Travel insurance

If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase your annual policy thru? I asked about that at ************.com and they told me that there weren't annual policies that covered cruises that left the US. Didn't make sense to me.
We also purchase an annual policy. We have used Allianz https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/ for the last three years. Filed one claim which was handled very efficiently online and to our complete satisfaction.

It's necessary! We bought it for the first time on our first cruise, and thank heaven we did. I had a medical problem come up and had to see the ship's Dr., then when we got home had to have a lot of tests and treatments. The final cost was over $5k! Insurance paid it all!! We've bought it every time since them, on cruises or other travel that was more than a few days. We had one more time we had to file a claim, and again, the insurance paid in full with no complaints! We've been very satisfied with their coverage and service. Living in FL, you would think that we have fewer expenses than those who come from a distance, but we also know that hurricane season can cause cancellations. If you buy your insurance before there is a named storm, it will cover you if your policy covers weather related issues. We make sure to get that every time!
Also, this year, with the corona virus, the landscape keeps changing with ships getting quarantined and not allowed to go into ports, or deciding to change itineraries on short notice. If you decide you don't want to sail on your ship with these changes, insurance can make that possible if you have that covered.

Highly recommend travel insurance, since you never know what might happen. Thankfully, have never used it, but it gives me a peace of mind for my family.

We've had to use travel insurance twice, and it looks like we'll have to use it again as DH is having more medical issues.

I highly recommend as well. My wife and I had 2 cruises booked for this past October (NYC to Bermuda, a one day break, then the Southern Caribbean out of PC). Did not buy trip insurance for either. This summer, my wife was diagnosed with cancer and had surgery in September. Chemotherapy was started in November. Her doctors kept saying that she would be able to take the cruises, so we did not cancel. A few days before the Bermuda cruise, she decided she was not comfortable traveling, so we cancelled at the last minute and forfeited 100% of the fare. We were hoping that she would feel good enough to travel on the second cruise, but unfortunately we ended up canceling that one as well and losing that fare as well. Since the doctors had said that she was medically able to travel, we probably would have needed a policy with a 'cancel for any reason' clause.

She is in between weeks of chemo, and we are going on a DCL cruise that leaves this Friday.

Any future booking I make will include trip insurance with the cancel for any reason rider

I highly recommend as well. My wife and I had 2 cruises booked for this past October (NYC to Bermuda, a one day break, then the Southern Caribbean out of PC). Did not buy trip insurance for either. This summer, my wife was diagnosed with cancer and had surgery in September. Chemotherapy was started in November. Her doctors kept saying that she would be able to take the cruises, so we did not cancel. A few days before the Bermuda cruise, she decided she was not comfortable traveling, so we cancelled at the last minute and forfeited 100% of the fare. We were hoping that she would feel good enough to travel on the second cruise, but unfortunately we ended up canceling that one as well and losing that fare as well. Since the doctors had said that she was medically able to travel, we probably would have needed a policy with a 'cancel for any reason' clause.

She is in between weeks of chemo, and we are going on a DCL cruise that leaves this Friday.

Any future booking I make will include trip insurance with the cancel for any reason rider

I’m so sorry to hear you lost both cruise fares and more importantly, I hope your wife is doing well.

Cancel for any reason policies are wonderful for needing to cancel before you depart. You still need to have coverage while you’re away, especially for medical and evacuation. In your instance, even though doctors may have said your wife could travel, the insurance companies would look at her diagnosis as a pre existing condition unless you were outside the dates for the look back period. This is where it is vitally important to understand the policies we all buy.

Having worked for years in insurance, I know from experience that many people think they are covered when they are not. Know your pre-existing condition clause and how many days ahead those pre existing conditions count. Know how much out of country medical insurance you are covered for as well as for medical evacuation. And just because you purchase a cruise departing in a short period of time, things happen.

Better to be safe than sorry

This.

As an example, the credit card we use to pay for our trips has travel interruption/delay and travel emergency medical coverage. But the pre-existing condition clause requires stability for 90 days, which is not reasonable/insanely risky to rely on/not always possible with my medical conditions. So I buy a separate annual travel medical policy that has a 7 day stability period (the shortest I could find, and it is an excellent policy with $10 million coverage while under age 59 and also covers medical evacuation and a limited coverage for remote non-medical evacuation).

SW

Depends on how much money you have riding on the cruise.

I would never travel without it. The amount of money you might lose could be a small/minor part if there are medical expenses in another country, evacuation expenses, additional expenses such as flights, hotel, passport (if you don't happen to have one with you), etc. I can generally afford to lose the non-refundable costs; it's the other costs. My dad got sick in Spain a few years ago with a lung infection - 9 days in hospital and had to travel home accompanied by an EMT with oxygen tank and had to go business class due to space requirements for the oxygen and last minute flights. Thousands of dollars of expense, totally covered by insurance and he only had to pay 1,000 Euros initially when he went into hospital which was then refunded to him by insurance. If I'd had to fly there and stay with him, his insurance would have covered that too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts