traveler's checks

FigmentSpark

DIS Veteran
I just found a wad of old traveler's checks in my closet, right after BMO sent out a notice saying they don't cash them anymore.

Does anyone know who still cashes the things? Can I use them on my next trip, at least?

I just found a wad of old traveler's checks in my closet, right after BMO sent out a notice saying they don't cash them anymore.

Does anyone know who still cashes the things? Can I use them on my next trip, at least?

I seem to recall (way back when they had Disney dollars), that Disney would take traveler's checks for them. But it's been years since I've seen one. Have you checked whether you can deposit it at your local bank?

My bank stopped taking them this year. TD also stopped in 2017. I've checked the Royal and the CIBC websites and travellers checks don't even come up in the search. Still holding out hope there's something I can do with them.

I think AAA either still is a place people can get travelers checks or that they were until very recently. Given that, perhaps the AAA office nearest you may be able/willing to let you know if they know of any local banks that still accept them?

What type of Travellers Cheques are they? Visa? Amex? You can try contacting them directly to get direction. I know BNS branches still sell Amex Travellers Cheques.

I think AAA either still is a place people can get travelers checks or that they were until very recently. Given that, perhaps the AAA office nearest you may be able/willing to let you know if they know of any local banks that still accept them?
I hadn't thought about CAA. I could try there. I don't know if they cash them, though.

Amex. You think I might have some luck at ScotiaBank? I'll give them a try anyway.

Actually I think BNS likely stopped selling the Travellers cheques too, but they did still sell them at my branch last summer though, sorry for the misinformation. Maybe call Amex to find out what you should do, since it’s their product.

Try calling AMEX and find out who near you will cash them as most banks no longer accept them.

Visit americanexpress.com/useTC to find the most convenient exchange location. To cash a Travelers Cheque, date it in the upper right-hand corner, just like a personal check (some Cheque designs may not have the date line), and fill out the “pay to the order” line.
American Express Travelers Cheques - Customer Service Center

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/prepaid/travelers-cheques/service-center.html

I just tried this and it popped up with a few locations in Toronto (for example) National Bank was one.

So, Currency Exchange will take them, but only as a payment method to exchange cash. I don't really want to sell my USD but at least it's an option that's better than nothing. I'm going to pursue National Bank on Monday, and maybe a credit union. Also, I wonder if I can use them in the US somewhere?

Since they’re Amex, can you phone them to find out if they are still accepted in the US? When is your next trip? You can phone the hotel and ask them if they’ll accept them. Is it Disney? Maybe they’ll take them for room charges, or you can use to buy Disney gift cards.

Yeah, I'll have to phone them on Monday.

Hah! We just got back from a trip! I can keep them until next year, but it would be nice to have that money this year... now that it's found and all.

It's kind of funny, as I was watching Office Space yesterday and (spoiler?) they return the money using travelers cheques. At which I was actually wondering if people still use them.

Hopefully you can cash them out.

Ongoing saga, in case anyone's interested... I went to 3 banks today and none would cash the travellers checks. They said they don't even have a way to cash them as those relationships don't exist for the bank anymore.

So no to BMO, RBC and Scotia.

The good news is that they all recommend National Bank. The bad news is I can't get anyone to answer the phone at National Bank (just like all the other banks) and it's quite a drive from me, so that's for another day.

When I phoned AmEx, they said they could start a claim for me, but then I'd get the amount in Canadian, not American. What she did say, however, is that the U.S. doesn't have the issues that Canada has for cashing these things, so I shouldn't have any problem using them in the U.S. on my next trip. That may be my best option.

Now if only Disney could take them over the phone as a downpayment on my next trip, lol.

I suppose if it is a big enough amount, you could get an Amex card temporarily and then use the TC's to pay any charges. I would find it hard to believe that Amex wouldn't accept Amex TC's as payment on their own accounts.

Yes, you can use them at WDW. I recently used up the last of my US$ cheques there.
So at least they aren't kindling.

I suppose if it is a big enough amount, you could get an Amex card temporarily and then use the TC's to pay any charges. I would find it hard to believe that Amex wouldn't accept Amex TC's as payment on their own accounts.
I didn't get the impression AmEx would send me a card, just a cheque and it would be in CAD, which means they'd convert my USD and I don't want that.

How old are the cheques? Depending on what the exchange rate was when you bought them you could end up making money on the deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!