Travel with Nephew

Tinkerfan4ever

Earning My Ears
Hello all,

We are very excited for our upcoming family trip. My daugher and her boyfriend are coming and we are bringing the boyfriends nephew, age 5. What kind of travel documents do we have to have for the nephew since neither parent will be with him? Just his birth certificate? Something more? We don't leave until October, but want to figure it out now!
Thanks so much!

Hello all,

We are very excited for our upcoming family trip. My daugher and her boyfriend are coming and we are bringing the boyfriends nephew, age 5. What kind of travel documents do we have to have for the nephew since neither parent will be with him? Just his birth certificate? Something more? We don't leave until October, but want to figure it out now!
Thanks so much!
when we have taken grandkids without parents only thing we have had is a letter for medical treatment if needed . that is assuming you are in the US not abroad

Technically, you shouldn't need anything to travel domestically with the boy. However, it would not be a bad idea to have a notarized letter from the parents granting you (or the boyfriend) permission to travel with and authority to make medical decisions for the boy. Having his medical insurance information is also a good idea. Include dates of travel and locations. If there is any kind of custody order in place, I'd suggest getting permission from both of his parents unless 1 simply isn't in the picture.

My daughter will be in Miami for an event and meeting my mom and I at MCO next month.
My mom and I are flying with my 2 year old grandson.
I have filled out a Minor Travel Consent form with my daughter and sil signing and had notarized.
I have also asked they make a copy of my grandson's birth certificate and a copy of their licenses.
I know I don't need all of this, but I do not want to be stopped and have any outstanding questions at
4 am LOL
I don't have the medical since she is meeting me at MCO from her flight but thinking I'll do this too just in case.

Last edited:
Sorry for high jacking your post, but my daughter's friend (who is 14) will be going with us this fall. I'm not worried about the air transportation portion since they are teens, but I do what a medical form just in case of injury.

Does someone have a link to a generic consent to medical treatment form?

Does someone have a link to a generic consent to medical treatment form?
It won't be a "consent to treat" -- what you need is a letter of authorization from the parent(s)/guardian(s) granting you permission to make emergency medical decisions for the minor traveling with you. A simple one or two sentences would suffice:

I/we, [parent name(s)] authorize [your name] to make medical decisions on behalf of our child [friend's name] in our absence while traveling.​

It won't be a "consent to treat" -- what you need is a letter of authorization from the parent(s)/guardian(s) granting you permission to make emergency medical decisions for the minor traveling with you. A simple one or two sentences would suffice:

I/we, [parent name(s)] authorize [your name] to make medical decisions on behalf of our child [friend's name] in our absence while traveling.​

Very helpful. Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter