Travel Resorts of America SCAM?

rrehman

Disney fan with a passion for cruising!
Has anyone had any experience on Travel Resorts of America. We just purchased a RV from Camping World of Harrisburg, PA and included was 12 free nights of camping at one of the six Travel Resorts of America Campgrounds. I just made our first reservation, and during the first full day of our camping we will the "VIP Tour." If we cancel the tour, or my wife does not attend, they will charge us a $69.00 fee, otherwise our weekend of camping is free. They said after our tour we will get a free meal and our 12 nights of free camping. After doing some research it appears the "Tour" is a high pressure sales pitch for a camping time share/membership. Anyone out there have any more information on this before I make a decision on keeping or canceling my trip?

Thanks,
Rob

Has anyone had any experience on Travel Resorts of America. We just purchased a RV from Camping World of Harrisburg, PA and included was 12 free nights of camping at one of the six Travel Resorts of America Campgrounds. I just made our first reservation, and during the first full day of our camping we will the "VIP Tour." If we cancel the tour, or my wife does not attend, they will charge us a $69.00 fee, otherwise our weekend of camping is free. They said after our tour we will get a free meal and our 12 nights of free camping. After doing some research it appears the "Tour" is a high pressure sales pitch for a camping time share/membership. Anyone out there have any more information on this before I make a decision on keeping or canceling my trip?

Thanks,
Rob

These type 'high pressure' tours for time share/memberships have been around for decades. They take their sweet time trying different tactics to try to get you to buy, and won't quit until they get good and ready. Of course, your 'gift' will not be given you until 'they' decide to end the debacle, 'not' when you have had enough and want to leave!!

We were sucked into one when we were first married and had our first camper years ago - and I will tell you, 'never again'!!!!! No matter how good it sounds, their (no dealings with the particular one you mentioned) high pressure tactics are awful. Just be forewarned!!

When we bought our first class C I got a phone call that I had "won" a free trip. I was naive. When we were trying to set up the dates the lady said it was no problem that my spouse wouldn't be joining us because he was deployed. A few minutes later she called back and said sorry it was for intact families only. Luckily she ticked me off so badly with that wording I won't have anything to do with them.

We are a member of Thousand Trails and their presentation was totally low key. I may have gotten lucky though. If you're interested in something like what Travel Resorts offers, I would research them.

Similar to condo "free stay" offers. Years ago we attended one in Gatlinburg which offered us a free week stay for attending. It was endless offers on various cabins or condos. We saw one we were actually interested in and we offered to write a check to cover the cost...but they refused. Said it had to be financed.

I got loud about it and eventually was asked to leave when I kept interrupting the sales guys about refusing my money each time he quoted a price on a different condo.

They refused to honor the gift of free days stay.

It's a scam by my definition if it's anything like that experience I had.

Have done similar things when we are on trips down at Disney. (although it wasn't a Disney pitch). We typically did it for free tickets to the Arabian Nights show (or similar). Trying to sell you the condo/time share. Ultimately, we just say No, No, No, enough that they let us go. Our response is usually that "We cannot see the value in it for US" and no mater how hard they try, they can't counter it. If I don't see the value in it, I am not buying it. What's funny is all the "Gala" and excitement going in, but when they finally give up they usually point us to a back door to the alley way or whatever. We have always gotten our promised gift, but sometimes we have had to fight for it.

we just say No, No, No, enough that they let us go. Our response is usually that "We cannot see the value in it for US" and no mater how hard they try, they can't counter it.

1) We have friends that can't really afford a big Disney vacation.
2) So, each year they attend a Time Share pitch to get deeply discounted tickets.
3) When the salesperson gets to "The Close", they ask if the bankruptcy they are going through RIGHT NOW will hurt.
4) End of sales pitch.

Oh, I love that approach. I think I will have to remember the Bankruptcy. :)

We haven't done them in a while because fortunately, I have a better job and I am able to better afford the things we want to do. However, the one time we had our DD who at the time was about 8. We had to bring her with us. After about an hour, our DD was getting anxious (no wanted to "Color" the pictures they had), so my DW took the opportunity to excuse herself to take care of DD, but it made it easier for me to say no and exit the "Show" and get our tickets.

For me, I can sit through the High Pressure sales..... It's annoying, but I know the tactics and can counter most everything they through at me with legitimate responses. One of the favorite selling pitches is, is that "If you are going to spend money on a vacation every year anyway....." But my counter is, "If I am low on funds.... I don't go on vacation, will you give me a pass on my timeshare costs during those times?" Of course they won't....

Of course you have to understand, I like playing with the telemarketers on the phone (even the ones that are outright scams such as the computer repair ones) and see how much of THEIR time I can waste.

We went to one many years ago, I think it was Thousand Trails, told us all these places we could camp for only $ and yada, yada, yada, kept telling them we couldn't afford what they wanted, finally they brought in another person, and told him the same thing, "well, we could just keep your truck for the payment!" Uh, ya, and exactly how am I suppose to pull a camper?

We stopped in at one of their campgrounds to check it out and part of the sales pitch was that you got deeply discounted camping at any of their affiliates in the US. I asked if the campsites in their affiliate campgronds were as nice as this place and he assured me that that all affiliIiates met the same high standard. Later, while we were touring the campground I saw a dirt parking lot with electric hookup boxes. I asked what they were and he said they were for campers coming from other affiliates. I said you mean these are the high quality discounted sites you get as a benefit when you travel? He just smiled and said thanks for coming by when he realized he had been caught in a lie.

Thanks,
Rob
Rob, we have and it pays for it self. We were not pressured to buy! Plus the coast to coast are discounted!

For me, I can sit through the High Pressure sales..... It's annoying

1) You are absolutely correct.
2) However, for those who can't afford the Disney Vacation Cost, such an inconvenience is the price they pay.
3) Being annoyed or "pushed" for 1½-2 hrs is worth the time/effort for the vacation.

1) You are absolutely correct.
2) However, for those who can't afford the Disney Vacation Cost, such an inconvenience is the price they pay.
3) Being annoyed or "pushed" for 1½-2 hrs is worth the time/effort for the vacation.

Oh, no doubt. That's what we did. Now I am glad I don't need to do that as much.

If you decide to do it make sure you let the salesperson know up front you aren't going to buy no matter what, also openly set your phone's timer or alarm function for the time the presentation is advertised to take. If the salesperson knows he has no chance up front, they generally will not push as hard; he will do the minimum he's required to. Do not feel sorry for the salesperson, they are playing a game of averages and are well aware that a certain percentage are not going to buy no matter what.

I was in "Sales" for awhile. (It's DEFINITELY not for me though) We were always "Trained" that you will get "NO" at least 3 times, and once you get past the 3 "No's" that it will be easier to get the "Yes"

While Sales is a good job for someone who can do it, I just could not.

Marshel, you are absolutely correct that it's a game of averages too. Still to try and deal with that many people to get the numbers... not for me. (On either side of the conversation).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter