not be using a child seat on the Disney buses. Your baby will just sit in your lap. I don't think that the buses have seat belts to afix a car seat to. For Mears, can't say if they provide a car seat or not, we have never used them. We always rent a car and have checked our car seat with our luggage. The youngest that we flew with one of our boys without a carseat was 15 months, so they could sit up if an empty seat was available. Our in-laws did buy our oldest a seat when we flew to a family wedding out in Reno from Ohio. We brought our car seat then because we had a guaranteed seat for him. I would ask the airline about what you should do because unless a seat is open you will have brought along a carseat that would have to be gate checked and you would not get much use out of it. Sometimes a plane can fill up at the last minute so who knows if there will be a free seat or not for your baby. I sort of rambled but hopefully there was something in here that helps.

Children under the age of 2 are allowed to fly as "lap babies" for free. However, most airlines also offer 1/2 price fares for children under 2 as an incentive to get you to purchase a seat. On all of the trips we took with dd before she turned 2, we always went ahead and bought her a seat since at 1/2 price it was never very expensive. It was SO WORTH it to us to be able to secure her in her own carseat and know she was safe in the event of turbulence etc. She was also used to her own carseat and therefore comfortable and happy. If you can spare the extra money, I would definitely consider doing this.

Most of the "towncar" services will provide a carseat if requested in advance.

Public transportation (including buses, taxis, shuttles etc.) are exempt from carseat laws. Therefore, you will find few, if any, forms of public transportation that will provide any type of restraint. On a bus or in a taxi etc., you will be expected to hold your child as a form of "restraint." This is why we always rent a car so that we know our child is properly restrained but many many people are comfortable using public transportation.

We have found that bringing our own carseat is a bit cumbersome but with two adults it is certainly doable. My dh usually takes the carseat down the airplane aisle and gets it installed. Then dd and I follow about 5-7 minutes later (after folding up the stroller for gate check etc.) and get us all settled. We always wait until the VERY END to disembark to make it easiest for us and other passengers. We also have a backpack carrying bag for our carseat so that we don't have to carry by hand it through the airport. It makes it much easier to transport and keeps it clean etc.

Good luck and have a great trip!

Good luck in securing a "child's fare", we have never been able to "get" one when flying with our boys. This covers 6 different flights when 1 of them was under 2.

Hi everyone. Thank you so much! These responses are very helpful. I am very worried about my son's safety and didn't know how other parents did this. Because Spirit does not offer the 1/2 off air fare, I will simply hope that the seat next to us is vacant--we are taking an evening flight so I am hopeful.

Thank you again for your responses everyone. Traveling with small children is much harder than I thought it would be!

Thanks.

When you check in, be sure to ask if they will do an 'infant' block on a neighboring seat to your assigned seat - this will stop a seat assignment there unless it becomes absolutely necessary (i.e. full flight). And unless the flight is completely booked, take your child's car seat to the gate. If you are able to get a seat for your baby, then you'll have the car seat ready. If not, just gate check it.

Enjoy your trip...believe it or not, traveling with a 6 month old is a piece of cake - but then I'm comparing it to traveling with a 17 mo old and a 4 year old. :eek:

Princess Jasmine:

I would encourage you to purchase a seat for your infant if you can.

First, it is the only safe way to fly for an infant. A child strapped into their FAA approved car seat fairs much better in unexpected turbulance than one on your lap.

Second, after 14 flights with our daughter prior to age 3 (starting at 11 weeks) we have found that she is more content in her carseat. (and most kids even at that age have been conditioned that when they are in a carseat, they are strapped in and aren't getting out until they get to the destination). Great place for them to sleep at that age too! And, it will be much more comfortable for you--you will have more room for you and all of that babygear (and those around you).

Third, an evening flight is no guarentee of an empty seat. We fly out of Metro also; and have found since 9/11 and the cutback of flights, we have hit very few flights with empty seats--especially to Orlando (more empty seats on flights to Tampa).

Yes, you might get lucky and get a seat--but there are no promises. Not all airlines do infant blocking. Unfortunately, the only way to guarentee a seat for your child is to purchase one. And yes, the airlines don't require you to buy a seat for your child. But don't equate that with being the safest way for an infant to travel (not all states require a helmet for a motorcycle; but we all know the increased risked to closed head injuries without one--but I digress).

I guess I look at it this way--you have probably pulled out of your driveway a hundred times now with your child--and you probably have never had anything happen. But each time, I would guess that you buckle him or her into that car seat and ensure those straps are snug. And why? Because you know that the next time out, all it takes is you having to hit the brakes hard (not even an accident), and if that child isn't strapped in, he or she could be injured. Same risk--low, but ever present--- exists for turbulence, etc. on a flight.

No one here will fault you if you don't buy a seat. It is a common practice. What the bottom line is, is that you need to be aware of the potential issues; then evaluate the risk yourself and determine if you are comfortable with it.

Trudy

(and yes, we have bit the bullet and bought that seat for our daughter every time. sometimes, it meant a few less dinners out, etc. on a trip --but we have never regretted it).

Thanks for you responses again.

TrudyZ...I appreciate your opinion and I completely agree!!! My son's safety is more important than anything. I will call Spirit and see if I can secure another seat...

Anyone else have other ideas/tips/suggestions for traveling with 6 month olds?!!

Thanks!!!

:)

Don't forget a pacifier or something for your son to suck on . His ears will pop just like yours on take off and landing and will make him uncomfortable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter