Travel Insurance

AnnaS

DIS Veteran
I have bought travel insurance in the past. Travel Guard and some other companies that I don't remember.

Just curious if there are any companies one has had a bad experience? Not to look at? Hoping to never have to use it of course.

Considering Travel Guard or Global Assistance - 3 night land tour/7 night Alaska cruise.

I don't recall who I've used for the actual insurance, but I always go through insure my trip dot com, as they provide ratings of the companies whose insurance they offer and reviews which help you decide which way to go. Easy to compare price vs. features too. The most important thing is to get it quickly after you book your trip to ensure maximum coverage (e.g., covers pre-existing medical conditions).

I go to that website too. You can see all options and compare. Nationwide is the only one that offers insurance specific for cruises. So that is what we did on our last cruise. I think if you want Cancel For Any Reason that gets expensive!

I can't recall the insurance company, but we had to cancel an expensive trip to Italy and they refunded all of our money. We always get the cancel for any reason insurance. Another time we had to cancel a Caribbean trip. That was refunded as well. Both cancellations were due to unexpected medical issues.

Yes, I went to that site insure my trip.......but so many companies come up lol.

I was just curious if anyone recommended one over others. Hancock, Nationwide, etc.

I will call one or two more tomorrow.

Thank you.

I've had to put claims in with Nationwide and never had any issue with getting paid.

If you're on Medicare make sure you get one that the health insurance is primary and not secondary.

Every time I went to the website that shows you all the company options, I always ended up going with Travelex. So now I just go to the Travelex website directly to buy a policy, which is underwritten by Berkshire Hathaway. I just initiated my first claim with them so we'll see how that goes, as obviously claims service is the true test of an insurer. It goes without saying to be cognizant of deadlines when utilizing travel insurance. Typically you must purchase within 14 or 21 days of initial trip deposit to get pre-existing conditions covered, as mentioned above. For this past cruise we did not do that, as we weren't positive that we were going to keep the booking. I ended up buying the insurance eight months after booking the cruise, four months before sailing, which was just around the time of our paid-in-full date. But our claim is for getting into a port late and missing a pre-paid third party excursion, so nothing to do with health! I believe we had 14 days after our return home to initiate the claim. Every insurance policy is different, so definitely read up on the exact details of what you are purchasing. And don't buy extra coverage that doesn't apply to you. @AnnaS, I know that you said you've purchased travel insurance before, so I'm just putting out details for someone who may be reading this who has never purchased travel insurance.

It is a confusing marketplace, but there is something for everybody out there! Have fun planning your vacation!

Definitely hard to go with the reviews. Most of them say that they had no issues with the company, but they did not have a claim in. The was that had a claim in, practically complained about all of them. Took too long, certain incidences were not covered.

Just want it for peace of mind. We also put a deposit back in Jan. 2019. We should not have waited this long for the same reason. Wanted to make sure we were going. Air is booked now.......so finally purchased today. I went with TravelGuard again. More concerned with Medical/evacuation than anything else.

Thank you everyone.

Hello again! You can also look at the ratings that take everything about the company into consideration.
Anyhow, when we booked ours, for our cruise, one of the reasons we chose the more expensive cruise specific insurance was that many others say that you have to buy the insurance just in so many days after booking. So, you might want to double check that. Did you enter January when you put in your info? With that cruise coverage, you don't have to get the insurance until final payment date. Not the date you did the deposit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts