Travel Time in LA

V.B.

Mouseketeer
Hey there! As my family and I will most likely be in the LA area in the Spring of 2024, I'm wondering what would be a somewhat "central" area to stay in? We'd wanted to do Universal, possibly the Griffith Observatory, a WB tour and try to get to a beach. I'm from the Toronto area, so am very used to sitting in traffic (our freeways are ALWAYS jammed). I know LA is a huge sprawling city and I've heard that it can take two hours at times to get to some of the attractions that I've mentioned. We're going to have our car, so don't need to be near the airport.

Oh, also, what is the Hollywood Museum like? Is it worth spending a couple of hours there? Thanks so much for any info :D!

I would stay in Burbank! You could do all the above plus look for celebrity graves at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery and enjoy dinner at Walt's favorite restaurant-Tam O SHanter. Paramount Studios is also fun.

Are you trying to combine all of that with Disneyland and not change hotels? Los Angeles and Orange County are so large that nothing is really central. That said, Long Beach might work for you. It has easy access to freeways going in all directions. Where ever you stay, you'll have to pay close attention to rush hour traffic.

In my opinion, there are better museums than the Hollywood Museum. You might check out the area around LACMA, The Academy of Motion Pictures Museum, Peterson's Automotive Museum, La Brea Tar Pits and The Grove/Farmers Market. If you are going into DTLA, the Grammy Museum is interesting and Grand Central Market is fun.

I would stay in Burbank! You could do all the above plus look for celebrity graves at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery and enjoy dinner at Walt's favorite restaurant-Tam O SHanter. Paramount Studios is also fun.
Thank you! Appreciate the info!

Are you trying to combine all of that with Disneyland and not change hotels? Los Angeles and Orange County are so large that nothing is really central. That said, Long Beach might work for you. It has easy access to freeways going in all directions. Where ever you stay, you'll have to pay close attention to rush hour traffic.

In my opinion, there are better museums than the Hollywood Museum. You might check out the area around LACMA, The Academy of Motion Pictures Museum, Peterson's Automotive Museum, La Brea Tar Pits and The Grove/Farmers Market. If you are going into DTLA, the Grammy Museum is interesting and Grand Central Market is fun.
My kids would rather do Universal than Disney (although, we might consider it to do Rise of the Resistance). So, being near Disney is not essential. Thank you for the info about the Museums. Our travel time is not set into stone, so we can stay longer if we want to do more. I'm from the Toronto area and heavy traffic is very much part of our lives too, so we'll be prepared for it (and I'm already planning it).

I had hoped to not change hotels, as I find that exhausting. Are the things that I mentioned wanting to do on opposite sides?

My kids would rather do Universal than Disney (although, we might consider it to do Rise of the Resistance). So, being near Disney is not essential. Thank you for the info about the Museums. Our travel time is not set into stone, so we can stay longer if we want to do more. I'm from the Toronto area and heavy traffic is very much part of our lives too, so we'll be prepared for it (and I'm already planning it).

I had hoped to not change hotels, as I find that exhausting. Are the things that I mentioned wanting to do on opposite sides?
I'm surprised you are asking on a Disney forum if you aren't interested in Disney.

Universal, WB and Griffith Park are all relatively close to each other. You can likely find a hotel in that area.

I'm surprised you are asking on a Disney forum if you aren't interested in Disney.

Universal, WB and Griffith Park are all relatively close to each other. You can likely find a hotel in that area.
I know, lol! I had actually thought we'd be spending a day in Disney (we still might), but both kids are wanting to see Harry Potter and some of the other rides at Universal. I'd rather do Disneyland! I haven't been there since I was a child.

Is there one beach that is better than others? Or are they all relatively nice and if we're in the Universal area, are we looking at a couple hours of driving to get to a beach?

Is there one beach that is better than others? Or are they all relatively nice and if we're in the Universal area, are we looking at a couple hours of driving to get to a beach?
What are you looking for in a beach? Do you want to see the sand and water and drive away, or are you looking at spending time on the beach?

Many people recommend Santa Monica. I find it to be dirty and crowded. You'll find more of surf, beach volleyball scene in the South Bay (Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach). Palos Verdes has the cliffs overlooking the ocean. Orange County beaches are beautiful, but too far if you are staying in northern LA County.

My kids would rather do Universal than Disney (although, we might consider it to do Rise of the Resistance). So, being near Disney is not essential.
Do you understand that 'Rise of the Resistance' at Disneyland basically Tower of Terror? It’s not a roller coaster like in EPCOT at Disney World.

EDIT: I’m wrong. Sorry for the confusion. I was thinking about 'Guardians of the Galaxy'. Guardians is a roller coaster at EPCOT at DisneyWorld and Tower of Terror at Disneyland.

Rise of the Resistance is the same at both Disneyland and Disneyworld.

Last edited:
Do you understand that 'Rise of the Resistance' at Disneyland basically Tower of Terror? It’s not a roller coaster like in EPCOT at Disney World.
Ah, that changes things! Thank you, I didn't realize that. I thought that the lands were almost identical and therefore the rides would be the same.

Rise of the Resistance is not Tower of Terror?? Are you thinking of Guardians of the Galaxy? Because, yes, that's true.

But, to the OP, Galaxy's Edge is exactly the same in Florida and Anaheim. (Only difference is that Anaheim usually gets new characters first.)

Rise of the Resistance is not Tower of Terror?? Are you thinking of Guardians of the Galaxy? Because, yes, that's true.

But, to the OP, Galaxy's Edge is exactly the same in Florida and Anaheim. (Only difference is that Anaheim usually gets new characters first.)
Oh, my bad. I’m not thinking straight. You’re right. I’ll edit my previous post.

We generally stay in Beverly Grove which is about as central as it gets in LA. You also have access to many excellent attractions beyond theme parks and movie studios like La Brea Tarpits, The Original Farmers Market, LA Academy Museum, Petersen Automotive Museum, LAMCA (undergoing renovations) and access to excellent shopping and dining in a very pleasant walkable area. With a car it’s a great area to stay in LA. Santa Monica is another good area if you want a beachside area although it’s quite expensive. Hollywood is also fine but I’d tend to only recommend it for people without a car or on a tight budget as it’s not the most attractive area in LA.
I’d only recommend Burbank if you’re visit was a couple of nights for Universal, Hollywood and movie studios. It’s a long way from most of what LA has to offer.

Hello! Former Toronto-nian here, now a So Cal local. While both cities share abysmal traffic, do not discount LA traffic. The best I can compare it to would be trying to go from City Hall to the Gardner and it taking 45min to an hour, but then no let up once you are on the Gardner. Stop and go all the way on the 401 or QEW into the GTA. But with double the number of lanes. So just pack your patience and realize it will take longer than you think - you’re already ahead of most in the traffic tolerance department. The good news is … no snow or ice during that commute! ;)

How many days do you have for your CA trip? You can easily do the Griffith Observatory enroute to OC if you decide to add Disneyland or an OC beach. I would definitely switch hotels if you do decide to do this as it would be like driving to Niagara Falls and back in rush hour.

My fave hotel near Universal is the Garland Hotel. My boys still talk about our stay there in 2021. It has the feeling like you are staying at some old Hollywood exec’s estate or something. Great vibe and the trolley to Universal is fun and convenient. Great restaurant as well.

My fave beaches are Newport and Laguna in Orange County. Venice and Santa Monica are iconic and closer to universal but I prefer the more laid back vibe in OC.

Universal is at best a half day park for my family. With the new Super Mario World perhaps could extend that (we haven’t been yet.) Have you been to Universal Orlando? If so you will be disappointed with Hogsmeade as that is it. No Hogwarts Express, no Diagon Alley, etc. I mention that because, indeed, our boys were like - is that it!?!

HTH!

Hello! Former Toronto-nian here, now a So Cal local. While both cities share abysmal traffic, do not discount LA traffic. The best I can compare it to would be trying to go from City Hall to the Gardner and it taking 45min to an hour, but then no let up once you are on the Gardner. Stop and go all the way on the 401 or QEW into the GTA. But with double the number of lanes. So just pack your patience and realize it will take longer than you think - you’re already ahead of most in the traffic tolerance department. The good news is … no snow or ice during that commute! ;)

How many days do you have for your CA trip? You can easily do the Griffith Observatory enroute to OC if you decide to add Disneyland or an OC beach. I would definitely switch hotels if you do decide to do this as it would be like driving to Niagara Falls and back in rush hour.

My fave hotel near Universal is the Garland Hotel. My boys still talk about our stay there in 2021. It has the feeling like you are staying at some old Hollywood exec’s estate or something. Great vibe and the trolley to Universal is fun and convenient. Great restaurant as well.

My fave beaches are Newport and Laguna in Orange County. Venice and Santa Monica are iconic and closer to universal but I prefer the more laid back vibe in OC.

Universal is at best a half day park for my family. With the new Super Mario World perhaps could extend that (we haven’t been yet.) Have you been to Universal Orlando? If so you will be disappointed with Hogsmeade as that is it. No Hogwarts Express, no Diagon Alley, etc. I mention that because, indeed, our boys were like - is that it!?!

HTH!
Thank you so much! These days, a week-end trek to Niagara can easily take close to three hours along the QEW. Thank you for the advice and comparisons, it helps me plan things, plus ANY drive on a freeway is better without snow, lol! Thank you also for the info about Hogsmeade. I'll look into the Garland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter